UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Deadpool Movie Mates

Gmonkey2k

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To hear some in the X-Force box set thread tell it, we already have.

Yeah, i'm not going to entertain that argument. That's up there with 'Wave 16 Thor was Thunderstrike' and 'Bearded Cable is Stryfe'.

I'd think DST would want to focus more on X-properties next year, especially with Marvel's mass merchandising freeze on them.

I'd say comic book styled 2-pack waves and movie styled 4-packs.

For both Apocalypse and Deadpool, that's at least 24 figures that Hasbro won't be doing. May as well let all that money flow into the specialty market instead.

Marvel proper isn't pushing for them, but I'm not sure if that constitutes a "freeze" or not. Who knows how much autonomy Hasbro has in those discussions? I would be curious to hear if Zach knows about any mandates from Marvel about this or that property not being allowed or if Marvel is more hands-off or has less autonomy in determining what characters to focus on. My guess is that the contracts don't allow Marvel to tell Hasbro et al. exactly what to produce, so long as it is a covered property in their contract. Otherwise, they could end up trying to force Hasbro into producing characters that would better promote more current comics or whatever, that Hasbro would know wouldn't sell as well as something else, and that would hurt Hasbro's bottom line. I'm sure Hasbro will want to continue selling Wolverine toys.

Having said that, even if that is the case, the toy companies may listen to requests by Marvel, and may sometimes comply with them for the purpose of keeping a good relationship going.

Edited by karamazov80

When it comes to toys, keep in mind that Disney merchandise represents a huge amount of product at every retailer thanks to Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and all the Disney properties from Disney Princess to Winnie the Pooh. When The Mouse talks, retailers and manufacturers listen.

Marvel has chosen not to support Fox characters. They've deliberately removed them from their comic book style guides over the past couple years. That doesn't mean Marvel licensees can't go to Fox and license toys for X-Men or Fantastic Four.

However, Fox's movies are becoming less consumer-friendly. X-movies are dropping F-bombs and nudity. Trank's FF flick looks like an homage to Chris Nolan, which might be terrific for box office sales but not great for toys aimed at kids. Then there's this reportedly R-rated Deadpool film.

When it comes to product tie-ins, Marvel Studios is the safer bet in the mass market.

That said, adult collectors have more disposable income and we dominate the specialty market. So there.

I think X-Men are a big enough property that Marvel doesn't want to cut them off completely, they haven't canceled their book like they did the Fantastic Four, and I think Marvel Studios is ok with not having the X-Men, their cinematic universe is so huge already I don't know if there's room for the entire Mutant side of things. Would they take them back? I'm sure they would, but I think the Mutants are able to stand on their own more than the rest of the MU.

Supposedly Brian Michael Bendis walked away from the X-Men because Marvel was either killing off or fundamentally undoing everything that folks knew about the X-Men to this point. I'm not sure if their comics will continue or not, but apparently the plan is the say that

Magneto is the father of all the other Mutants, and is an Inhuman. And thus, the mutants were all really Inhumans. Or something stupid like that. Which again put the Marvel Studios movie strategy at the center of comic-related decisions, given that an Inhumans movie is in the pipeline and is supposed to be Marvel Studios' answer to the X-Men.

Supposedly Brian Michael Bendis walked away from the X-Men because Marvel was either killing off or fundamentally undoing everything that folks knew about the X-Men to this point. I'm not sure if their comics will continue or not, but apparently the plan is the say that

Magneto is the father of all the other Mutants, and is an Inhuman. And thus, the mutants were all really Inhumans. Or something stupid like that. Which again put the Marvel Studios movie strategy at the center of comic-related decisions, given that an Inhumans movie is in the pipeline and is supposed to be Marvel Studios' answer to the X-Men.

the rumor I had read was that post-Secret Wars the X-Men would be in their own pocket universe...which is pretty crappy in it's own right but if that spoiler is true, then I am done with Marvel. i understand that the movies make the money, but if they are really that fucking petty that they are gonna ruin 50 years of continuity and stories just to service the MCU then I am not buying another comic from them.

I'll still read the comics that interest me, but I certainly agree that the decision they appear to be making in the comics to basically make it a mirror of the MCU is very very shortsighted, and in some cases outright stupid. The development you are referencing in the spoiler tag is just foolish on so many levels.

I'll still read the comics that interest me, but I certainly agree that the decision they appear to be making in the comics to basically make it a mirror of the MCU is very very shortsighted, and in some cases outright stupid. The development you are referencing in the spoiler tag is just foolish on so many levels.

well i was sick with them before with all the constant renumberings and relaunches and bad events and killing off good books too soon (Hawkeye, Young Avengers, All-New X-Factor) that have dedicated fanbases and pushing stuff no one cares about (Inhumans/their 80th Avengers title) but if they are gonna really just blow up the X-Men and everything that fans know/love about them just because they are mad they don't have the movie rights, well that's just a bridge too far for me. I will miss Daredevil and She-Hulk but I have a bad feeling post-Secret Wars that the regular Marvel U is just gonna be more or less some shallow Ultimate/MCU-ed version of our beloved 616 anyways.

To me, it seems like while in other media they are learning all the right lessons from success, when it comes to what brought them here in the first place which is the comics, they're learning all the wrong ones. It seems like they are so afraid of somebody who has seen the movies picking up a book and it not just being the MCU on paper, they feel like they have to make everything match, when I would argue that over the last decade or more, they should know that success on film does not translate to the page very much. The same thing happened after Spiderman and X-Men were hits, they feel like they need to immediately make everything like the film, but if you just write good stories that are easy to access and fun to read, people will stick around anyway. If they so desperately want the comics to be the movie universe, why not just start an MCU book, like they do with the movie tie-in books?

To me, it seems like while in other media they are learning all the right lessons from success, when it comes to what brought them here in the first place which is the comics, they're learning all the wrong ones. It seems like they are so afraid of somebody who has seen the movies picking up a book and it not just being the MCU on paper, they feel like they have to make everything match, when I would argue that over the last decade or more, they should know that success on film does not translate to the page very much. The same thing happened after Spiderman and X-Men were hits, they feel like they need to immediately make everything like the film, but if you just write good stories that are easy to access and fun to read, people will stick around anyway. If they so desperately want the comics to be the movie universe, why not just start an MCU book, like they do with the movie tie-in books?

yeah, i really don't get why they haven't just launched a comic line based on the MCU that's aimed at kids. because that's where their fear comes from, that kids won't understand the comics...which is utter bullshit. i mean i started reading Marvel comics in the 80s coming into from watching Spiderman and his Amazing Friends and it didn't turn me off from Spiderman just because he and Iceman and Firestar weren't living together in a super secret dorm room and fighting Doctor Doom. kids are a lot more curious and more interested in exploring something than people give them credit for. not everything has to be dumbed down for them.

Edited by suicidewatch

I think it's the other way around, in that Marvel now is primarily concerned with the success of their films, and so comics take a back seat. These decisions, then, are geared more toward using the comics (and cartoons, and toys to the extent that they can) as a more straightforward way of promoting their films. And if the result is that they crap on 50 years of comics, then so what? Joe Q and friends will be laughing about that all the way to the bank. Edited by karamazov80