UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 63: Avengers AOU 2

elhonez

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone feel like DST is missing the boat a little bit on these? If you go to a Toys R Us or a Target, they're swimming in Age of Ultron product, but the first AOU 'mates aren't due to hit until just before the movie is released, and that's only if they aren't delayed which has happened frequently as of late. Considering we're getting two waves, a TRU wave, and a blind bag assortment and possibly more based on hints we're getting, does it seem like maybe getting a head start would make sense?

Maybe it's just me, but my excitement for the movie makes me want to pick up some of the other product out there, but 'mates are one of my main lines I collect. Anyone else having the same issue?

I personally thought it was cool that they managed to time the Avengers wave to come out the same week as the movie, or thereabouts. I was excited for the movie, I was excited for the 'mates, and I got them both at the same time.

We know DST isn't going to compete with Hasbro on volume, so the alternative is having the 'mates drown in the sea of other AOU merch and be long forgotten about by mid-May when the movie comes out.

I guess what made me start thinking about it is how much the release dates seem to fluctuate these days, even Zach who works for the company seems to find out only right before they are released. It just feels like having them there to cash in on that excitement beforehand would be a benefit, I know I was looking awfully hard at the AOU Lego sets the other day, I wish I could give that money to DST but they won't have anything available until late April at the earliest.

I'm sure they try to time product releases to match theatrical releases when possible. Hasbro or LEGO may have access to design material earlier than DST, or may simply have a more efficient production process.

I see your point, but I'm not advocating rushing them out, if anything I would say maybe switch the Brotherhood wave with the first Avengers wave, and have the brotherhood fill the gap between that wave and the next. Or at the very least, have the TRU wave in stores early. Mostly to combat TRU's somewhat dodgy distribution. I don't know, it's probably just the hype getting to me, it just feels like the main product I collect is getting beat to the punch.

I stopped in a TRU yesterday and thought the same thing. There's tons of AoU product on shelves. It'd be nice if DST's product was there too. However, if they do hit when they're supposed to, I imagine the 'mates will fly off the shelves. I am more mystified by Hasbro's decision to continue making movie action figures in, like, five different scales.

I don't know. Those Iron Man and Avengers movie mates tend to linger at my local TRU stores.

I'm always surprised at regional differences. A1 flew off the shelves here. TMNT is the only thing that had sold out faster. GotG sold well and quickly here too.

There hasn't been a lot of AOU merch hitting Australia yet, but what has come so far has been utter sh*t.

Hasbro's 3-4" figures with 5 POA have been some of the cheapest, nastiest figures i've encountered. I get that they are aimed at children, rather than discerning collectors, but if waiting till the film's release date means we get 2" figures with 14 POA and decent paint jobs.... i'm happy to wait.

Edited by Nessex

I picked up the new AOU Quinjet Lego set and it's pretty cool. If you have the Quinjet from the first film, this one is kind of the same build structurally.

I've got my Fantastic Four in it right now and you don't have to make any modifications to get 'mates to fit. Cockpit fits 1 easily, the mid-section will seat 3 comfortably (or 1 big character and 1 regular) and the back hatch will fit 1 comfortably.

The mid-section also features bomb-bay doors so that's kinda fun for dropping out durable characters/fliers. And the white bricks give it more of a FF feel to me.

Anyhow, I thought it was worth the money.

I picked up the Hulkbuster set too but haven't gotten around to building it yet and seeing how well it'll fit a Minimate.

Edited by Mystery Man

If DST could somehow work in a running change of Hulk with fists, sales could potentially double on the Hulkbuster set.

Maybe a running change on Hulk's eyes while they're at it.

I was thinking about putting together Hasbro's 2.5 inch Avengers Tower for the Minimates. But, you know, for $60 I want it to actually look like something. Maybe I'll get that top piece when it inevitably goes to clearance.

This isn't exactly breaking news, but I just saw that Hot Toys is releasing a War Machine Mark II bust for Age of Ultron. We've seen Rhodes in the trailer and War Machine in Hasbro's 2.5" line but if Hot Toys is doing a version as well it seems more likely he might actually appear in the movie. Of course Hot Toys could just be getting a little more use out of the Iron Man 3 version of the bust. Either way, if DST is trying to fill out an AOU release that would be a really easy, if unexciting, way to do it.

Total guessing on my part, but I think he's going to die. I mean someone has to, right?

That would certainly be one way to raise the stakes, but I just can't imagine them killing that character in such an offhanded way. Especially with Marvel making an effort to be more diverse, it would be seen as very crass for the team of white people to all survive but the black character who isn't even on the team gets killed. I could also make a case though for why Ultron, the "Angry Son" of Tony Stark would strike out at his best friend.

They certainly make it seem as though the stakes are much higher in this one, but I can't think of a single character whose death would not be damaging long-term, which I guess is a good thing, but there's no one who seems expendable.

I really wouldn't mind Rhodes dying because Cheadle is so bad at being Rhodes and he's written so poorly. He's nothing but a goofy sidekick and Cheadle doesn't come off as being a military guy or being able to fight his way out of a paperbag. Howard was much better (yea I know it's his own fault that he got replaced).