UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The madness that is TRU.com

buttheadsmate

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other side to this is some people have to buy from people who resell on eBay bc their local TRU don't carry minimates. As for menagerie, clearly his strategy is working for him. I don't hate. It just kind of takes the fun out of collecting for me if you can just pay more to get whatever you want.

The other side to this is some people have to buy from people who resell on eBay bc their local TRU don't carry minimates.

I think the point people are making is that if your local TRU doesn't carry it, you should be able to order from TRU.com. Now that is not an option for US or UK customers.

As a newer collector I have bought from him a few times just bc it's easy. after hearing all of your opinions I will boycott him. ;)

I bought a few things from him when I first started collecting too. After he outbid me on an auction for a Namor/Atlantean soldier pack, I refuse to buy from him again. He ALREADY had 4 or 5 of those sets up for sale at twice the price I would've won that auction for. I will not support someone that greedy. Edited by Tetton517

Back in the day of collecting Star Wars figures, my motto was "Scalp all you want! They'll make more." That's because Hasbro generally had no qualms about offering more of the same figure, especially army-builders.

I recall a particular stormtrooper figure that collectors were going nuts over because they were in very short supply and everybody wanted multiples. One "collector" whose focus was collecting stormtroopers showed pics of the hundreds of stormtroopers he'd amassed, all opened and proudly on display. Plenty of people congratulated him while others criticized him for being a hoarder, despised even more than a scalper since none of his figures were available for purchase.

Patience eventually paid off. The stormtrooper figures made their way into future assortments. The next version even made it obsolete.

Unfortunately for us, DST rarely reissues figures, no matter the demand. They're better about army-builders not only because they pack them with variants but because recently they've offered Sentinels in two different assortments. The army dumps help and 4-packs like the Crazy 88s let us really go to town. Now do that with SHIELD and HYDRA agents, etc.

All that said, if enough people are being discouraged from shopping at TRU because of scalping, we need to take Zach's very good advice and contact TRU about it.

I think the point people are making is that if your local TRU doesn't carry it, you should be able to order from TRU.com. Now that is not an option for US or UK customers.

bingo.gif?w=300&h=169

I sometimes buy from menagerie sadly when im looking for parts or sometimes i buy from heroes-zeroes. But for the past 3 years ive been collecting and buying some minimates from him ive come to realize menagerie's prices are pretty ridiculous for a minimate and his 2packs

Could the lack of availability of Series 59 Bobby Drake variant IMO, be caused by the same type of buy-out (up), and how when it was an LCS release, or is it just that Series 59 was not carried by many, perhaps from existing peg dregs. I only saw this set offered at one LCS on my northwest coast (USA) fall/winter runs. Where oh where could they be?

I don't recall the production numbers of Wave 59 (anyone know for sure, Luke? BHM?), but those figures were available to pre-order for months. Most comic shops aren't eligible for custom case pack outs, so any comic shop that chose to carry Wave 59 may have only gotten 1 Bobby pack to begin with, and the fact it was packed with a high profile army builder like Sentinel, means they weren't going to hang around long.

Old TRU waves are a nightmare to get at eBay. Moonstone, Bullseye, Hulkbuster, Angel and Warpath cost me a lot of money. A LOT.

I'm from Brazil, which is completely out of the radar for you guys, and it's a pain everytime I have to look for a new non-movie TRU wave at eBay. But then, what choice do I have? Yeah, there are people earning money at eBay, but it seems like this is a game being played since the beginning of times.

Old TRU waves are a nightmare to get at eBay. Moonstone, Bullseye, Hulkbuster, Angel and Warpath cost me a lot of money. A LOT.

I'm from Brazil, which is completely out of the radar for you guys, and it's a pain everytime I have to look for a new non-movie TRU wave at eBay. But then, what choice do I have? Yeah, there are people earning money at eBay, but it seems like this is a game being played since the beginning of times.

What other choice do you have? We can help you out on here. I've still got extras of Marvel TRU 19 that I sell at basically cost + shipping instead of $19.99 per 2-pack.

What other choice do you have? We can help you out on here. I've still got extras of Marvel TRU 19 that I sell at basically cost + shipping instead of $19.99 per 2-pack.

Thank you a lot, MisterMiracle. I'm not looking for any specific set right now, since I've already paid 12-14 por each box from TRU 19... :( but thanx again! :)

I got lucky with most of the TRU Nightmares. The one I missed out on was Swordsman. And even then I'm okay with it since I never wound up with the rest of the Thunderbolts.

If you decide you want one, I would search for it on eBay and save the search so it alerts you, I wanted a second one for a custom and got it for $18. So they're not unreasonable.

Outside of Minimates I'm not on the American TRU site much at all, but I was browsing some Nintendo toys earlier today and saw several items limited to 10 or 5 or 3 per customer. I mean I know Pokemon is a much bigger blip on the corporate TRU radar than Minimates, but I just wonder whether that restriction is applied by request from the manufacturer or as a response to customer complaints or what?

Brazil is one of I think five countries we can sell Marvel Minimates to. They're definitely on our radar. But it won't change the fact that a major North American retailer buys enough to merit an exclusive set or even assortment.

Does TRU.com also ship to Brazil?

Brazil is one of I think five countries we can sell Marvel Minimates to. They're definitely on our radar. But it won't change the fact that a major North American retailer buys enough to merit an exclusive set or even assortment.

Does TRU.com also ship to Brazil?

Wow, didn't know you ship to Brazil. For the non-TRU waves or boxsets I usually look for Luke's store. My main problem are the TRU waves or old Minimates, which I have already got what I wanted.

Many of us resort to complaining on the boards. You could also attempt to trade for them, or beg, borrow, or steal them. Or, you could create your own customs. Another option is simply "do without."