UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Original comic art

Anyone collect original comic art? I started getting into it a few years back. Its a rich mans game, IMO, but I do love to acquire pieces from time to time. Not just published art but sketches really. I only have one page of original comic art and its from Hulk (of course), the rest are original sketches mainly. I have pieces from Jim Starlin, Darryl Banks, Doug Wheatley, Arthur Suydam, Ethan Van Sciver, Greg LaRoque, Scott Dalrymple, Edward Gorey, and more. I usually get my heart set on a particular artist and do my best to get work from them, but I have been after Sal Buscema for quite a while with nothing to show for it.

A few pieces of mine.

20141126_155038_zps7cbcuy5j.jpg

20141025_134853_zps2mk8oson.jpg

20150323_201127_zpscnxw8w4z.jpg

hulkart1_zpsa94a1e19.jpg

I have gotten extremely lucky price-wise with each piece I have acquired. Nothing I have, cost me over $100 and most of them cost less than half that. Framing is another ball of wax and proper protection to the piece itself is always a concern. I couldn't pay $1000 for a published page and risk its survival in humid New Orleans.

Shane,when I accompanied you at C2E2 2014 whilst you attained the autographs of all those artists ,I entered another world ...so many 'real world' people in what I had considered a previously 'surreal world' . Amazing .

Yeah, I agree. Some artists become like rock stars and they are hard to even get to, but many other artists, even well known folks who do popular mainstream stuff, tend to sit looking bored. I enjoy speaking to them and looking at what they are working on. Eric Powell is a good one. I have stopped by his booth a few times and he is usually happy to sign books or just talk about what he is up to. Very approachable.

I can recommend Franchesco if you're looking for a fine fella to talk to, and Ethan Van Sciver is a blast both at cons AND on Facebook. Sketches usually aren't exorbitantly priced, but full blown commissions get up there. I have three "sketches" by Mark Brooks the I adore - Cable, Deadpool, and Domino. I'd kill to meet Atefano Caselli, but being based in Italy, that's less than likely.

I've been an original art collector since 2004. I used to go with sketches but they have become way to expensive for the quality that I would prefer. Nowadays I go towards published art. I'm a big fan of EVS art too. Here are some of my Van Scivers that i got over the years.

Ethan%20Van%20Sciver-%20JLA%2020%20pg%20

Ethan%20Van%20Sciver-%20Superman%20Batma

EthanVan%20Sciver-Hawkman%2013%20pg%2020

Ethan%20VanSciver-%20JLA%2020%20pg%207%2

Edited by Hawkeye's Junk

I have sought some of this out many times, but never came up with anything, through either eBay or the personal web pages of artists. I was looking into Alan Davis original art back in the late '90s I think. One day I'll hopefully have something from him, George Perez, Mike Zeck, and John Byrne.

Edited by karamazov80

I don't know if it falls within the realms of comic art, but i have purchased a few of the colour guides from back when comics were hand coloured.

So - it's not really the original sketch, or the inking, but the artist who adds colours to the work . Whether you call that art or not is up to you, but i found it's a reasonably inexpensive way to purchase something that is bright and eye-catching and illuminates a part of the comic creating process that i love so much.

I love the color guides Nessex and you are right, they tend to be very affordable. I don't have any, but mainly because I don't have any other colored art. Not yet anyway. Its not that I don't like it, I just have not gotten anything thats been beyond black line inking.

Ethan Van Sciver is so damned talented. He can just start drawing lines freehand and before you know it, it all comes together as an amazing piece of art. I recommend watching him if you can.

Those pieces are fantastic Hawkeyes Junk. Kilowog is a beast. I have been itching to get a nice Wonder Woman for my mostly manly collection, but was looking at some of her classic artists. You may have changed my mind.

Just last year I met José Luis García-López and, while I could have gotten a sketch for free, I was happy with him signing my Batman Converse hightop. He said it was the first time he'd ever signed a shoe.

Free?! Damn. He's easily the most underrated comics artist of all time, because he spent so much time doing the licensing stuff and not really drawing comics. I have the TwoMorrows book on him, and he seems like a really nice guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah:) I have a few pages from the Walking Dead as well as a ton of Adlard sketches from over the years. Also have a sketch of me and my girlfriend as CROSSED by Jacen Burrows

• 5 months later...

Things I used to have

-Bryan Hitch sketches for the Authority action figures

-G.I. Joe art from the Devil's Due run, including a few covers

Ended up selling all of that at different times as my interests changed.

Now, I've got 3 published pieces (and some sketches, but I think my daughter has way more sketches than I do!) I've got a very specific collection that I don't see myself ever getting rid of now.

oa1.jpg

Cassie Hack statue design by Tim Seeley. The art was printed in a TPB and a statue was made by a small print on demand company.

0a2.jpg

Hack/Slash vs Chucky cover by Seeley and Dan Davis

And my current favorite...

0a3.jpg

Tim Seeley's design for the Cassie Hack DST Femme Fatales statue that was just released!