UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 20

MiniMage

Mattel registered a trademark on "Collect & Connect" about a month after the second wave of DCUC came out.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:3u2606.2.24

Which gives it more protection than the "Build A Figure" it's based on, which has not been registered for exclusive use in commerce.

I think it's good that BAF isn't in the contract, because it gives them a competitive edge and makes them an attractive alternative to Hasbro.

Minimates will make figure of characters that Hasbro won't even consider, and chances are if the figure is in a box set you're going to want the other three figures. If not, three is the most figures you'll ever buy that you don't want to get one you do. And with all the brands available, there's no better time to start collecting. Also, the ladies love Minimates. It is science.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite see how not offering an incentive to buy a whole wave is an attractive alternative, I could see that it's not a necessary thing to offer, but it certainly not a bad idea either. And I would look at the character selection that Hasbro has had in the last few years, I think you might be surprised.

Mattel registered a trademark on "Collect & Connect" about a month after the second wave of DCUC came out.

I wasn't suggesting usurping the trademark, just saying that "collect & connect" isn't as limiting a term as "build-a-figure." Not that DST can offer vehicles (there'd be a Deluxe assortment by now) or dioramas but I still think the stands the figures come with can offer a loophole.

People seem to overlook the fact that if DST were ever to use the build-a-figure concept it's going to cost something, most likely all the extras we've become used to that make a lot of otherwise bland minimates worthwhile. I'd rather keep those than get an "extra" figure.

Considering the MSRP on 2-packs went up to $9.99 last year and TRU is still offering them at $7.49, I'd argue the price is going up anyway and they're looking for a value-added way to justify it.

Not that it's a BAF. I really don't think it's a BAF.

this group is funny, cuz you know if they did do a BAF then people would complain that

"why do i have to buy the whole wave to get this most wanted figure. wahhh wahh"

You're right - it probably would upset people.

I buy pretty much every wave anyway at the moment, so it'd just be a way to get more obscure/extra figures for me. But i understand that not everyone buys that way.

this group is funny, cuz you know if they did do a BAF then people would complain that

"why do i have to buy the whole wave to get this most wanted figure. wahhh wahh"

There are people who think we were better off without any sculpted parts, and they prefer a Juggernaut with a skinny body and helmet instead of the powerhouse style. There are people who think DST shouldn't make exclusives because they dont want to have to leave the house to buy them. There are people who think having to pay two dollars more than the original retail price is too much and that DST should make another version of the character just because they don't have one. If someone is really going to complain about getting more characters in a way that would also encourage more sales, they should really consider whether they're thinking of what's best for the line or for them.

And yes, I know this isn't what Zach is referring to.

They cover 'mates at OAFE fairly often, but depending on the reviewer you might hear nothing but lamenting that ANY body element is sculpted instead of printed.

My main complaint with that site as a whole is that they have a tendency to present their opinion as though it is fact.

They cover 'mates at OAFE fairly often, but depending on the reviewer you might hear nothing but lamenting that ANY body element is sculpted instead of printed.

My main complaint with that site as a whole is that they have a tendency to present their opinion as though it is fact.

They've stopped their coverage of Minimate waves at Wave 49 and TRU 16 (?). Since then it's been mostly just the boxed sets. Less reviews. Less complaining. Seems a bit of a shame that their reviews didn't at least reach Wave 50, I would've felt like that would've been a great stopping point if they wanted to stop reviewing Marvel Minimates.

Tendency is an understatement.

Haha!

Edited by MiniMage

OAFE still reviews regular-series Minimates. Their index is a little unwieldy, and I think they stopped updating it.

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2015/03/minimate-mini-review-230-anti-sinister-six-spider-man-mysterio/

I can't say I always agree with their reviews, but I admire their persistence. They've been doing this a long time.

Edited by DSTZach

Rustin's Spoils of the Week aren't full reviews, though. He said that on the very first one.

"I'm going to try something new this year - a weekly roundup of what I've bought in the preceding week. This will be a bit different than the standard reviews you'll find here, they'll be briefer and more general. Being included on this list doesn't preclude any particular item from a "full" review by myself or another writer here, this is simply a way to get you fine readers as much toy-opinions as my hectic work schedule can allow."

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2011/01/rustins-spoils-of-the-week-1/

And it's not like he's hiding his preferences to build a case or anything.

"The Storm Guard though... man this guy is flippin' gorgeous. This may well be my favorite Minimate of the year! The armor... the colors... he's just awesome looking. I know my first favorite thing in Minimates is limited or now [sic] sculptural piece/detail but come on - just look at this guy! Plus, the chest armor is a paint app, which help maintain a slim look and flexibility in the pose."

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2014/03/rustins-spoils-of-the-week-123/

Rustin:

"Thane is the son of Thanos (with an eye-rollingly lazy and real-world-term name) and is the highlight of the set both by being a first-time character and by simply being a painted Minimate base body (though he does have a "Venom claw" for his left hand)."

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2015/03/rustins-spoils-of-the-week-156/

Glantern:

Thane is based on the character’s appearance post-Terrigen Mist exposure, which is notably Thanos-inspired. It’s an okay design, though not particularly thrilling. The figure is mostly a “vanilla ‘mate” with his only unique piece being his left hand. This piece is re-used from the DC Minimates Series 6 Cheetah figure. It’s a pretty standard clawed-hand, so that’s good.

"Thane is good on a technical level, but sadly neither the character nor his design is particularly exciting."

https://thefigureinquestion.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/0429-infinity-minimates/

The only difference is that one is a member of the Multiverse clique, and one isn't.

Okay, I generally steer clear of the sculpted vs. painted debate, but I guess I've been pulled into this one. I would point out that the only difference between my review of Thane and Rustin's is not just that I'm a Multiverse member and he's not. The two of us have differing opinions of the figure entirely, each based on different aspects. My dislike of the figure is due to the character and design it represents. Whether he makes use of sculpted parts or not is irrelevant to my opinion. On the flip side, one of Rustin's two points for Thane being the highlight of the set is "by simply being a painted Minimate base body." That says to me that, more than anything, he prefers Minimates to be as pure as possible, and a figure wins points just by avoiding the use of sculpted parts. And if that's how he feels, that's totally fine. It just isn't something that some people here agree with is all (Much as some people don't agree with my preference of the new Thanos over the IG one.)

They've stopped their coverage of Minimate waves at Wave 49 and TRU 16 (?). Since then it's been mostly just the boxed sets. Less reviews. Less complaining. Seems a bit of a shame that their reviews didn't at least reach Wave 50, I would've felt like that would've been a great stopping point if they wanted to stop reviewing Marvel Minimates.

Maybe they need more hands on deck for reviews? Perhaps i'll get in touch with them. I always thought reviewing minimates would be fun.

Maybe they need more hands on deck for reviews? Perhaps i'll get in touch with them. I always thought reviewing minimates would be fun.

According to their FAQ, the selection process requires you interview toys somewhere else. Do it well enough, email 'em and you might just get lucky. Or you could just post some reviews on their forum. I don't think they're desperate for reviewers but they need to catch up anyway and the Marvel line's a train that won't stop chugging anytime soon.

Edited by MiniMage