UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 20

MiniMage

DST has stated that the "Best of" waves are reserved for specialty only. That's part of the reason I'm leaning toward animated versions of Marvel's most popular characters. If we're talking about three 2-packs, it could break down like this:

Avengers Assemble:

Captain America & Thor

Iron Man & Hulk

Black Widow & Haweye

Ultimate Spider-Man:

Spider-Man & Nova

Iron Spider & Iron Fist

Spider-Man 2099 & Doctor Octopus

No characters we haven't gotten before, just variants based on the cartoons.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DST has animation rights, that should be a whole other line. There are too many good designs on USM to have them all compete for a few spaces. Sure, the Fighter Pods are still pegwarming, but the character selection was great. It's the Pods sculpts that are terrible.

USM Taskmaster would be at the top of my wish list. Perfect example of the good kind of "same but different."

4r88dz.jpg

Series 20 is not blind-bagged. Two-packs. The difference is in content, not presentation.

One clarification -- it is a one-off change for 20, and not a sea change for TRU Minimates as I previously implied.

Series 21 will be more similar to 19, although it will be shared with comic shops.

I could hug you so hard right now.

DST has stated that the "Best of" waves are reserved for specialty only. That's part of the reason I'm leaning toward animated versions of Marvel's most popular characters. If we're talking about three 2-packs, it could break down like this:

Avengers Assemble:

Captain America & Thor

Iron Man & Hulk

Black Widow & Haweye

Ultimate Spider-Man:

Spider-Man & Nova

Iron Spider & Iron Fist

Spider-Man 2099 & Doctor Octopus

No characters we haven't gotten before, just variants based on the cartoons.

I would want Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H:

Hulk/Leader

Red Hulk/She-Hulk

A-Bomb/Skaar

Interesting to read the clues and theories as ever, and virtually impossible to work out what is likely to happen of course!:) I'm 99% sure that the classic fans are the ones that Zach is referring to who may not be happy though, simply based on the general trend right now and the recent discussion in the Q & A thread. However, some of the ideas put forward sound cool, the parts included to make secret identities would be a nice variation. It struck me recently as amazing that we still don't have a don blake minimate for example yet are getting a retro cloth one. Overall I would still have said that versus or greatest battle 2 packs would be a logical and suitable way for TRU waves to go in general though in order to please most people.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but Marvel Legends have had a remarkable level of character diversity at a higher price point recently, I understand the need to appeal to casual fans but I also think there's a risk of going to the well too often.

Believe me I'm 100% with you there Valo. I've been casting jealous eyes at the Marvel Legends character diversity for a while. I'm just having to reluctantly accept that the minimate line isn't going to give me hellcat, thundra, tigershark etc. Once upon a time I thought it would in due course but clearly times have changed. I am amazed that so many people still seem to want yet more versions of the heavy hitters with tiny variations as I'd have thought everybody who wants, for example, a wolverine or a movie captain America would have one by now - but clearly not!

It could be a Redo Moon Knight!

*LARGE fan base

*Tons of people want a redo (lookin at you Kotisfire)

*It could be a NOW version

If we are talking about it possibly cover versions of characters moon night could have

Alternate right Spidey arm

Alternate left Wolverine arm

Captain America sheild with peg for foot

post-9944-0-43424300-1426434059_thumb.jp

It could be a Redo Moon Knight!

*LARGE fan base

*Tons of people want a redo (lookin at you Kotisfire)

*It could be a NOW version

As much as I would like to say that he has a large fan base, it simply isn't true. He has one of the most dedicated fan-bases but it's nowhere near a big one. I guess it's the biggest one for a B or C lister, so that's something. But I do believe he's going to be in one of the 3 waves (20, 21 or 64) simply because he has been highly requested and there aren't many new current costumes that could fill 3 whole waves.

Plus, the clues just make sense. New costume, no new tooling required, has a current and very well-reviewed comic, is pretty popular amongst comic fans (the Ellis issues did wonders for his popularity). Besides, Chuck's been avoiding my MK questions for 2 or 3 AskDST's now. He answers everything else and specifically leaves MK out of it. Maybe that's a clue, or maybe I'm too desperate for a Mr. Knight mate that I'm seeing "hints" everywhere.

I'd love a new Moon Knight and there are multiple variations of the character that I would happily buy, but even so I think it would be really stretching it to say there's a lot of demand for the character. Even here it doesn't exactly seem that there's a groundswell of support. Not that it won't happen, I just don't think MK is on the "must" list from a business standpoint. But to be on the safe side don't mention he was an Avenger, that would ruin his chances.

Thing is, both his NOW! and Mr. Knight looks can be made with no new tooling and pretty minimal paint apps. The Khonshu armour is a longshot, mainly because it requires tons and tons of new tooling and can never be reused. Pack him with an A lister and that way the casual fan will buy it for the popular character and we, who have tons and tons of Thors, Caps, etc, will buy it for MK. It's a win-win situation really. And hey, Shanna got a figure, I don't see why MK can't. Besides, these 3 are clearly NOW! focused waves. If he doesn't happen now, I don't think he ever will. But I really, really think that we're getting him. Plus, both costumes could come with awesome extras:

NOW! Moon Knight could come with an alternate mime head, his buttons and crescent darts.

Mr. Knight could come with an extra Khonshu head and another set of arms with rolled up sleeves.

We also already have a new hood ready from Hobgoblin. My dream though would be: Mr. Knight in one of those waves and NOW! in the Original Sin set poll (if DST follows suit like all other years, the TRU fan poll will probably be OS themed).

Pretty sure BAF is not in our license.

Wow - i had never thought about the licensing implications of the BAF craze.

Thanks for clearing up that it's not BAF. It's a shame though - as it'd be a great way to squeaze in additional characters that might not carry a 2-pack on their own.

Maybe "collect & connect" would be a better way to phrase what I had in mind.

I'm thinking of DST taking the interchangability play pattern to a new level at mass and offering components of... whatever – a figure, an accessory, an environment – that would allow folks to add something to their collections that wouldn't fit anywhere else.

And I don't see Netflix Daredevil being the whole wave. Zach already said it's made up of characters we've already gotten so that leaves out Foggy and Ben. Maybe in a year or two we'll get a Netflix assortment once we've see what other characters look like from AKA Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.