UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gotham Minimates- it's Official!

Valo487 makes a good point about Gotham & it is one my late father would have totally agreed with , I recall asking him whether he'd seen or like to see the 'new' Titanic film .....his reply is forever memorable .............

"Not really interested ....I know how it ends "

no.gif

I have yet to see the show but I,of course,have seen the reviews & maybe one day I'll give it a go . I'll get hanged for saying it but I ,personally, am a bit tired of 'The 'super-hero TV show' .....we must have reached saturation by now ? I'm not saying that there aren't some good ones but I am saying that there aren't enough really good ones. .

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see the show but I,of course,have seen the reviews & maybe one day I'll give it a go . I'll get hanged for saying it but I ,personally, am a bit tired of 'The 'super-hero TV show'

[No noose!]

That's all kinds of ironic because one of the first criticisms against the show was that it wasn't super-hero enough. There are no super-heroes on Gotham, just gangsters, crooked cops, villains-to-be, and a handful of good people who don't run around in tights.

There have been some groan-inducing moments to be sure, but not nearly as many as the last live-action Batman series. The kid who plays Bruce is pretty awesome, certainly better than expected. Even the showrunners switched gears to feature him more than they wanted to take advantage of his talent. The girl who plays Selina is a ringer for a young Michelle Pfeiffer (if that's your thing) but the girl who plays plain-Jane Ivy really caught my attention which they found a creepy but innocent and funny way to play up her budding sexuality.

But it's Penguin who's the star of the show, as far as my teenage daughter is concerned. They're doing a very good job of showing how much he's struggling to become one of the most dangerous men the Caped Crusader will ever face. I'd argue they're doing with Cobblepot what Nolan did with Ledger's Joker. In my eye – that of a life-long Batman fan – he's gone from buffoon to legitimate threat and I'm really enjoying the character development.

However, this is largely a Marvel message board so I don't expect to see a lot of enthusiasm for a DC character, let alone a show that's essentially only a prequel (dirty word!) to the most marketed character in the Distiguished Competition's stable. I get it. But while I respect other opinions, I have less respect for ones that come second-hand, regurgitated from other reviews.

So if people find themselves hating on a popular property that they just can't stand, rather than pissing in someone else's cereal, here's the thread. Have at it! smile.png

The problem is that the show is on Fox, not HBO or Netflix where you could have fully-characterized villains doing very villainous things. So the designs and visuals are great for a network show, but the story and direction are going to feel constrained because it's a network show.

The cool thing about the Minimates is that you can help the characters rise above the story direction. They're a chance to tell a better story.

Also, the cool thing about the Minimates is that they aren't from, like, Mulaney or something else that's legitimately awful.

I have to disagree with you a little bit. Just because a show is a network television show doesnt mean it has to be handicapped from really showing the villains doing really horrific, evil things. Look at Hannibal, that show is quite shocking and to me shows serial killers at their most terrifying out of any show, network or cable, and it's on a network (nbc). If anything, Hannibal is clearly demonstrating that network dramas can indeed keep pace with the best of what cable has to offer.

Certainly a bigger budget show set in the Batman universe, with a child version of Bruce, isn't going to be able to depict the vicious nature of many Batman villains, at least not on camera. But if they wanted to make the stories more serious and focused, they could. I didnt care for the first few episodes, but its gotten better. Not up to the level of quality that I prefer, but its better than I thought it would be as well.

This particular set of minimates doesnt interest me too much, although I am pretty hyper-focused into the minimates that I want (Animal warriors, stuff with battle armor, aliens, etc....lol), but I do think its a huge win for the minimates brand. Between this, Ninja Turtles, Aliens and Predator over the past year, I think DST is doing a great job of getting some high exposure lines to get minimates to a wider range. Ha can only mean more success for the brand, and ultimately more leverage when negotiating for other licenses.

I definitely agree that Hannibal shows that Network shows are capable of being as grisly and disturbing as anything else on cable. However, I also agree with the sentiment that being a "network" show hampers what Gotham can be, because Hannibal is a real aberration. I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys this show or other Network shows, but in general they are a bit dumbed down for a more mass audience, who isn't interested in shows that have too much of an edge or nuance. If you go to AMC, FX, and HBO you can get that kind of thing, but they have smaller, more niche audiences that they are going after, so they can afford to create riskier stuff. This isn't to say that Network shows are bad, or even worse than shows on those other channels, but the producers are no doubt placing more constraints on writers, where they have less liberty to really go places where they would like to if they had full creative reign. Instead, sticking to fairly predictable formulas, solving a series of discrete mysteries while pursuing larger ones that will be resolved at the end of this or next season, etc. trump other concerns. I would guess that Gotham is trying to appeal to a pretty broad range of viewers, and doesn't want to turn off too many soccer moms or pre-teens by rocking the boat too much, and that includes the arena of violence and gore.

Edited by karamazov80

I would not really use Hannibal as an example of how network TV can compete with cable, since it's produced under a very unique deal (NBC splits the costs with Euro networks, which is apparently very lucrative and is easily the main reason the show is still on). It's an amazing show, maybe the best on TV, but NBC buried it on Fridays, runs it in the summer when no one's really watching, and never promotes it. Clearly, it's not designed to reach a mass audience.

Gotham is designed to be a network tentpole show, and seems to be succeeding. Personally, the wife and I watched the first two and liked them well enough, but it's gotten lost in the shuffle with other things, not the least of which is our rewatching of Parks and Rec (only two more weeks until the end! I'M NOT READY!!!). But yes, it's a nice get for DST. Sometimes they are a bit behind the curve on properties (which is understandable, since it takes so long to develop products), so it's nice to see them getting on board with a hit show that's stil developing. And if it leads to Minimates of other things Warner Bros owns, well.... that would be great.

Per Nielsen Ratings alone, with a season average of 6.45 million viewers, Gotham is currently the second highest-rated, comic-based show on TV behind The Walking Dead (14.68). From there it's currently like this:

Agent Carter (5.33)

Agents of SHIELD (4.77)

The Flash (3.93)

Constantine (3.32)

Arrow (2.83)

(For shits & giggles, Hannibal enjoyed an average of 2.54 last season.)

Fox has already ordered a second season of Gotham so it must be bringing in some decent ad revenue.

And I know the pork industry fell in love with it when they adjusted the kerning on the title to subliminally read "G O T H A M."

I am looking forward to this set, just curious who is going to be in it.

Did we not say? Gordon, Nygma, Essen and Black Mask. It's the first set of several.

The problem is that the show is on Fox, not HBO or Netflix where you could have fully-characterized villains doing very villainous things. So the designs and visuals are great for a network show, but the story and direction are going to feel constrained because it's a network show.

Every episode of The Following shows evil people committing horrible murders, and good people doing horrible things to those people to prevent more murders. Many of them are fully characterized. It is on Fox, and it is awesome. Fox is slowly becoming my favorite channel again. I hope we get the Brooklyn 9-9 license!

I have yet to see the show but I,of course,have seen the reviews & maybe one day I'll give it a go . I'll get hanged for saying it but I ,personally, am a bit tired of 'The 'super-hero TV show' .....we must have reached saturation by now ? I'm not saying that there aren't some good ones but I am saying that there aren't enough really good ones. .

It definitely is not a superhero show. It is debatably a supervillain show, but it is more accurately a creative psychopath show.

(For shits & giggles, Hannibal enjoyed an average of 2.54 last season.)

I'm not surprised about that. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a more disturbing network show. Makes Twin Peaks feel like a family show. Edited by karamazov80

Hannibal is must-see TV for me. I'm a little disappointed it's been delayed but it'll give me something to watch this summer. My current schedule is packed as it is.

Hannibal? ..............I love it .It might not be to everybody's taste whistling.gif but for me .............. Mange tout .

Delicious pun.