UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Roccothegreat

So what you're saying is that if Howard the Duck appears on Daredevil next season, a boxed set of Minimates is a sure bet.

The popularity of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie makes so much more sense now! Never underestimate the staggering appeal of a pop culture duck.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are the chances that people from 35 years ago are buying this Howard minimate? I mean I usually hear DST talking about recent sales more than anything and if, IF Moon Knight is doing better than Howard, then it would be a strange choice now.

I don't care either way about Howard or MK, I guess the cameo for Howard is enough but despite not reading comics recently (I'm working my way from 1939 until present) I do hear talk about MK in other forums I go to, LCS stores I visit. I thought Kostisfire was a crazy person but I guess people are talking about MK a lot after all, at least compared to zero I've heard about Howard.

The lack of comics history in here is stunning. Mirymate, wherever he is, would be pitching a fit. Howard the Duck was a genuine pop culture phenomenon. Granted, this is 35 years ago, but that's more then Moon Knight can say. Or Daredevil, frankly, since that book was never a top seller. Yes, Howard certainly peaked a long time ago, but he's a very important character in Marvel, and comics, history. Probably not ahead of Daredevil, but certainly ahead of Moon Knight.

As for his new comic, I haven't read it yet, but the artist, Joe Quinones, is brilliant.

Back then? Maybe, yeah, he even got a movie. But the argument "he's got a comic out now" is weak. Is he an important Marvel character? No, not really. Does he appear in team books and whatnot? Has he appeared in any games, toys, sparred? If MK's D-List, Howard's F-List.

Hey, at least MK is in Ultimate Aliance, some Spider-Man games, in Marvel's mobile games, in Marvel's MMORPG Marvel Heroes, etc. Sure, he is a nobody and he's got to be paired with someone known to really sell, but no, I don't think he's less well known than Howard.

The thing I don't get is this: Shanna appeared for a few issues in Wolverine's critically panned Now! comic and immediately got a figure. Howard had 2 issues of his new run under his belt when the 64 line-up was announced and yet he got a figure (that I kinda get since we were seeing a lot of Howard merch at the time due to GotG). The reason why is always "they have/appeared in a recent comic".

So my question is: Doesn't MK's current, well received (it's dropped a bit since the Ellis era but it's still hanging on) comic count? I don't know, maybe I'm just obsessed with getting a new fig of him, but it seems to be that Chuck just pushes what he wants. Truth is, yeah, he's in charge, it's his call, not mine,but this whole X isn't popular enough but Y is when the opposite is true, is getting a bit irritating. Ghost Rider hasn't had a new leather jacket fig since who knows when, and Shanna/Howard get one.

Heck, Khamala Khan is Marvel's breakout star with a highly aclaimed comic, good sales and a wide fan base, yet she doesn't get a figure...

EDIT: As for being "a cultural phenomenon" (if he was, wouldn't there be toys, memorabilia, shirts, something besides his 30 something issue vol?) well, the Avengers were nobodies a while back and the X-Men reigned supreme. Times change...

Edited by Kostisfire

I thought Kostisfire was a crazy person

Well, I've been called worse truth be told, but uh, that's not really nice man...

What is this thread even about?

Venting? Angst? The insignificance of us, few, hardcore fans in the face of the casual buyers?

lmao. I had to double check the title. xD

I too cancelled cable due to Netflix. Makes sense tbh.

I didn't even know Gotham was a thing still (honestly thought it got cancelled) and DD sells itself.

Boxset: DD, Kingpin, Hand Ninja, Foggy (This can be filler. Even a thug would be great)

People seem to be taking my (and Chuck's) comments personally, and/or reading then selectively. I'm going back to my general policy of "no wish list threads." Which this unfortunately is. Glad people like the show, sorry we're not doing anything for it.

The lack of comics history in here is stunning. Mirymate, wherever he is, would be pitching a fit. Howard the Duck was a genuine pop culture phenomenon. Granted, this is 35 years ago, but that's more then Moon Knight can say. Or Daredevil, frankly, since that book was never a top seller. Yes, Howard certainly peaked a long time ago, but he's a very important character in Marvel, and comics, history. Probably not ahead of Daredevil, but certainly ahead of Moon Knight.

As for his new comic, I haven't read it yet, but the artist, Joe Quinones, is brilliant.

Back then? Maybe, yeah, he even got a movie. But the argument "he's got a comic out now" is weak. Is he an important Marvel character? No, not really. Does he appear in team books and whatnot? Has he appeared in any games, toys, sparred? If MK's D-List, Howard's F-List.

Hey, at least MK is in Ultimate Aliance, some Spider-Man games, in Marvel's mobile games, in Marvel's MMORPG Marvel Heroes, etc. Sure, he is a nobody and he's got to be paired with someone known to really sell, but no, I don't think he's less well known than Howard.

The thing I don't get is this: Shanna appeared for a few issues in Wolverine's critically panned Now! comic and immediately got a figure. Howard had 2 issues of his new run under his belt when the 64 line-up was announced and yet he got a figure (that I kinda get since we were seeing a lot of Howard merch at the time due to GotG). The reason why is always "they have/appeared in a recent comic".

So my question is: Doesn't MK's current, well received (it's dropped a bit since the Ellis era but it's still hanging on) comic count? I don't know, maybe I'm just obsessed with getting a new fig of him, but it seems to be that Chuck just pushes what he wants. Truth is, yeah, he's in charge, it's his call, not mine,but this whole X isn't popular enough but Y is when the opposite is true, is getting a bit irritating. Ghost Rider hasn't had a new leather jacket fig since who knows when, and Shanna/Howard get one.

Heck, Khamala Khan is Marvel's breakout star with a highly aclaimed comic, good sales and a wide fan base, yet she doesn't get a figure...

EDIT: As for being "a cultural phenomenon" (if he was, wouldn't there be toys, memorabilia, shirts, something besides his 30 something issue vol?) well, the Avengers were nobodies a while back and the X-Men reigned supreme. Times change...

I didn't say anything about his current comic, other then the artist is great.

The reason that you don't have any Howard the Duck merchandise (or not much of it) is that he was the subject of a very bitter, public lawsuit between Marvel and creator Steve Gerber. Also, the movie was an embarrassment, which didn't help. And Disney put the hammer to Marvel about him, though I don't think they ever sued.

Howard the Duck is basically the comics equivalent of an athlete that's the best in the world for a short period of time before essentially disappearing. He doesn't have the stats to be a Hall of Famer, but you can't talk about the history of comics without talking about Howard the Duck. Moon Knight? Look, I like Moon Knight. I assure you I've been a Moon Knight fan longer then you. But he's not an important character. Just because Warren Ellis took an interest in him for half a second doesn't suddenly make him a key part of the Marvel Universe.

Anyway, yes, Daredevil was a good show.laugh.png

simple, people being angry that a mediocre show that probably has no chance of making it past its sencond season got its own minimate line that doesnt correlate at all with any other line in recent years, rather than a great show that got an instant fan base that is guaranteed for a second season or more and goes perfectly with the mcu line simply because its hard to get a base of how well the veiwership is even though its insanely obvious how great the viewership is and how pretty much anyone who collected mcu mates in the past is angry about the massive hole in their collection

Edited by FightTheDead118

simple, people being angry that a mediocre show that probably has no chance of making it past its sencond season got its own minimate line that doesnt correlate at all with any other line in recent years, rather than a great show that got an instant fan base that is guaranteed for a second season or more and goes perfectly with the mcu line simply because its hard to get a base of how well the veiwership is even though its insanely obvious how great the viewership is and how pretty much anyone who collected mcu mates in the past is angry about the massive hole in their collection

But what about the stuff with the Duck and Moon Knight?

I didn't say anything about his current comic, other then the artist is great.

The reason that you don't have any Howard the Duck merchandise (or not much of it) is that he was the subject of a very bitter, public lawsuit between Marvel and creator Steve Gerber. Also, the movie was an embarrassment, which didn't help. And Disney put the hammer to Marvel about him, though I don't think they ever sued.

Howard the Duck is basically the comics equivalent of an athlete that's the best in the world for a short period of time before essentially disappearing. He doesn't have the stats to be a Hall of Famer, but you can't talk about the history of comics without talking about Howard the Duck. Moon Knight? Look, I like Moon Knight. I assure you I've been a Moon Knight fan longer then you. But he's not an important character. Just because Warren Ellis took an interest in him for half a second doesn't suddenly make him a key part of the Marvel Universe.

Anyway, yes, Daredevil was a good show.laugh.png

Oh yeah, I remember now. They did an Image crossover as well with his "new" duck character and managed to "snatch" Howard back (supposedly the current Howard is just a copy and the real one is over at Image painted green).

But I don't know, I never would call him a "phenomenon". A phenomenon in my book is when something is really, really popular around the world. If I ask my cousins in Australia or my friends in Germany if they know about "Howard the Duck" I doubt they'll answer that they do.

As for MK I never said that he's know. I said he's at best a D-Lister (and that's stretching). I'm just wondering why his comic doesn't get him a figure, whereas Shanna's 6 issue appearance supposedly did. Or Dazzler's appearance in a few issues of the current Uncanny Vol got her a Disco Dazzler mate (had they gone with the new look I could buy it, but it's been years since she wore this and she's bloody Dazzler, she's not Wolverine).

All I'm saying is, it's kinda weird to see such characters get a shot with the argument that "they're appearing/have their own comic" when it also applies for other characters as well, yet, they don't even get a shot.

I mean Ghost Rider is more popular than Dazzler, Howard, whatever. He got two movies which performed pretty well and is generally a "cult" icon. If I ask people about who the Rider is, chances are they'll answer "the guy with the flaming skull". Yet, he can't carry a 2-pack? I don't know, it seems weird to me is all...

lmao. I had to double check the title. xD

I too cancelled cable due to Netflix. Makes sense tbh.

I didn't even know Gotham was a thing still (honestly thought it got cancelled) and DD sells itself.

Boxset: DD, Kingpin, Hand Ninja, Foggy (This can be filler. Even a thug would be great)

'Twas Constantine what got the axe. Not Gotham.

But what about the stuff with the Duck and Moon Knight?

well kostis is here, how long did you expect the thread to get without a moon knight request? and the duck is the duck so what else did you think was gonna happen

Edited by FightTheDead118

In defense of Dazzler and Howard: They've both had recognition outside of just comics. Howard had his own movie (yeah, it wasn't exactly good, but it still happened) and at one point had a freaking presidential campaign running. Add in the fact that he's carried his own series several times over the years and you've got a character with some recognition, especially to the older audience. Sure, he's c-list at best, but he does have several points in his favor. Dazzler was initially created as a cross-media character (though it didn't quite work out), stuck with the X-Men for a fair bit of time, has held her own series, and is in A-Force, which has been getting a fair bit of coverage. All that plus the fact that the set is tied-in with Secret Wars makes it a reasonable set. Sure, it's a more obscure choice than usual, but I actually don't think it's much more out there than Jubilee and Destiny.

As for Moon Knight (who I am actually a pretty big fan of, by the way), it's easy to see why he's a hard sell. He's had a few series over the years, but nothing that's really lasted, especially recently. The biggest problem he faces, in my eyes, is that no two creators can agree on how he should be handled, meaning he doesn't really have a defined character. Also, the character's never had much of a presence outside of comics, aside from a few video games that had lots of other characters.

Shanna's inclusion in 51 probably was mostly to do with the fact that her co-star at the time was Wolverine. Moon Knight's co-star was.... Moon Knight.

Getting back on topic: I think that DD 'mates would be really cool, and I really think they would do well. The show was a pretty massive success. Before it premiered, season 2 was at best a distant possibility. In less than a month, it was fast tracked for next year. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of how Season 1 performed. DST seems to have made up their minds that Season 1 'mates won't be happening, and that's their call, but I think overlooking Season 2 would be a mistake.

In defense of Dazzler and Howard: They've both had recognition outside of just comics. Howard had his own movie (yeah, it wasn't exactly good, but it still happened) and at one point had a freaking presidential campaign running. Add in the fact that he's carried his own series several times over the years and you've got a character with some recognition, especially to the older audience. Sure, he's c-list at best, but he does have several points in his favor. Dazzler was initially created as a cross-media character (though it didn't quite work out), stuck with the X-Men for a fair bit of time, has held her own series, and is in A-Force, which has been getting a fair bit of coverage. All that plus the fact that the set is tied-in with Secret Wars makes it a reasonable set. Sure, it's a more obscure choice than usual, but I actually don't think it's much more out there than Jubilee and Destiny.

As for Moon Knight (who I am actually a pretty big fan of, by the way), it's easy to see why he's a hard sell. He's had a few series over the years, but nothing that's really lasted, especially recently. The biggest problem he faces, in my eyes, is that no two creators can agree on how he should be handled, meaning he doesn't really have a defined character. Also, the character's never had much of a presence outside of comics, aside from a few video games that had lots of other characters.

Shanna's inclusion in 51 probably was mostly to do with the fact that her co-star at the time was Wolverine. Moon Knight's co-star was.... Moon Knight.

Getting back on topic: I think that DD 'mates would be really cool, and I really think they would do well. The show was a pretty massive success. Before it premiered, season 2 was at best a distant possibility. In less than a month, it was fast tracked for next year. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of how Season 1 performed. DST seems to have made up their minds that Season 1 'mates won't be happening, and that's their call, but I think overlooking Season 2 would be a mistake.

Howard's got 3 vols, counting this one. The first one, which was brilliant I admit, the second one which was, um, at best mediocre and the current one, which is good but not something special. It's got that indie feel I like, but it's not exactly revolutionary. As for Dazzler, considering she would have been "stuck" in that time period if things did wok out, I think it's best that she remaine a comic character.

Moon Knight hasn't had one memorable story that will go down as one of the greats, I get that. He hasn't done anything important or played a big role in the Marvel U, that I get as well. But I do really think that in contrast to Shanna, yeah, the star of a highly rated book is currently at least more popular than a female Tarzan. Should he be in 64? Well, no, as it's a "best of" kind of wave featuring "classic" versions of alternate reality characters. But should he be ignored? Well, no. You could have struck when the iron was hot, yet, they opted for Shanna packed with a pterodactyl. If she was packed with Wolverine then I could se the logic, but as it stands I'm not really feeling it. Then again, Shanna was in the NOW! Wave and MK debuted in All-New Now! so I guess it makes my point moot.

Either way, I'm not as 'crazy" as I come off. I get bussiness decisions and whatnot and I'm not pretending to know the ins and outs of the toy industry. I'm just going by what I currently see at comic and video game forums. I think people are mosre often than not too "attached" to nostalgia and consider the past to be the same as the present. Things change, trends change. Would you have imagined that Gwen Stacy would have been the most "famous" Spider-"Woman"? I mean, she got her book due to the fans, because they asked for it. MK had a great book and his "popularity" has been raised the last two years. He is more well known now in contrast to before. He's not Spider-Man or even Deadpool, that's not what I'm saying. All Im saying is that he deserves a spot in an 8-figure wave.

Plus, I do genuinely think that Ghost Rider is far more popular than Howard and Dazzler. He's had 2 profitable movies, and lots of series and issues under his belt. And he's also pretty iconic. If I go out on the street and ask people who the flaming skeleton in the bike is, they'll tell me Ghost Rider. If I show them Howard, they'll answer "isn't that Donald Duck?". Plus, if something is well-known in a certain place it doesn't mean that it's as well know in another. For example, arguably the biggest comic in Europe is Asterix. For me and a guy over at say, Italy or France, that's a phenomenon. Howard maybe have been a "cult" character, but I don't really think that he's a "phenomenon" per se. Thus, I do wonder why we haven't had a new Ghost Rider in his classic look in so long. It's not like he's a hard sell, he's literally a flaming skeleton with chains and black leather. That's as "boyish" as you can get.

Now, it's not that I don't like Howard, but when he gets a fig and is packed with a second Dazzler, none of which are sure sellers or anything, I can't possibly imagine a reason why Ghost Rider can't be packed with a Wolverine or Moon Knight with a Spider-Man. Times have changed and people are more willing to try new stuff. Just look at the indie market. Hell, I think part of the reason why the new MK series was a hit is because it drew some of the indie crowd.

Lastly, everyone has a character they desperately want. Others campaign for Batroc, others for X-Factor and other for the bloody Wrecking Crew. So I don't see what really makes me "the crazy person". I do remember Kang being brought up at almost every. single. thread before he got a mate. Sure, I might be a bit more "passionate" than others, but I don't think that I need to be adressed as "a crazy person". I mean, if I'm "crazy" then what is the guy who, while I was at the hospital, was tearing off his tubes and hunting the nurses naked and armed with a broken jack daniels bottle?

Kostis, take it as a compliment that some might confuse 'craziness' with passion . One thing that I never forget about you is that your native language is one that I have little grasp of whilst your English is bloody superb & has the edge on many an Englishman including me . Bravo .......keep the passion going ............. 'nil illegitimi carborundum'

Daredevil Netflix Minimate ? If we haven't had enough DDs already why confuse the hell out of DST by giving them yet another category of Marvel Minimate ? I've always been quite happy with the comic-versions & I've been reasonably pleased with the movie-versions ......I guess I'll be content with the animated versions but yes I'm a bit sceptical about Netflix (?) versions as well . How many universes do I need ? One is fine thanks .....one good one.

So for the record IMHO another DD version based on his fleeting TV appearance is asking for a bit much & may tax DST into finding yet another 'red' to paint & mould him with ........how many reds are there ?

As for the Howard the Duck minimate we are getting , he looks remarkably like the latest comic version which looks nothing like Gerber's original a character imbedded in my psyche . I'm very disappointed that we're not getting something akin to the original.......but that's my problem ,right?

Whilst some might say 'never say never' I keep shaking my head & thinking "will DST 'ever say ever" to the characters that beg to be made . Netflix DD ? No thanks .

Kostis, take it as a compliment that some might confuse 'craziness' with passion . One thing that I never forget about you is that your native language is one that I have little grasp of whilst your English is bloody superb & has the edge on many an Englishman including me . Bravo .......keep the passion going ............. 'nil illegitimi carborundum'

I think it's the crazy person that sets it apart. "Crazy' in modern culture is sort of a synonym for passionate and even obsesive, but crazy person usually refers to a person of mental illness and whatnot. That's the problem with the net/texts/etc, etc, you can never truly know the other person's tone is and how to respond. Is he/she being playful? Serious? Angry. Truth is you can never tell.

Thanks for the compliments though! But I must confess that I had a really, really good teacher (which is a miracle considering that most english teachers here are actually history or modern greek majors). The Queen's English was his mother language and he spent his childhood in Africa (he left during the height of Apartheid), so the books we studied from were "hand-written" from him and featured the correct pronunciation, various meanings based on the context, etc,etc. Well, that and the fact that my dad grew up in Australia and we had our friends from Germany visit us every summer (same goes for my cousins from Canada), so I had a bit of "hands on" experience with the language aside from the "school work".

As for the Latin part, I got into the "positive direction" (here you choose a "direction" so you study a certain number of subjects, meaning that others get to learn latin, ancient greek and philosophy while I had physics, chemistry, math, etc) so I don't know what that means. BUT....thank goodness for good ol' Google wink.png .

Just to be clear, the issue isn't that DST is just passing on Season 1. It's that they're passing on Netflix series in general. That means no Daredevil, no Jessica Jones, no Luke Cage, no Iron Fist, no Defenders, or any other characters (like the Punisher) who might show up. They're dismissing almost half of the MCU, of which Netflix shows are a part.

Personally I think DST might just be biding their time, waiting for similar "looks" to appear in the comics the way Agents of SHIELD have so they can offer the same characters without ponying up for additional licensing fees. That's about as optimistic as I can get regarding getting Minimates based on Marvel TV, Netflix or ABC.

@Kostis: Just to clarify, I don't think you're a crazy person, I was just weighing in on why we had those three and not MK.

I know man, don't worry. People have different opinions and that's cool. Someone just used the term "crazy person", that what I was not "excited" about.

@Kostis: Just to clarify, I don't think you're a crazy person, I was just weighing in on why we had those three and not MK.

I also don't think you're a crazy person, and I think you add a lot of energy to the board here, which is full of old farts like me. And I think Moon Knight in his white suit would make a swell figure, and probably does deserve to be made.

Unfortunately, if you look at the reasoning given for a certain character being excluded, you can usually find a recent example that contradicts that reasoning. It's really best to just let it go, or you'll head down a rabbit hole with no end in sight.

I also don't think you're a crazy person, and I think you add a lot of energy to the board here, which is full of old farts like me. And I think Moon Knight in his white suit would make a swell figure, and probably does deserve to be made.

Unfortunately, if you look at the reasoning given for a certain character being excluded, you can usually find a recent example that contradicts that reasoning. It's really best to just let it go, or you'll head down a rabbit hole with no end in sight.

Thanks for the kind words, I honestly appreciate them. And yeah, as soon as you start wishlisting eventualy you will end up saying "but why isn't my favourite character getting made?" which, most of the time will get you nowhere. I know that. It's just that, less chances are being taken you know? The movie waves have almost taken over all of the comic spots and the SDCC exclusives are significantily less "exciting" when compared to 2008, 2009 or 2012. I'd just like a more "honest" answer. I'd really appreciate something like "We had a couple of characters to choose from, but in the end, due to a spike in his popularity through GotG, Howard made the cut. Dazzler, well, we thought that she's a classic Marvel Icon who deserves some recognition.". That, I'd just accept and move on.

PS: Futile hope maybe, but every year's TRU set is based on last year's event, so this one might be Original Sin themed, so I could see MK being one of the choices. Something like: Old Fury, Watcher, Orb, Panther, Strange, Moon Knight