UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-Man coming to the MCU!

Brad Redfield

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Welp, dreams do come true!

EDIT:

Sources are saying he'll make his big debut in Captain America: Civil War and that Andrew Garfield is out. Standalone film hits July 28th, 2017, pushing back the rest of the phase 3 films except for Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1 & 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Edited by Brad Redfield

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s all I want to know:

-Can we get JK Simmons back as JJ?! He goddamned defined the character and would be amazing in the MCU, could you imagine a scene where he tries to interview Stark!

-Can it NOT be an origin story?! We get it, radioactive spider bite, dead uncle, great responsibility, blah blah... just start with him as Spider-man and gets to the good stuff? Maybe play Weird Al’s “Ode to the Superhero” to catch anyone who’s too slow up to speed

-Who’s gonna play Peter?! It has to be someone who can act against Robert Downey Jr and not be destroyed by him... I’m gonna say: Jay Baruchel! Okay, first ideas been tossed out, someone top that!

If Spider-Man takes off his mask during a press conference to reveal his secret identity and the audience doesn't see a Peter Parker they already recognize, the dramatic effect will be diminished. I understand that Marvel wants a do-over (no need for yet another origin) but they'd be better off polishing Sony's turd, which is essentially what they've agreed to do from what I've read.

Here’s all I want to know:-Can we get JK Simmons back as JJ?! He goddamned defined the character and would be amazing in the MCU, could you imagine a scene where he tries to interview Stark!-Can it NOT be an origin story?! We get it, radioactive spider bite, dead uncle, great responsibility, blah blah... just start with him as Spider-man and gets to the good stuff? Maybe play Weird Al’s “Ode to the Superhero” to catch anyone who’s too slow up to speed-Who’s gonna play Peter?! It has to be someone who can act against Robert Downey Jr and not be destroyed by him... I’m gonna say: Jay Baruchel! Okay, first ideas been tossed out, someone top that!

I agree. I don't really want an origin story movie again. Perhaps when the stand-alone movie is released, it could be like a Lost episode where there are flashbacks to explain their past, but it's not overdone because the audience pretty much knows everything about the character.

Meh, I can't really say I'm super thrilled. Sony's still handing the standalone films, so that doesn't instill me with hope. Plus, I really liked the focus on less exposed characters in the MCU, and Spider-Man interacting with them worries me that he'll be taking the spotlight in the Avengers films from here out.

If Spider-Man takes off his mask during a press conference to reveal his secret identity

Would be a terrible move to do this at all in the film IMO. It was terrible in the comics, but at least there you had almost 50 years to play around with the alter ego angle. To start out his Marvel Studios tenure by his pulling the stunt Tony did at the end of Iron Man (and so, it's far from original or shocking anyway) would be laaaaaaame.

I don't think Marvel's going to throw Spidey into their movies unless it makes sense.

This is great news for Sony. Not so much for Marvel. It seems the House of Ideas is running out of good ones hence the desire to adapt Civil War and the need to compromise to include Spidey.

If Spider-Man takes off his mask during a press conference to reveal his secret identity and the audience doesn't see a Peter Parker they already recognize, the dramatic effect will be diminished. I understand that Marvel wants a do-over (no need for yet another origin) but they'd be better off polishing Sony's turd, which is essentially what they've agreed to do from what I've read.

I’d ONLY want Garfield to unmask in Cap3 IF AND ONLY IF at the start of the new solo Spider-man movie Sally Fields is BRUTALLY murdered by a thug hired by Netflix’s Kingpin and Kevin Feige himself shows up dressed as Mephesto (space devil, not Ghost Rider man in suit BS) and offers him a way to do it over, he agrees and wakes up the next morning to find Sally Fields and Emma Stone in the kitchen eating wheat cakes like they didn’t die horrible tragic deaths and he’s like “whaaaaaaaaa?!” and picks up a news paper to see the headline “Amazing Spider-man 2 never happened! Also Spider-man Still A Menace!”

... but since Sony themselves were planning to recast Spider-man in either Sinister Six (now canceled!) or if he didn’t appear in that then in Amazing 3 it seems likely he’ll be a new actor in Cap 3. I’m still saying Jay Baruchel until someone (probably Marvel) throws out a better idea.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was The Empire Strikes Back of the Spider-Man movie franchise. Yes, it made the least amount of box office than other Spidey movies but it's because it was a sequel that ended on a downer. Nobody rushes out to see a sad Spider-Man movie.

Nothing needs salvaging in that film. It just needs to be finished. Re-introduce Mary Jane and Jameson. Form the Sinister Six in a stand-alone film that ends with Spider-Man leading into the third Amazing Spidey flick.

I'm hearing that the guy behind the mask might well be Miles !

That would really throw off audiences.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was The Empire Strikes Back of the Spider-Man movie franchise. Yes, it made the least amount of box office than other Spidey movies but it's because it was a sequel that ended on a downer. Nobody rushes out to see a sad Spider-Man movie.

Nothing needs salvaging in that film. It just needs to be finished. Re-introduce Mary Jane and Jameson. Form the Sinister Six in a stand-alone film that ends with Spider-Man leading into the third Amazing Spidey flick.

I don't know about that. Dark Knight had a similar downer type of ending, though worse in some ways because it ends with the public hating Bats, but that movie was a mega success. I think ASM 2 suffered from negative word of mouth because it was so dang unfocused, and didn't integrate the elements of the film together as well as they could have been. Too bad, because they did Spider-Man himself so right. I'm skeptical as to whether the next guy will beat out Garfield in that respect. As Parker? Sure. As a Spidey story? Absolutely.

Good points.

Most comments I'm reading around the 'net are in favor of Garfield keeping the role. If there's a way for Marvel to salvage what was set up in the last two movies, I'd be fine with that.

Or ignore them and keep him anyway. Confusion be damned he's a great Spider-Man.

Hell all they'd really have to do is set it about 5 years after ASM 1 and 2 and throw him into Civil War and just vaguely acknowledge that they both happened, start him off with a solid villain base, and have him go from there. Plus it'd give us a chance to see Dane DeHaan play Harry Osborn again except with a good script to work with. Which would be nice because I will defend that casting until I die.

Garfield was atrocious lmao. He was *decent* in the costume but came off like some urban hipster. In any case, it seems all reports indicate he's NOT coming back. This was obvious after the Sony emails though, there was a lot of tension and not a good working relationship.

My hope is that they can cast someone more like the 90's animated character. Medium build, more confident, and most likely years into his career already. No more awkward hipster types with teen problems.

Meh, I can't really say I'm super thrilled. Sony's still handing the standalone films, so that doesn't instill me with hope. Plus, I really liked the focus on less exposed characters in the MCU, and Spider-Man interacting with them worries me that he'll be taking the spotlight in the Avengers films from here out.

My thoughts exactly! (close to it): "Spidey and Xavier's kids being out of the equation was one of the reasons Marvel gave their other properties a chance (in my opinion). I'm afraid Parker is going to steal some thunder. Let's hope Sony takes Tony and the gang out for dinner first."

Garfield is 31.

Reportedly they're looking for someone much younger for the role.

Personally, I'd like to see Peter as a high school student for a couple years. The revelation that Spider-MAN was actually a kid was always fun to me.

Uhh he acted and looked like a high school kid, his actual age has nothing to do with it, hth.

Also as for them looking for someone "much younger" is random sites wish-listing and has nothing to do with news out of Sony or Marvel, again, hth.

You'd like to see Peter as a high school student for a couple years? Like the last couple years already? I'd much rather we see a seasoned Spider-man than another origin. This franchise will not survive a third origins story.

Garfield is 31.

Personally, I'd like to see Peter as a high school student for a couple years. The revelation that Spider-MAN was actually a kid was always fun to me.

Uhh he acted and looked like a high school kid, his actual age has nothing to do with it, hth.

Also as for them looking for someone "much younger" is random sites wish-listing and has nothing to do with news out of Sony or Marvel, again, hth.

You'd like to see Peter as a high school student for a couple years? Like the last couple years already? I'd much rather we see a seasoned Spider-man than another origin. This franchise will not survive a third origins story.

I'd also like to see a different take on Spider Man. Sony have said it's going to be Peter Parker (I think), but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the awkward, youthful teen we've seen before. Edited by Pedro Pablumo

Garfield is 31.

His actual age has a lot to do with it. Look at how fast the last Spidey started looking his age. Hi-def images and IMAX screens certainly don't help. And with a younger performer, you can get more mileage out of him in terms of the number of pictures. Garfield's only signed on for three, as I recall.

And I wouldn't call The Hollywood Reporter a random, wish-listing site. tongue.png (HTH)

Personally, I don't want another Spider-Man movie at all. I'd much rather see a live-action TV series on a premium cable channel, one that ties in to what Netflix has going on. Give the character time to grow. Do a whole season of him struggling with high school and developing as a reluctant hero. Episodic TV over rebooted franchises every few years.

Garfield is 31.

His actual age has a lot to do with it. Look at how fast the last Spidey started looking his age. Hi-def images and IMAX screens certainly don't help. And with a younger performer, you can get more mileage out of him in terms of the number of pictures. Garfield's only signed on for three, as I recall.

And I wouldn't call The Hollywood Reporter a random, wish-listing site. tongue.png (HTH)

Personally, I don't want another Spider-Man movie at all. I'd much rather see a live-action TV series on a premium cable channel, one that ties in to what Netflix has going on. Give the character time to grow. Do a whole season of him struggling with high school and developing as a reluctant hero. Episodic TV over rebooted franchises every few years.

You're still missing the point beyond belief. I don't want to see Peter Parker in high school anymore, that's so worn out. With a younger performer you go BACKWARDS sticking with the same problems and awkwardness we've had the last 15 years. Garfield's age was a problem because he was cast as a teenager, that's dumb. You can cast someone in their 20's or early 30's as long as that's the character they're portraying.

See, I don't doubt it's going to be a younger actor cast, but Hollywood Reporter doesn't even cite an anonymous source. They can write whatever and hope it will stick. It's not always reliable news.

Hopefully this means that Sony will mostly stay out of the way and let Marvel do their thing:

Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.
I had low expectations for ASM2, knowing that Orci and Kurtzman were involved in the writing, but I was still shocked at how bad it was when I actually sat down and watched it. The actors were fine but the story was a mess. If Sony's smart they'll let the guys with the proven record do the heavy lifting.
I think Incredible Hulk is probably the template for how to handle the new movie. Cast new actors, start with the character already active, throw in a few flashbacks. I would love to see J.K. Simmons involved though.