UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

XBox One external help

Shanester

My son wants an external drive for his XBox One, as a birthday present. I have been out of the game for a long time. Any recommendations from the players here? I am very familiar with USB type externals, but don't know if XBox One uses typical USB 2.0 or 3.0 technology or if they have specific hardware needs. Thanks.

Follow up question. I use external usb drives quite a lot. I know it can take some work to fill a 500GB drive with typical data files. What I don't know is how large XBox game files get typically. Is a 500gb drive a decent quantity in the XBox world or a drop in the bucket? I realize it can be relative to one's use, but in general terms is this a decent size? Thanks again.

This one isn't as easy to answer, and it brings up my biggest peeve with the xbox 1.

You have to install every game to the hard drive. And if it's a disc based game, you still have to have the disc in the drive to play it.

It takes an inordinate amount of time to install a game from disc.

Typical xbox 1 games seem to be approximately 40gb in size from the disc, but then you have to add on mandatory update files.

Depending on how many games you want to have immediately available for play, it fills up fast.

Edited by JediJohnson

Thanks! I will likely go straight to for a 2TB. I have a 500GB that is still in the package, but its too small I think. I use externals a lot. I have some things that I just can't or won't put on a cloud drive, so I travel with externals.

Thanks! I will likely go straight to for a 2TB. I have a 500GB that is still in the package, but its too small I think. I use externals a lot. I have some things that I just can't or won't put on a cloud drive, so I travel with externals.

Worried about your your personal sex tapes getting stolen if you were to put them on the cloud I see :)

Shane, this is a nice drive here. I actually just bought this one as LaCie makes high quality, reliable stuff. The 3TB is only $20 more too.

Thanks! I will probably take your recommendation.