UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Muppets Minimates!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this line becomes more than just a few waves. My biggest wants for this right now are probably:

-The Flying Zuchinni Brothers 2-pack w/ cannon

-Electric Mayhem 4-pack with Doc Teeth, Floydd Pepper, Janine and Zoots

I'm sure that Animal will get packed in a regular wave

I think they already said Robin will be packed in with Kermit and Camilla with Gonzo

Did they say they would be packed as complementary figures, though, or are those going to be accessories?

• 1 month later...

I saw that a new Muppets TV show is in the works. This could be good news for the Minimates and DST figures! My little one and I watched some Muppet Show just this morning. It was the first appearance of Lew Zealand, who helped Kermit avoid marrying Ms. Piggy biggrin.png

https://youtu.be/SDvcS6QPhTI?t=4m13s

• 4 weeks later...

Color me skeptical. Muppets Tonight was mediocre and forgettable. Their best bet will be to hire on truly talented comedic writers. Because frankly the heart and soul of the Muppets died with Henson, and at this point I don't think we'll ever see that come back.

Color me skeptical. Muppets Tonight was mediocre and forgettable. Their best bet will be to hire on truly talented comedic writers. Because frankly the heart and soul of the Muppets died with Henson, and at this point I don't think we'll ever see that come back.

I agree about "Tonight", but did you not see the new movie with Jason Segal? It felt totally like Jim was back.

Even "Most Wanted" was better than "From Space" (or, I can only assume "Wizard of Oz", because I refused to see it).

And "Christmas Carol" was probably their best.

did you not see the new movie with Jason Segal? It felt totally like Jim was back.

I did see it, and did not feel that way. It was OK, better than most of the post-Henson stuff, but still a pale shadow of the stuff where Henson, Oz, and Jerry Juhl were running the show. I didn't have any interest in re-watching it, and didn't even see the sequel.

I want to see The Muppets. Most Wanted looked rough. But this?

Parks and Rec/The Office meets The Muppet Show?

Man, I don't know WHAT to think. I honestly rather like the idea at first thought. Two great tastes that taste great together. But then I wonder... does it just sound like a bit? Like... sure, a single episode done in this fashion would be amazing, no doubt. A whole series, though?

Time will tell, but I shall remain cautiously optimistic.

I want to see The Muppets. Most Wanted looked rough. But this?

Parks and Rec/The Office meets The Muppet Show?

Man, I don't know WHAT to think. I honestly rather like the idea at first thought. Two great tastes that taste great together. But then I wonder... does it just sound like a bit? Like... sure, a single episode done in this fashion would be amazing, no doubt. A whole series, though?

Time will tell, but I shall remain cautiously optimistic.

I feel like they can pull this off, but they'll do it by also including the showbiz aspect. Like the Muppet Show is still happening, but it's not the focus of the event. Think Birdman with Muppets. That's my guess as to what this is.

I think the concept is fine, but for me, the key is to make the Muppets feel genuine--they did in the Henson days. If they feel like characters you can relate to and believe in, despite being puppets, then you've got a chance for it to really work. If they don't, due to the orientation of the show, the quality of the puppeteers, or due to inadequate writing or direction, then you don't. It can still be funny at times, but if the audience can't connect on an emotional level then they can't establish the connection that they do with characters on the great television shows. . .minus, maybe Beavis and Butthead laugh.png

I guess the other extreme is to try and make every character absurd and over the top, like Gonzo, Crazy Harry, Animal, and Zealand (essentially take the Monty Python approach). But I think one reason Muppets really worked was the mix of that (equivalent of Pratt's character and Tom Hatherford on Parks and Rec) with more earnest, and relateable characters like Kermit, Rowlf, and even Fozzy (more like Ben and Leslie form Parks and Rec). I think that's also why Arrested Development and even the Simpsons worked as well as they did.

Edited by karamazov80