UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

GoFundMe/GiveForward-The illness fundraiser thread

Kostisfire

Recently I was browsing CBM when I came across a thread made by a fellow who was asking for money for his cat's surgery. The cost is pretty high (7,000 $) and so far (1 day has passed) he has raised only 90$. The original cost was 15,000 $ but they sold some stuff and managed to find another clinic so it was lowered to 7.000, which are needed for the surgery, which in turns needs to be done immediately.Therefore, ANY help would be great! Here's the link to the page: http://www.gofundme.com/m6gqrw

You might be thinking why I got so hung up over this. Well, I don't know the guy, but last week I lost my granddad and in general a lot of my close relatives have died in the past 2 years (2 aunts,2 uncles), so this hit me pretty bad. Plus, I know what it's like losing a pet from illness, which makes this even worse. And my cat is diabetic, which also needs extra cash every month, so I get the guy. So yeah, if anybody wants to help it'd be great!

I understand though that it'd be better to put the animal to rest from a financial point of view and of course I don't expect anybody to reach deep into his/her pockets and donate hundreds of bucks. But I figured it'd be better to at least spread the word and see what comes out of it. 10 bucks from A, 5 from B, 20 from C and the goal may be reached.

Here's some extra info from the CBM article (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/catwoman/news/?a=115108#comments), in case you want more details than the ones on the page:

#1 - Jasmine is the last tie I have to my biological father. I'm not going to continue past that sentence about that, as it's a very very emotional topic for me.

#2 - This situation has nothing to do with "Being an Adult" or "Being a Man". When we found out the costs involved in doing the surgery and what would be required after, I sat down my wife and just said.. look, we love Jasmine. We've had her for 6 years, she's been part of our entire dating/engagement/marriage so far.. but this is something we cannot afford to do. I stepped up, made the call that we just couldn't do it. That's when our friend, told us about the 'GoFundMe' website. We looked into it, decided against it.. but then the Dr brought it up too.

So being an "Adult" and a "Man" I made the choice to say.. ok.. lets put it online and lets see what happens. If we can come up with even half of the money, we will save Jasmine. With all the success stories on that site, and so many people saving animals on that site.. why the hell wouldn't I take the chance? If people are WANTING TO GIVE then what the hell is it to you? Am I invading anyones email or showing up at your house with a guilt trip? NO - If people WANT to help, then good on them.

#3 - Thank you for the advice on how to improve the page. I honestly started it after a 9 hour hospital visit and it was 1AM.. so I just kind of threw it together. But great points and I will do just that

#4 - Jasmine is expected to make a full recovery because of how young she is, how healthy she has been, how active she is, she's not over-weight. She should hopefully get an extra 5-6 years. To say it's pointless because she's going to die anyways...? Really? You can say that about about anything. I wont begin to compare a Human life to an Animal life.. but I mean.. you can save your whole life to buy a car, the next day you total it. You spend $10K on braces.. the next day, get your teeth kicked in. Like honestly.. obviously Jasmine will eventually pass.. but if we can get another 5 years.. and we plan to have a baby.. so having our little child actually get to meet Jasmine.. that'd be special to us.

Also, this thread could be used for other such instances of sick people, etc. If you come across someone you think could use the help, post here.

PS: Meanwhile, a gal (who posted only a half-naked photo) raised 2000 $ in less than 24 hours, in order to replace her stolen dslr camera. Gotta love people's priorities!

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm just curious, (please don't take this the wrong way) but is there no free healthcare in the states? In Britain we have everything covered by taxes.

But man, that is one adorable cat.

Free health care? Sadly (and inexplicably), no. But at least the lines are long.

Kostis, thanks for posting this. I'll contribute.

Edited by Turtle

I'm just curious, (please don't take this the wrong way) but is there no free healthcare in the states? In Britain we have everything covered by taxes.

But man, that is one adorable cat.

nope! and for a lot of people healthcare is not affordable. its sad. and for people (like myself) who have a lot of medical expenses, it gets very costly aside from the monthly premiums.

Here the hospitals themselves are free, bust most doctors are cunts and ask for 'a bit extra', which is essentially a bribe. We call it "the envelope". If you're that "lucky" and end up with one of these docs and don't want to pay, you died, simple as that.

A few years ago my dad's bile was damaged and it got into his system. They kept him in the bed for 5 days saying that were we not to give them the cash, he'd die. Eventually, my mother "broke" the life insurance they had, we took some money from my grandparents and all that and we gave them 10.000 . The next day, a spot on the surgery schedule had magically become free.

Thankfully all went well and my dad's as good as new now, but these doctors sure are cunts. Hell, I was in the hospital for two weeks this Christmas and they decided to give me spinal puncture, even though it wasn't needed. Instead of the head doctor doing it, they had an intern try. She ended up doing it 15 TIMES, 15 injections to my spine with no an anaesthetic , in order to get it right.

Anyway, hospitals and me don't have the best relationship, but I want to thank everyone who has gotten word out or helped this kitty in any way.

Edited by Kostisfire

Here the hospitals themselves are free, bust most doctors are cunts and ask for 'a bit extra', which is essentially a bribe. We call it "the envelope". If you're that "lucky" and end up with one of these docs and don't want to pay, you died, simple as that.

A few years ago my dad's bile was damaged and it got into his system. They kept him in the bed for 5 days saying that were we not to give them the cash, he'd die. Eventually, my mother "broke" the life insurance they had, we took some money from my grandparents and all that and we gave them 10.000 . The next day, a spot on the survey schedule had magically became free.

Thankfully all went well and my dad's as good as new now, but these doctors sure are cunts. Hell, I was in the hospital for two weeks this Christmas and they decided to give me spinal puncture, even though it wasn't needed. Instead of the head doctor doing it, they had an intern try. She ended up doing it 15 TIMES, 15 injections to my spine with no an anaesthetic , in order to get it right.

Anyway, hospitals and me don't have the best relationship, but I want to thank everyone who has gotten word out or helped this kitty in any way.

That sounds horrendous. But yeah, it's great to see support to this cat.