UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New York Toyfair 2015

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that just occurred to me. Gotham is a Fox production. Could this announcement be because Fox has the merchandise rights and not DC directly? Could be just like the movies. Fox and Sony etc have merchandise licensing rights for "their" movies so it would make sense that Gotham merchandise rights are actually owned by Fox (even though they might need DC approval for Trademarks, etc). Given that DST seems to be doing well with their other Fox related licenses (Alien, Predator, etc) this actually makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Re: Gotham

Wow. Tough crowd here. I'm thrilled to have a DC property under the Minimates brand. At the very least this is a foot in the door and if AA can turn these into a hit, DC will have to take notice. Of course the character designs are about as exciting as, say, The Wolverine or Thief of Thieves but that doesn't mean retailers won't give it a try.

Wow. Tough crowd here. I'm thrilled to have a DC property under the Minimates brand. At the very least this is a foot in the door and if AA can turn these into a hit, DC will have to take notice. Of course the character designs are about as exciting as, say, The Wolverine or Thief of Thieves but that doesn't mean retailers won't give it a try.

I would have to agree

Those waves seemed like pretty big busts, retailers should be (rightfully) cautious with more of the same.

After seeing the ridiculous amount of characters Hasbro showed off today I think any minimate announcements tomorrow are going to feel like a bit of a letdown in comparison. To be fair, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of room in the Marvel schedule for something we're not expecting, but it's hard not to be jealous when Hasbro is showing of Marvel Legends of characters like Bulldozer, Tigershark, Batroc, Hellcat, Blizzard, Thundra, and Misty Knight. That's crazy.

A few points:

- We do not allow press on the show floor on the first day. We have too many buyers coming through. So you'll see coverage tomorrow and every day after.

- There is no panel or presentation. The show opens, buyers and press come to our booth to meet with sales reps, and I walk 40-50 individual press appointments through our entire showroom. We are not Hasbro, although their setup certainly sounds nice.

- Gotham and Thief of Thieves are in no way comparable. Gotham is the number 2 new show on TV this year. Thief of Thieves is a comic book. And Wolverine was carried by TRU.

- No photography allowed on the Predator Minimates. Not approved yet.

- No photography on our deluxe Alien Minimates. Not approved yet. And we did show Aliens last year. Two years ago they were still very early prototypes and were under wraps. I think they were worth the wait.

- Our Gotham license is with Warner Bros., not Fox. They own the show, Fox just airs it. We actually have several Warner's licenses now, including Classic Batman TV and DC Animated.

- This is not a precursor to DC comic MInimates. Not saying they will never happen again, but this is not some kind of stepping stone. There are a lot of players in the game, and even if they were inclined to give it to us, it is not necessarily that easy. We are very happy with our current lineup.

- No photos on the Ant-Man box set, either.

- Went back a few more pages. Sorry you all don't like Gotham. I love the show, I love that they are DC characters (just on principle), and the 22 million people who watch each episode would probably agree. First set has two suits in it, one lab coat and a skirt. And some of our most popular Minimates have worn suits. Puppet Master, J. Jonah Jameson, etc.

zach,what are the chances of DCAU mates?

The same as DC comic Minimates, as far as I know. But Ask DST.

I don't mean to argue, since I don't really care, but the suit part isn't the major nitpick.

Its just civilian clothes, which are okay, but we've had a ton of Civilian stuff in the past year (Sin City, Pulp Fiction, BBT, Comic Book Idiots) so seeing more guys in suits kind of just feels... underwhelming, I guess.

Puppet Master and JJJ are different since its expected for them to be in suits, and they were also in really good waves of costumed characters and iconic looks.

But my general apathy towards DC might sour any announcement that isn't CW verse, lol.

But yes, its the best performing comic book show of last year on basic networks, I believe (I don't think AoS is performing better, but that is probably natural decline due to it being in its 2nd season) and its got a huge fanbase.

Hell, if this just gets people to buy more minimates, I'm in. Especially since I don't think any other toy company is making Gotham anything.

At the end of the day though, I just really hope this does lead to push for other DC products (mainly animated and CW), despite the huge chance of this being the only DC thing for a long while.

and the 22 million people who watch each episode would probably agree.

Gotham debuted with around 8 million viewers (live, not counting re-runs and delayed DVR views which still doesn't get close to 22 million) and has shrunk to around 5 million with ratings declining each week. Their rating/share, DVR numbers and overall viewers have steadily dropped since the series debut.

EDIT: With 3 episodes remaining the ratings are expected to dip to around 4.5-4.7 (with an expected ratings burst anywhere from 5.0-6.0 for the season finale) which would effectively mean that Gotham lost around half of it's audience through it's first season. That's a clear failure.

Edited by Politician