UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New York Toyfair 2015

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Zola. My little just turned six months and he loves looking at his dad's minimates. Have to keep him at arms legnth because everything he grabs goes in his mouth.

It may not seem like it but i know the feeling. I basically lived with my baby cousin until he was 2 years

Edited by Gmonkey2k

I'm guessing the new license is Joss Whedon's Firefly. Funko did the crew in their ReAction line, soon to be released in their POP! line and the 6" Legacy figures were revealed on Facebook earlier today. If cult films like Kill Bill and Sin City can sell Minimates there is no reason Firefly can't support a couple of waves/box sets as well.

- Active Mainstream Property

- Minimates and Select

- SDCC 2-pack followed by boxsets (no 2-pack asst. or blind bags currently planned)

Zach ruled out Star Wars, but not something DC related. Could still be DC, or it could just as likely be Zach tired of addressing the DC issue here. :)

Zach has hinted in the past that they have tv show plans, and the lack of a planned 2-pack asst. could correspond to a TV theme (see Big Bang Theory).

My guess if TV related is the following:

I doubt this counts as a "current mainstream property" but worth bringing up. Batman '66 was a big deal when it was announced, but the product released so far hasn't set the world on fire like DC hoped it would. Hot Toys may not even produce their Batmobile due to slow figure sales of the lead characters. maybe licensing costs have gone down due to slow sales and DST is jumping onboard? I would love 'mates, but just not sure if the demand is there at this point.

- Hannibal (DST already did SotL back in the day, so there is a precedence, and nobody else is doing Select scaled figures. Although if he doesn't think retailers would carry Breaking Bad, then Hannibal might be a concern too.) I would love to see DST's take on the Wendigo!

- Arrow/Flash Universe. Maybe they got the rights to produce toys from the TV universe, but the Select toys statement might rule that theory out? Not sure as I don't follow DC/Mattel.

- Teen Titans Go! Another company (Jazwares) has been doing figures of various sizes, but have been unable to release the whole team together (except for a boxset of non-articulated minifigs)

- Community is coming back via Yahoo soon, there is currently zero action figure merchandise for this series, and who wouldn't want a Select Dean Pelton?

- Game if Thrones is a no-brainer for Minimates, but Dark Horse and Funko are already releasing similar Select scaled action figures/statues.

- Walking Dead TV, like DC, this has traditionally been a license that gets shot down quickly By Zach. Although if sales of the comic based Minimates have cooled as much as I think they have, maybe DST is ready to make the switch to the TV License? There is also a spin-off show coming soon, and what better way to launch the property than a Daryl/Merle SDCC exclusive?

- Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter would require a new license and there is zero product currently on the market.

- Netflix Defenders would also require a new license. SDCC pack could be Daredevil/Kingpin with future boxsets for the other series. This is also a no-brainer for Minimates/Select, especially with the recent casting announcements for AKA Jessica Jones.

- all of the currently airing animated shows from the Spongebob speculation thread could apply too.

Not TV related but what if it's Mortal Kombat X, based on the new Digital DC comics? It's DC but not exactly DC, and the two-pack makes sense (Scorpion/Sub). It's an active, mainstream property that would generate buzz and has tons of characters to chose from. It could theoretically support a blind bag assortment and Box-Sets, waves, etc... Same logic applies to Injustice.

Congrats Arnim! Using yb's cheat sheet:

- Active Mainstream Property
- Minimates and Select
- SDCC 2-pack followed by boxsets (no 2-pack asst. or blind bags currently planned)

Zach ruled out Star Wars

I would say Frozen is off the table. Not sure you can consider a movie from a couple years back as an "active" property. It also means Batman '66 is off the table, which makes me sad beyond belief, because that would be just about a perfect license for Minimates. Can't see a general DC license starting with a 2-pack and then box sets.

To say something is "active" suggests to me that it is likely either a current TV show, or a current video game, or comic book. DST loves video games, so assuming he hasn't shot that down yet, maybe Nintendo? Game of Thrones fits in with lots of other Minimates of the past, but I'm going to guess that isn't the case, because I don't want that to be the case. Great show, kind of hum-drum designs for Minimates. Arrow and/or Flash TV show 'Mates would make some sense. Maybe something like NCIS would have appeal, and it's one of the biggest shows on TV apparently. I'm so out of the loop with comics that I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess. I don't think Defenders would be a massive announcement worthy of its own discussion, since it ties in so well to an existing license.

I'm going to go with video game. . .something. Nintendo is the largest glaring omission from the ranks of iconic video gamedom IMO, though I wouldn't be averse to a classic arcade series with Pac-Man, Frogger, Q-Bert, Pong, and other franchises that would seem to be totally unsuitable for Minimates.

Edited by karamazov80

- Active Mainstream Property- Minimates and Select- SDCC 2-pack followed by boxsets (no 2-pack asst. or blind bags currently planned)Zach ruled out Star Wars

I would say Frozen is off the table. Not sure you can consider a movie from a couple years back as an "active" property. It also means Batman '66 is off the table, which makes me sad beyond belief, because that would be just about a perfect license for Minimates. Can't see a general DC license starting with a 2-pack and then box sets.

To say something is "active" suggests to me that it is likely either a current TV show, or a current video game, or comic book. DST loves video games, so assuming he hasn't shot that down yet, maybe Nintendo? Game of Thrones fits in with lots of other Minimates of the past, but I'm going to guess that isn't the case, because I don't want that to be the case. Great show, kind of hum-drum designs for Minimates. Arrow and/or Flash TV show 'Mates would make some sense. Maybe something like NCIS would have appeal, and it's one of the biggest shows on TV apparently. I'm so out of the loop with comics that I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess. I don't think Defenders would be a massive announcement worthy of its own discussion, since it ties in so well to an existing license.

I'm going to go with video game. . .something. Nintendo is the largest glaring omission from the ranks of iconic video gamedom IMO, though I wouldn't be averse to a classic arcade series with Pac-Man, Frogger, Q-Bert, Pong, and other franchises that would seem to be totally unsuitable for Minimates.

That is where you are wrong my dear Karamazov, as there is currently a Batman '66 comic right now

Not TV related but what if it's Mortal Kombat X, based on the new Digital DC comics? It's DC but not exactly DC, and the two-pack makes sense (Scorpion/Sub). It's an active, mainstream property that would generate buzz and has tons of characters to chose from. It could theoretically support a blind bag assortment and Box-Sets, waves, etc... Same logic applies to Injustice.

I would be all over Injustice like green on leaves

- Active Mainstream Property- Minimates and Select- SDCC 2-pack followed by boxsets (no 2-pack asst. or blind bags currently planned)Zach ruled out Star Wars

That is where you are wrong my dear Karamazov, as there is currently a Batman '66 comic right now

But is 66 mainstream? In all of the comic forums I frequent I haven't (yet) met someone who pulls this. Nostalgia is fine and all, but 66 is not what I'd call "active and mainstream". Saga is the new Walking Dead but I think the creators are against merchandizing. MK X and Injustice seem like a likely candidates to me. I also mentioned MGS and Nintendo before but I think it has to do something with DC. Otherwise Zach would just turn it down and be done with it.

It'd actually give us the bulk of important DC characters so that'd be a nice "door" to the regular DC license one day.

Hasbro just acquired the rights to Frozen last September. It's a very active property.

Other companies are currently producing Firefly merchandise, and Zach dismissed it as not being an "active" property. If '66 Batman is considered "active" because a comic based off of it is around, then I think we're stretching that term pretty thin. But hey, I hope that's the case!

Edited by karamazov80

But is 66 mainstream? In all of the comic forums I frequent I haven't (yet) met someone who pulls this. Nostalgia is fine and all, but 66 is not what I'd call "active and mainstream". Saga is the new Walking Dead but I think the creators are against merchandizing. MK X and Injustice seem like a likely candidates to me. I also mentioned MGS and Nintendo before but I think it has to do something with DC. Otherwise Zach would just turn it down and be done with it.

It'd actually give us the bulk of important DC characters so that'd be a nice "door" to the regular DC license one day.

Also If we got Injustice, we would still get Scorpion, maybe as a variant

post-9944-0-10315400-1423667742_thumb.jp

Edited by Gmonkey2k

It also means Batman '66 is off the table, which makes me sad beyond belief, because that would be just about a perfect license for Minimates.

Just to keep fanning the hope it’s Batman 66. There actually IS an on going Batman ’66 comic right now.

Not sure if it counts as “mainstream” though since it is on-line only (although maybe Zach meant “mainstream” in that it’s f**king Batman, not mainstream in that this particular on-going series is taking the world by storm)

Also, I *would* consider Frozen on-going as a media property. I saw a box of ‘Frozen the Cereal’ at the store today and I would certainly hope that’s new, I don’t want to think there’s year old cereal sitting around an otherwise clean and tidy store, and Target is absolutely lousy with Frozen Valentines Day merch, for a movie about familial love over romantic love they sure did jump all over slapping Elsa and Anna on heart shape boxes of cheap chocolates... Also when Disney ‘retires’ a property but wants to keep selling merch for it the Princess gets folded into the “Disney Princess” line, Anna and Elsa still get merch under the “Frozen” banner (even the Lego Ice Castle, which is sold under the “Princess” line has a “Frozen” logo on, if you could find one in stores compare it to the other Princess sets and note the lack of “Aladdin” or “Tangled” logos)

Plus the characters from Frozen are still very active in “Once Upon A Time” (and unlike most Disney characters in OUAT Elsa and Anna constantly refer directly to the movie they come from and make it very clear they are the actual Disney Elsa and Anna not OUAT reimaginations of Elsa and Anna even if future Frozen sequels will null OUAT cannon for them) and Kenneth Branagh’s upcoming Cinderella movie has a Frozen short in front of it where in Elsa and Kristof plan a birthday party for Anna (with a song by the original composers! so sorry parents, there’s a new thing for your toddler to bellow out for 7 months) so yeah... the movies old but Frozen is still a very active franchise.

Yeah, but. . .

I'm guessing the new license is Joss Whedon's Firefly.

Nope, it's an active mainstream property.

Implication that Firefly is neither active, nor mainstream. If "active" were to equate with property with currently available merchandise, then we wouldn't have this:

http://qmxonline.com/products/malcolm-reynolds-1-6-scale-articulated-figure

Edited by karamazov80