UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 64: Crouching Minimate, Secret Wars...

Zexion_Armando

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Secret Warriors was brilliant. *shrugs*

Secret Warriors and F4/FF were good, but thats because it seemed like Hickman actually wanted to write them.

most of the Avengers felt like he was forced to write them, so other than pet characters like T'Challa, Namor, 1610 Reed, Maximus, and Doom, Hickman wrote the rest in such a boring and matter of fact/completely out of character way.

It's so sad that the lead up to Secret Wars has been a mind numbingly dull mess of nothing happening. Hickman is such a terrible writer.

Damn, terrible? Everyone's entitle to his/her own opinion, but I'd never call him terrible. Sure, you may not like him, but terrible means that whatever he's written has been devoid of any emotion, action, etc. Basically, it means that he's worse Bendis. And no one is worse than Bendis. I myself have found his run brilliat, albeit it slowed down a bit too much at times. It wasn't a classic Avengers book, but the story and emotion were damn great.
I actually like Bendis. His character at least have emotions, even if the dialog is garbage.

Today's issues of Avengers/New Avengers proves how incompetent he is as a writer. Rather than jumping into Secret Wars completely, we have to deal with the damn final incursion first.

We spent an entire comic watching Cap and Tony for no real reason. And on New Avengers, all the interesting exposition is glossed over or doesn't make any sense so it's a whole waste.

Hickman knew how many issue he had left post time skip (hell, he had a time skip because his glacial pacing was too much) yet he still squandered all of his precious time on the most boring aspects of his run, and hand waved the only good parts.

Well, the last issue was supposed to reveal what happened with Tony and Steve prior to 8Montgs Later. Plus, the final Incursion thing is done so that the other writers can wrap up their stories, or at least that's what Marvel has said.

If I'm being honest, I too found Avengers boring. New Avengers though, was, for the most past, brilliant. But yeah, he's written better stuff. Secret Warriors, FF, his indie work, Shield...

As for Bendis, I find him awful. Completely, awful. All of his characters are the same cardboard cutouts who speak a lot for little reasons.

"I got a bagel."

"A bagel uh?"

"Yeah."

"Is it good?"

"Sooo good."

"...Now I want a bagel."

"Go get one."

"I'm bored...."

"Then don't."

"But I want a bagel!!"

I think I'll take slow story pacing over this. And besides, after his run on MK he's lost all credibility for me. It was absymal, and I don't use that word lightly.

Well, the last issue was supposed to reveal what happened with Tony and Steve prior to 8Montgs Later. Plus, the final Incursion thing is done so that the other writers can wrap up their stories, or at least that's what Marvel has said.

If I'm being honest, I too found Avengers boring. New Avengers though, was, for the most past, brilliant. But yeah, he's written better stuff. Secret Warriors, FF, his indie work, Shield...

As for Bendis, I find him awful. Completely, awful. All of his characters are the same cardboard cutouts who speak a lot for little reasons.

"I got a bagel."

"A bagel uh?"

"Yeah."

"Is it good?"

"Sooo good."

"...Now I want a bagel."

"Go get one."

"I'm bored...."

"Then don't."

"But I want a bagel!!"

I think I'll take slow story pacing over this. And besides, after his run on MK he's lost all credibility for me. It was absymal, and I don't use that word lightly.

I just feel what was the point of the time skip if you couldn't finish your story in time for it. Precious panel space was wasted on such superfluous things, such as Cap's pettiness or Swan's incessant talking about nothing. Hell, the Swan's had their origin today and we still know very little about them. The alien invasion at the last moment seemed like such an after thought that I kept forgetting it was happening.

Hickman never seemed to capitalize on the momentum he built, which is criminal. 1610 Reed meets Namor and his Cabal? Spend the next 3 issues never showing their interactions... Try alternate methods to Incursions like talking to the Abstracts or making an alternate earth? Answer those options off panel in such an anticlimatic fair.

The one thing that really bugged me though? How did none of the mid tier cosmic powers talk or do anything? Where was Mephisto? Dormammu? Odin/Freya? The Gods of Olympus? While most of the heroes in 616 had 0 idea, these people had access to more information.

And how does Doom's 25 year limit work if he apparently has been Ra's Al Ghul since the beginning of time?

Hickman's grand scheme is great, but the finer details are so weak or filled with holes that its hard to care. Its probably easier to ignore if you trade wait, but on an issue by issue basis, its easy to see the cracks.

"I got a bagel."

"A bagel uh?"

"Yeah."

"Is it good?"

"Sooo good."

"...Now I want a bagel."

"Go get one."

"I'm bored...."

"Then don't."

"But I want a bagel!!"

I just feel what was the point of the time skip if you couldn't finish your story in time for it. Precious panel space was wasted on such superfluous things, such as Cap's pettiness or Swan's incessant talking about nothing. Hell, the Swan's had their origin today and we still know very little about them. The alien invasion at the last moment seemed like such an after thought that I kept forgetting it was happening.

Hickman never seemed to capitalize on the momentum he built, which is criminal. 1610 Reed meets Namor and his Cabal? Spend the next 3 issues never showing their interactions... Try alternate methods to Incursions like talking to the Abstracts or making an alternate earth? Answer those options off panel in such an anticlimatic fair.

The one thing that really bugged me though? How did none of the mid tier cosmic powers talk or do anything? Where was Mephisto? Dormammu? Odin/Freya? The Gods of Olympus? While most of the heroes in 616 had 0 idea, these people had access to more information.

And how does Doom's 25 year limit work if he apparently has been Ra's Al Ghul since the beginning of time?

Hickman's grand scheme is great, but the finer details are so weak or filled with holes that its hard to care. Its probably easier to ignore if you trade wait, but on an issue by issue basis, its easy to see the cracks.

On the Abstract thing, there are no abstracts anymore. If the Beyonders took out the big guns like the Living Tribunal, then they've probably taken out the Hell Lords as well.

As for the Cabal, yeah, he could've focused a bit more on them, that's true. But honestly, they were all focused on not dying, so I do not see what else they could've done apart from working on the problem. By the time Richards and Thanos and Co met, the number of universes was far too low to do anything more about it. So, they just focused on detonating 616 so that 1610 could live.

On the Doom part, that's just a Time Paradox. A "Predestination Paradox" to be exact.

Agreed entirely.

And, regards Bendis's excess dialog? It sounds real. I enjoy those moments. They breathe a real life into the story. It's like the old days when the X-Men would play basketball

Maybe it sounds real in some cases. But if every damn character acts the same, then it becomes boring.

Why is everyone so excited about that Dazzler? I got into Marvel around the late 80's/early 90's and I only know Dazzler from the old 6 person X-men Arcade game so I liked the Marvel 47 figure of Dazzler. I'm a little confused about this one though.

Also, does Howard the Duck have a beak or will it be a tampo?

Oh you need to get yourself a copy of the Dark Phoenix saga. Dazzler doesn't play a huge role but the story is a comic book essential.

I think they made a bill/beak for the Nightmare before christmas line. I just assumed they were reusing that one.

Regarding classic Dazzler, Polarboy nailed it, She appeared during a fantastic run which is arguably the best in X-Men history. Certainly the run that put them "on the map" so to speak. For me personally anything from X-men 1 to 143 is awesome. After that, not so much. Good stuff in and out but nothing that grabbed me like the first ten issues of Stan/Jack or the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne run.

As for Dazzler's costume, dated as it may be I've never felt any of her other looks were as nice as the original.

I'm going to say all of Howards face will be a tampo, DST will save money on the bill that way

I'm going to say all of Howards face will be a tampo, DST will save money on the bill that way

DST insists tampos are more expensive than tooling. If that's true then tampos won't lower the bill.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've always wanted a Howard the Duck minimate ,yearned for one for ages.....this one will do but y'know I'm not ecstatic that he's a modern incarnation.

I'm not sure if you all know this but Howard has to wear pants ....like in "it's a legal requirement " . Disney insists that Marvel portrays him with pants otherwise Marvel gets sued by Disney ..............I'm wondering how that works these days ?

I'm not sure if you all know this but Howard has to wear pants ....like in "it's a legal requirement " . Disney insists that Marvel portrays him with pants otherwise Marvel gets sued by Disney ..............I'm wondering how that works these days ?

There could certainly be some flexibility, I'm sure, but in terms of not diluting intellectual property, I'm sure they'd prefer to keep things as they are.

Would people even want a Howard without a sculpted bill? That would seem to be pretty critical in capturing the look of the character.

I'm thinking the sculpted parts vs. tampo cost is a little more complicated than what's been mentioned in the past. There have been a fair number of minimates lately with intricate tampos that could have been at least partially achieved with sculpted parts so I suspect there are other factors in play when that decision gets made.

Much as I love tampo details I'm hoping Howard will get a sculpted beak.

Agreed. Just look at Lizard - the tampo head lizard that came with six-armed spider-man can't compare to the sculpted head from Luke's box set.

Good. I don't want my children exposed to this kind of smut:

qCqhA4P.jpg

I feel dirty just looking at it.

Much as I love tampo details I'm hoping Howard will get a sculpted beak.

Agreed. Just look at Lizard - the tampo head lizard that came with six-armed spider-man can't compare to the sculpted head from Luke's box set.

I actually prefer the first Lizard of the two, but I agree with you about Howard.