UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The madness that is TRU.com

buttheadsmate

I'm not exactly innocent myself when it comes to buying multiples of any Minimate set from TRU.com but somebody somewhere needs to wake up & smell the bloody roses .

At least 62 sets of Wave 19 Quicksilver/Vision sets were sold to just one ebay dealer who is now selling them at $19.99 a set .

Why bother having a TRU short-packed variant set when that set is scalped as soon as it hits TRU.com ??

As soon as prospective buyers look for their set of 4 on TRU.com & see one set is unobtainable , they'll not bother with the other 3 ....then they'll pass on the wave....then they'll pass on the licence......then they'll pass on the line .

Pathetic .

Edit : you can add 41+ Wolverine/Sentinel packs to that dealer's inventory .

Good luck to the guy by the way because at least he has a marketing strategy that actually works .

Edited by buttheadsmate

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I avoid him now. Bought a Scott Lang Ant-Man from him for $7.99. He sent me a message that the listing was inaccurate, and that he didn't have any in stock, and when he does they're $14.99. He then offered to sell me the two-pack which he did have for $19.99.

Yeah, pass.

What can they do? Maybe limit so many per order, but he could just put in several orders. If nobody buys from him, he will quit doing it. I understand your frustration. I share it.

To play devil's advocate... what exactly are they supposed to do? It's not their job to be policing the secondary market.

BHM's argument is that this is bad for TRU, because folks won't order the others from the set without being able to order this one, as well. I think it could be a good idea for TRU to only offer full sets, but then, they have have trouble beyond the relatively small niche of collectors who want everything. Limiting sales could also help here, though. Pretty terrible for Menagerie to do this by gobbling up the entire stock. I don't begrudge a markup here or there, but c'mon.

By the way, from his POV, this is actually a pretty low risk effort. He won't have to sit on unsold stock, as he can return what he doesn't sell in the next month or whatever to TRU.com, or even his local store for a full refund. Probably didn't even have to pay shipping, as I'm guessing he would qualify for free shipping with all that he ordered.

Edited by karamazov80

To play devil's advocate... what exactly are they supposed to do? It's not their job to be policing the secondary market.

They are supposed to do absolutely nothing because that's what I,for one, have come to expect from them .

Howzabout dropping the idiotic TRU exclusive stickered short packs ?

Howzabout putting all the items from one wave up for sale all at the same time ?

Howzabout limiting the sale of a short-pack set ....sell it ONLY with the other packs [as a set]

If anybody is still in any doubt about whether short-packs are merely bought by 'completists or similar morons' then check out TRU.com & see how many sets of the apparently popular TMNT line are left .....the Mutagen pack sold out within a few hours . Just coincidence i guess ?

Why short pack an army-builder Sentinel ?

I could say more but it's been years & no-one listens .

I think the greatest issue we're facing here is that TRU doesn't really give a damn where their stock is going as long as it's selling. And if that little sticker on the shortpacked set makes them sell through faster, then, as far as they're concerned, there's no reason to change. It's something that is likely to hurt them in the long run, but TRU's never really been very forward thinking.

TRU is a major player why I dont actually post that muh about minimates. When it Started it was like yay! and even when TRU offered international shipping double bonus. BUT TRU ONLINE DONT SEND WHAT YOU ORDER!!

I dont order crates or more then a general collecter. I give up with the FF wave with Annilus. I ordered XYZ and just got the same bunch of figures.

Now days I stick to Luke I'm not a compleisst anymore but its FUCKING!! anoying because TRU is shite I Wouldnt trust them to wash thir hands after craping.

My only recommendation would be if they're going to have exclusives would be to order more of the exclusive. If the TRU wave and the LCS wave share some two-packs, the shared sets are usually the ones clogging shelves. The only exception I've seen is Yondu.

I agree BHM, but is there a corse of action we can take to get results?

In the TRU Wave 19 thread I listened intently to remind myself why we needed another Mysterio ,Pietro,Vision & Sentinel & I know that the big-hitters are a TRU requirement ...Iron Man,Spidey & Wolverine . drool.gif

I read continually about US members forlornly traipsing around aisles in TRU B&Ms ...............

I'm tired of it all TBH , I just want to discuss Minimates with people who actually buy Minimates rather than discussing 'trying to buy Minimates' .

My only recommendation would be if they're going to have exclusives would be to order more of the exclusive. If the TRU wave and the LCS wave share some two-packs, the shared sets are usually the ones clogging shelves. The only exception I've seen is Yondu.

"Ordering more of the exclusives" ? Y'mean... like...... have god-cases like we've had for nigh on 8 years with the normal LCS waves ? How would that work ? sarcasm-1.gif

It's so sad that so many of us mere customers know the problem , know the simple answers & know that no-f*cker is listening .

Boardies have been talking about him in less than glowing terms for years and nothing changes, so I would be surprised if that was the case. He is a member, and most likely still does look in to see what others are saying here. It would be good for his pseudo-business of scalping TRU figures.

I sell figures on ebay from time to time when they don't move in my trade needs and wants list. He has won several of my auctions and I know he is just going to resale them later on for a larger mark up. I never put up a auction either starting at a crazy price like he does. If the auction goes up high then so be it but I will never start one with a high price right off the bat. Like his TMNT Kraang. $59.99? What? Do people pay that?

Hey, Menagerie has been an invaluable resource on a number of occasions for me and I'm sure many others. If it's wasn't him, it would just be someone else. I'm grateful he provides an option even if it can be expensive at times. I say, don't hate the player, hate the game. And certainly be a little more pleasant when talking about someone else even if you don't agree with their methods.