UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gotham Minimates- it's Official!

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show, to me, is building a bit like the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - slowly developing the key characters and their world with a second half of the season build to something bigger and better in the finale.

Fish is the one character I've hated since the beginning. I didn't like that they created a new mob boss when there are so many good ones that already exist. But her storyline the last few episodes has turned me around. I still don't care for her but I'm caring about where her story is going.

Donal Logue's Harvey Bullock is becoming one of my favorite characters of all time. Sean Pertwee's Alfred is something I've wanted to see on screen for a long time.

I'm torn on the time jump idea though. I'd really like to see a 18-19 year old Bruce Wayne out on the streets getting his ass kicked before leaving to train and travel the world. But I'm afraid it would become the Batman show and that's not what it is. Its a version of Gotham Central and I like where its going as is.

As for the 'mates, I'll take whatever we get and I'm looking forward to adding them to my collection. Now... when will we see pictures of them?

This show, to me, is building a bit like the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - slowly developing the key characters and their world with a second half of the season build to something bigger and better in the finale.

Fish is the one character I've hated since the beginning. I didn't like that they created a new mob boss when there are so many good ones that already exist. But her storyline the last few episodes has turned me around. I still don't care for her but I'm caring about where her story is going.

Donal Logue's Harvey Bullock is becoming one of my favorite characters of all time. Sean Pertwee's Alfred is something I've wanted to see on screen for a long time.

I'm torn on the time jump idea though. I'd really like to see a 18-19 year old Bruce Wayne out on the streets getting his ass kicked before leaving to train and travel the world. But I'm afraid it would become the Batman show and that's not what it is. Its a version of Gotham Central and I like where its going as is.

As for the 'mates, I'll take whatever we get and I'm looking forward to adding them to my collection. Now... when will we see pictures of them?

Honestly, everything I'm seeing with this show, I think it'd be stronger if it was just Gotham Central during the Batman years. That way you could throw in the Batman villains as much as you want (even showing their origins in the early years of Batman himself) without having it make it seem like "Well these guys have their origins now let's wait like 12 years until they can do something so unstoppable that it takes a guy dressed as a bat to do something."

Still like the show though.

Honestly, everything I'm seeing with this show, I think it'd be stronger if it was just Gotham Central during the Batman years. That way you could throw in the Batman villains as much as you want (even showing their origins in the early years of Batman himself) without having it make it seem like "Well these guys have their origins now let's wait like 12 years until they can do something so unstoppable that it takes a guy dressed as a bat to do something."

Still like the show though.

That is exactly how I feel.

The show should be about the young Jim Gordon, his exploits and what eventually makes him the good man we know as commissioner/ trusted ally of Batman.

problem is its a pretty boring story, good man trying his best amongst a corrupt police squad in a corrupt city yay not alot of material there to make an exciting tv show. as for young bruce there isnt alot of excitment there either, he goes off and studies various martial arts/ fighting techniques for several years. hard to make a whole series about that. as for the young(or not so young in some cases) characters that will eventually become the villians we know, you cant show too much or else they will be too old by the time Batman finally does arrive. Penguin, ok he can be 15-20 years older than bats but his story cant support the whole show, or if it can its the Cobblepot show, Not Gotham. Fish, well we know she is not a part of the future stories we know/shes not destined to be a big baddie in the Rogues gallery, plus again shes what 10?, 15? years older than Bruce so even if he starts battling her early on shes going to be elderly. its kind of like the Bible we hear about the main character when hes a child and then when hes in his late 20s early 30s nothing too exciting happens in the middle. yet thats what they are tryig to make this show about. I like the show but i dot think it can/will last long.

as for young bruce there isnt alot of excitment there either, he goes off and studies various martial arts/ fighting techniques for several years. hard to make a whole series about that.

Yet that's where the concept of Smallville came from and it lasted ten seasons. Maybe Bruce Wayne will finally see the light of day after all.

Typically, the hero's journey is the most interesting and it's usually about how the protagonist became a hero, not what he did after becoming one. It seems the showrunners are doing that on multiple fronts. We're getting more backstory on Alfred and Selina while we're watching Gordon and Bruce become the characters we're more familiar with.

I think there's plenty of material because the focus isn't on one character. If the show was Gotham Central, it would be even more frustrating for fans as the "The Batman Cameo Hour." Instead we have a show that focuses on Bruce from time to time. Batman's there, you just have to look for him. (I just hope he takes that candlelight oath by the end of the season.)

I'm also pretty sure that Batman was off the table because WB hadn't decided if the TV shows would crossover with the feature films. They may have also wanted to ensure that whatever Batman showed up on Gotham would mesh with whatever DCE was putting in place elsewhere on television, whether he's on TNT's upcoming Teen Titans or making an appearance on CW's Arrow.

(Oh, and Happy Birthday!)

i don't think the show is supposed to be about bruces journey to batman, and more of just gotham city before batman existed. and gordons story.

i see DST getting licenses to DC related stuff. maybe not the comic stuff. but like arrow and flash and properties like those. possibly even the new movies too. i'm happy that they even let them do gotham so everyone count your blessings. it;s finally happening!!!

Mystery Man and I are two of them :)

I've never watched the show, but I'm excited to see how the mates look, hopefully they'll come with cool accessories.

Hopefully we won't run into a Rodan situation with consumers holding out and affecting sales.

Yeah, the 4 or 5 guys who are doing that must really annoy DST.

This goes back to AA's initial Star Trek days when they offered less than half a bridge crew instead of all the characters at once. Skeptical collectors waiting to see if the second series was offered became catalysts for a self-fulfilling prophecy when sales didn't warrant more figures.

So yeah, these 4 or 5 guys are real pains in the ass.

Anyone holding out buying the second set of Godzilla Minimates because they don't like the characters in it, or they're broke, I fully understand.

Anyone holding out buying the second set because we haven't announced who is in Series 3... not the best strategy.

It may not be more than five people, but if you like the set, buy it so we see the interest and make more. We were hoping the line would be broadly appealing in the wake of the movie, but if the line does not appeal to anyone but the hardcore G-fans, then the G-fans are in control. Especially when it costs us a small fortune to tool each set, and sales are how we decide to make a further investment. You're actually voting with your money in this case, for all the times that phrase has been bandied about euphemistically.

Gotham will be less beholden to that, because tooling will likely cost far less, but we also expect it to have a broader appeal in comic shops, as well as with mainstream audiences.

I wonder what the odds are of us getting a scarecrow mate.

scarecrow.jpg

Gotham will be less beholden to that, because tooling will likely cost far less, but we also expect it to have a broader appeal in comic shops, as well as with mainstream audiences.

Is there ANY way that the scarecrow hallucination (pictured above) can be worked into a set somehow? We never got a scarecrow mate when DC mates were made,and IF this line doesnt last long ( BIG IF),then this guy should definitely get a mate as a sort of "fan service",since it can be used as a stand in comic scarecrow. Am I alone on this one?

I wonder what the odds are of us getting a scarecrow mate.

scarecrow.jpg

>Gotham will be less beholden to that, because tooling will likely cost far less, but we also expect it to have a broader appeal in comic shops, as well as with mainstream audiences.

Is there ANY way that the scarecrow hallucination (pictured above) can be worked into a set somehow? We never got a scarecrow mate when DC mates were made,and IF this line doesnt last long ( BIG IF),then this guy should definitely get a mate as a sort of "fan service",since it can be used as a stand in comic scarecrow. Am I alone on this one?

I don't know, but possibly! Ask DST!

Penguin will make a solid anchor for a future set. Gotta pace these things. Hopefully we won't run into a Rodan situation with consumers holding out and affecting sales.

it didn't work for SHAW in the neca Prometheus set. im so pissed i wanted a fig of her badly. ): but hey we're finally getting Ripley so i'm happy. hahah

Does anyone else read "Ask DST!" as "For the love of God, show some interest in this line by nagging DST's president!" or is it just me?

And I mean in general, not just for Gotham product.

I honestly wasn't worried about a lack of interest in Gotham, reception at Toy Fair was strong. Although, conversely, I am also not suggesting that asking DST would make more Godzilla any more likely.

I just meant Chuck does the initial line plans. I think the full Gotham lineup may be in flux, but I do not know if the Scarecrow would be considered, as it is a hallucination, and not even a real person.

Edited by DSTZach