UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gotham Minimates- it's Official!

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kabuki Fight Club guy was Black Mask? I didnt even realize he was, probably because he sucked.

Ahh... smell the Fwoosh!

So this license is direct from WB and not Fox like I thought. Very exciting news for DST getting back in with Warner.

We've been in with Warner since we got the Batman Classic TV license last year. Or the year before. That was our first direct license. As the relationship builds, I'm sure more opportunities will arise. But it will not make the 3-4 current DC figure licensees go away.

We're pretty confident in the line, based on the positive reaction so far. And the show's massive viewership. And the lack of any other collectibles for it. I don't think we would have gone after the license if we thought it would only sell to Minimates collectors for parts. Especially since that doesn't even make sense. Do people need suit parts?

I do not think that this will in any way affect DC Collectibles' desire to license Minimates. But this is our first MInimates license directly with Warner Bros. So it's certainly a big leap for MInimates, which can only lead to good things.

Quote from Zach: "First set has two suits in it, one lab coat and a skirt"

So Gordon, Bullock, Fish, and Nigma for the first set?

Gordon, Essen, Nygma and Black Mask.

Is it too early to ask for a rough release date? Will it be this year?

I'll pick up all the 'mates, but it's become almost a running joke with this show that every week they find a new way to irritate me. I was excited to get Black Mask, then I googled what he looks like on the show. How do you screw that up Fox?

I can only assume that they are just making it up as they go along now.

The problem with Gotham is obviously the character designs.

With shows like Arrow and The Flash at least you have characters in costumes, comic-inspired or not. Adding a Diggle or Felicity to a series with Arrow, Arsenal, Huntress, and Canary is easier on retailers than trying to sell Gordon, Bullock, Barbara, and a pre-"I beat bulimia!" Penguin.

That said, collectors request "civilians" all the time. When the DC C3 Batcave was announced, folks were disappointed it wouldn't include an Alfred Minimate. I recall people on the DC Direct message board adding characters like Gordon and Bullock to their wish lists.

And if collectors or retailers see this as a stepping stone toward acquiring other DC properties (especially the comic license) then they might be more inclined to support this. Because let's face it; when DST does get to do DC Comics Minimates again, characters like the ones in Gotham are going to be toward the bottom of the list, much like Agents of SHIELD is a low priority not because of the show's ratings but because they've got 5,000 other characters to offer.

I expect this line to be at least as successful as 24. I'll take whatever is offered in terms of Minimates and I might even pick up the Select figures.

That brings me to another point: The license is probably largely for Select figures with Minimates tacked on. There's a good chance DC Collectibles is happy to focus on Arrow, The Flash, maybe even Constantine and other upcoming series like Supergirl and Teen Titans. That leaves this property available for action figures. The 7" scale is close enough to the 6.5" scale DC Direct and DCC has usually used so I'm sure the hope is that, if AA can match the sculpting and paint apps DCC has made standard, the Select line will complement DCC's costumed characters.

This means Gotham could be like Lost in Space; acquired for other, more profitable categories but if the Minimates take off, those are an option as well. Let's just hope that initial SDCC 2-pack isn't as weak or we'll be left with a Bruce & Alfred set and a bottle opener shaped like a GCPD badge.

Seriously people complaing about gotham is really getting annoying. I bet most of you haven't even watched it & are just following the trend on hating on it.

Smh haha

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't see any value in watching a show when everything I hear about it is either frustrating or disappointing.

Everything you hear? Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock is amazing at every turn, so I can only imagine you haven't heard about that. Fish Mooney is mesmerizing. She takes on such a life of her own, I keep forgetting Jada Smith is playing her. You must not heard about that either. There have been low points (I'm looking at you, Barbara), but overall the show delivers. It's not groundbreaking, it's not superhero-y, but it's good.

There's also a lot of value in watching something and forming your own opinion rather than letting other people do that for you.

Edited by Turtle

Just my two cents:

I watched he first 5 episodes and hated every hour of it. Cheap winks at the camera to comic fans in the midst of a fairly stale crime drama just don't do it to me. I'll wait to see the 'Mates themselves before I decide whether or not I'll buy them, but based on the concept alone it's a pass for me.

Im a fan of the show. Yes,it started off bumpy,and ill admit It was leaning towards the crappy side for me. But after the mid season premiere,its DEFINITELY improved. Its a shame those who hate it have only seen the first few episodes,which were admittedly bad.

Edited by BrobotC

Speaking from the perspective of a person who almost gave up on the show after the first few episodes, I'm glad I stuck it out and let it grow on me. That being said, I feel like Fish Mooney has gotten more obnoxious with each passing episode, and I will be very happy when (or maybe if?) she gets written out of the series.

I have no idea how the mates will turn out, so I'll wait until I see them before I make any kind of decision on their worth... But I will say that I sincerely hope DST scores well with sales on this series. just my opinion, but this license seems risky from a profits standpoint. I certainly hope I'm way off base about that

The first four-pack is on display. We want to do four, plus the SDCC set.

I wouldn't say Minimates are secondary to Selects, but we might not have taken it without them. We rarely do just Minimates, for licensing reasons. And we are developing other categories, as well.

And I don't think we're hoping Selects will complement other, out-of-scale lines. We're hoping they will sell on their own merits, and the show's.

But I don't remember any winking nods to the fans, unless you mean the times when a show set in Gotham City referred to Gotham City residents and locations. If you aren't going to refer to DC mythology, why make it a DC show? I am not as beholden to DC continuity as others, so I have no problems when something does not match up with the comics.

Everything you hear? Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock is amazing at every turn, so I can only imagine you haven't heard about that. Fish Mooney is mesmerizing. She takes on such a life of her own, I keep forgetting Jada Smith is playing her. You must not heard about that either. There have been low points (I'm looking at you, Barbara), but overall the show delivers. It's not groundbreaking, it's not superhero-y, but it's good.

There's also a lot of value in watching something and forming your own opinion rather than letting other people do that for you.

Maybe, but there's also the school of thought that says that if you disagree with the inherent concept of something, and nothing you hear subsequent to that concept is changing your opinion, why waste the free time you have on something that sounds uninteresting or disappointing to you? I think the concept of a TV show before Bruce Wayne is even a teenager is inherently stupid, because I don't give a damn what was going on in Gotham before Batman shows up. I already know. Crime. That's why he becomes Batman. Do I need to see the city get bad knowing that the payoff which is Batman appearing is never going to happen? And it seems like they know that too, because they're doing their best to insert every single Batman character into the show, and they're already acting like their future selves. They had the ability to make a much more interesting version of this concept by making Gotham Central which takes place in the city with Batman and all of his villains already in existence, but by doing it this way, they're trying to sell the sizzle without the steak. I think Donal Logue is great casting, but I'd rather see him in a Batman film than Gotham Elementary. The Joker was the final straw for me, I was still going to pick up the DVDs and watch it at some point, but now I don't even want to do that. And that's the point. I'm not doing it out of spite, I JUST DON'T WANT TO. I used to love wrestling, but I hear nothing but complaints from like-minded people about how bad it has become, do I still need to tune in so I can be disappointed?

The problem is that the show is on Fox, not HBO or Netflix where you could have fully-characterized villains doing very villainous things. So the designs and visuals are great for a network show, but the story and direction are going to feel constrained because it's a network show.

The cool thing about the Minimates is that you can help the characters rise above the story direction. They're a chance to tell a better story.

Also, the cool thing about the Minimates is that they aren't from, like, Mulaney or something else that's legitimately awful.