UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gotham Minimates- it's Official!

(Girls, girls. You're both pretty.)

I just want the show to be consistent. I'm fine with change so long as it makes sense and happens organically.

This episode seemed like it would have been a great opportunity to show off Bruce's budding detective skills rather than a penchant for blowing holes in things. But I guess explosions – however stupid – are more riveting than anything cerebral. (Not that the pass code was all that difficult to guess.)

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Girls, girls. You're both pretty.)

I just want the show to be consistent. I'm fine with change so long as it makes sense and happens organically.

This episode seemed like it would have been a great opportunity to show off Bruce's budding detective skills rather than a penchant for blowing holes in things. But I guess explosions however stupid are more riveting than anything cerebral. (Not that the pass code was all that difficult to guess.)

I understand the desire to include the death of his parents, it's the fundamental moment of his life, but I think a lot of the issues I have with the show could be resolved if they had jumped forward in time and Bruce was now a teenager. It would be more believable to me that he is slowly beginning the journey he's going to go on. But I think the reason they're not doing that, is they want you to realize you're never ever going to get Batman.

That's the problem some people are having - they want the show to be about Bruce becoming Batman when its actually about Gotham becoming the city that needs a Batman. Bruce's journey is part of the show but its not the core of the show. Gordon, Bullock, the villains, its all about them and the city of Gotham becoming a bigger cesspool than it was to begin with. Despite everything that Gordon, et.al. are doing it eventually becomes too much for them and a Batman is needed. This is that story. Once you understand and accept that as the premise for the show then I think you can better enjoy it. Or not. Its all good either way.

Once upon a time, a show was pitched to the now CW network about a young Bruce Wayne and his trials becoming The Batman. That show turned into Smallville. Gotham is definitely not that show. Like Mysterious Stranger said, this isn't meant to be the story of any one character but an environment, the city that will spawn the Caped Crusader.

I'm not sure how much of a draw Bruce's story is on Gotham but I can see them spinning off a show that focuses on him leaving Gotham City to travel the world, getting kicked out of various private schools, and meeting characters – friends and foes – who might eventually follow him back home.

In Gotham, Bruce is part of the ensemble. If audiences are eager to see him break out then Fox and WB need to just do that.

The points you guys are making are valid, and I certainly think that's the show they want to make, the problem I have with it is that they do everything they possibly can to bring in every element of the Batman universe, without having Batman himself. I think they are not committing to their own premise. Or, if you want to look at it from a marketing standpoint, they are compromising themselves to draw viewers because their premise isn't registering as well as they had hoped. If you want to see a different take on the same idea, read Gotham Central. It's way better than this show has been so far, while barely featuring Batman at all. I really wish they had gone that route, instead of taking the early years approach.

I'm not sure they had a choice. I'm pretty sure Batman is off the table entirely, despite DCE's assertion that TV and film are independent. Hell, they couldn't even show Harley in the Suicide Squad on Arrow. Yet they have no problem casting another Barry Allen for a feature film down the road.

It's like Jeff Robinov is back. dry.png

I'm convinced they make up the rules for the movies and TV as they go along, the only concrete rule is "No Batman."

A friend and I were talking about Gotham, and what we would have done differently while still not featuring Batman, and we came up with either a Robin or Nightwing show. You can still feature Batman characters without rewriting their origins, and you can have actual costumes. Plus it looks like the movies are going to toss the character out altogether, so it wouldn't be a repeat like it will be with The Flash.

Seems like some people watch this show just to complain about it. Please, for our sake, just watch something else. There are so many different channels! I'm sure you could find something you would like - or at least something that wouldn't inspire you to go online and gripe about it.

I am going to work on more Gotham Customs. I need to get the two box sets so I can part out my customs that resemble characters we will be getting in them. But until then, I will keep my customs as they are.

As for this second season of the show. I am not sure I have enough parts to make the characters they are coming up with. But I will do my best to get them made if I can.

Just would really like them to hurry up and make Bulloch and Jerome.

Ok, I just watched Season 1, the first two episodes of Season 2, and then read this whole thread. I admit as much as I love the character of Batman that I don't really read D.C. outside of a few books here and there, so I don't know much about Gotham. Having said that, I enjoy the show. I find it entertaining watching the characters origins, especially Jerome's.

This thread talks so much about the show and not nearly enough about Minimates.

My guesses:

Box set 3

Bullock

Falcone

Zsasz

Barbara

Box set 4

Fish

Butch

Maroni

Jerome

I'm looking forward to the mates. They look great. So fat, I'm enjoying season 2 more than season 1. I'd love a Maniax set with Jerome, Helzinger, Greenwood, and Barbara in their black and whites. Right now Bullock and Fish are the most notable absences, though, and I love Bullock in this show. Gotta have him.

If we get a third box set, I would like it to be FIsh, Butch, Falcone and Maroni all togehter because it fits a theme and if you want too much longer no one may remember Fish, Falcone and Maroni.

Then if we do get a fourth set, that one could be Jerome, Barbara, Bullock and Lucius Fox. Then the next set could be Zsasz and his henchwomen.

However, I would like to see Pamela "Ivy" Pepper in the mix sometime as well as the Red Hood.

Just my thoughts.

I just got around to watching the second episode last night. I'll be happy to support the Minimates in the hopes it will lead to more DC assortments but I'm not sure I'll be supporting the show. The tonal shift is just not to my liking. It's like grandma just showed up at the family picnic in a tube top and a thong.

• 9 months later...
On 7/29/2016 at 4:10 PM, BuffaloDelorean said:

Since the announced Bullock and Fries set will be the fourth set, does that mean the line is ending?

I'm not following you. Are you saying Bullock and Fries would be the last ones we would release? Assuming sales continue at this level or higher, I see no reason we wouldn't continue the line, there are still many, many characters to make. Ivy, Azrael, Zsasz, Butch, Fish, Lucius, pompadour Gordon...