UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
Roccothegreat

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Recommended Posts

The Thunderer certainly looks like a kung fu master, and is a character from the comics. Madame Gao may be recurring, but she is a fairly passive character with no comic history.

And I'm not sure we got to read a script in advance, so often we have to go off of summaries and suggestions. If she keeps coming back, I'm sure we'll get to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

The Thunderer certainly looks like a kung fu master, and is a character from the comics. Madame Gao may be recurring, but she is a fairly passive character with no comic history.

And I'm not sure we got to read a script in advance, so often we have to go off of summaries and suggestions. If she keeps coming back, I'm sure we'll get to her.

Do you think you'd ever be able to do a wave of Netflix with Defenders, Punisher, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil all set for releases in the future? Just like a general Netflix wave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything is possible, but nothing is planned. At this point, selling all four or five box sets is the goal. You can think of it as a mega-assortment of four-packs, if that helps. Gao and Shades and Diamondback are obviously possible in some Season 2 sets, but without knowing Sigourney's fate, I would not look for a figure of her any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iron Fist didn't have a whole lot of interesting looks, but this set isn't really helped by having two of the same character (neither of which is in his "signature" or most visually interesting costume) and not making any villains. I'll get the set for Iron Fist and Colleen Wing, but IMO this is the least exciting Netflix set so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Iron Fist didn't have a whole lot of interesting looks, but this set isn't really helped by having two of the same character (neither of which is in his "signature" or most visually interesting costume) and not making any villains. I'll get the set for Iron Fist and Colleen Wing, but IMO this is the least exciting Netflix set so far.

Definitely agree here. I think an all in one Danny could have been easily achieved. I could definitely see that as the box set that does the least well due to that and just the reception of the show. I hope it doesn't affect future Netflix releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Definitely agree here. I think an all in one Danny could have been easily achieved. I could definitely see that as the box set that does the least well due to that and just the reception of the show. I hope it doesn't affect future Netflix releases. 

Personally, I would have skipped suited Danny altogether and made a two-in-one green hoodie and branded chest version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 11:46 AM, BuffaloDelorean said:

Personally, I would have skipped suited Danny altogether and made a two-in-one green hoodie and branded chest version.

 

If we're skipping Danny's suited version, I'd prefer an Iron Fist 'mate:

photo-classic-costume-cameo-in-iron-fist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

 

If we're skipping Danny's suited version, I'd prefer an Iron Fist 'mate:

photo-classic-costume-cameo-in-iron-fist

My ideal lineup for this box set would have been hoodie/chest Danny, Colleen, Gao, and Orson Randall. There probably wasn't reference material for Orson, though, so I'm just hoping Danny will get a similar costume eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

My ideal lineup for this box set would have been hoodie/chest Danny, Colleen, Gao, and Orson Randall. There probably wasn't reference material for Orson, though, so I'm just hoping Danny will get a similar costume eventually.

This. I keep forgetting who the fourth (thunderer) mate is and it takes me 5 minutes of thinking to even remember. Orson was in the show for what feels like 5 seconds but it still left more of an impact on me than the thunderer and two Dannys was completely redundant. Even if you wanted a suited Danny all you would've needed to do was have an extra chestblock and arms but I guess accessories were just more expensive to produce than a copy mate. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very little of that whole series made a strong impression on me. Poor writing... or at least poor plotting.

Spoiler

If Coleen's Dojo was Hand sponsored, and the Hand has infiltrated everywhere and has tons of capitol, why did Coleen have to cage fight for money? Aside from showing she could kick ass, it made no sense. Goa appeared to be Nobu's rival in Daredevil season one, and Fisk was more afraid of her than Nobu. Then she comes back as just another Hand flunky, perhaps lower on the overall hierarchy than Nobu... because... why? And what? DD, Frank and Elektra killed all the Ninjas at the end of DD season 2 so they only had hired thugs left? You got a guy whose is supposedly a deadly martial artist, but he only fights other martial artists in... four episodes?
And if you could explain Joy's character arc to me in a way that makes sense, more power to you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mirymate said:

Very little of that whole series made a strong impression on me. Poor writing... or at least poor plotting.

  Hide contents

If Coleen's Dojo was Hand sponsored, and the Hand has infiltrated everywhere and has tons of capitol, why did Coleen have to cage fight for money? Aside from showing she could kick ass, it made no sense. Goa appeared to be Nobu's rival in Daredevil season one, and Fisk was more afraid of her than Nobu. Then she comes back as just another Hand flunky, perhaps lower on the overall hierarchy than Nobu... because... why? And what? DD, Frank and Elektra killed all the Ninjas at the end of DD season 2 so they only had hired thugs left? You got a guy whose is supposedly a deadly martial artist, but he only fights other martial artists in... four episodes?
And if you could explain Joy's character arc to me in a way that makes sense, more power to you. 

Blame Scott Buck.. apparently he already ruined the inhuman show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reviewing the last two pages... I feel like I'm on Zach's side of this one, haha.

Do I like new characters? Sure. Would I probably have preferred a Madame Gao minimated over a second Danny Rand? Probably. Will my world keep spinning without her? Absolutely. Just as it would have kept spinning had I never got Raza, Darcy, Selvig, Mariah Dillard, At least one Happy Hogan, A handful of Pepper Pottses, and any number of generically armored MCU Agents, Henchmen, Officers and Thugs. There's even one Natalie Romanova and about 10 Tony Starks I probably could have done without to be perfectly honest.

MCU Civilians (or non-super villains on the evil side) & Army Builders... are what you fill in a set with, not build one around. The idea of an MCU Secondary Villain boxed set is laughable. If Gao or Shades make it into a Season 2 boxed set down the road... I'll say, "Alright" and be okay with it... I guarantee you I won't be excited about it. I don't even remember who Nobu is. I feel like the only thing Sigourney Weaver has going for her at this exact moment is being Sigourney Weaver, which makes me assume she'll be prominent... but as a non-comic character, I could care less without more information. In any case, there's some Ellen Ripley minimates over in the Alien line I assume would provide a good jumping off point for a quick custom.

As non-comic characters, I could ultimately care less about most of these minimates... I think is what I'm driving at. Now I KNOW... I don't speak for everyone. But I'm personally much happier with the comic tie-in wave then I would be with rounding out the Netflix legion of non-super villains.

I get when people complain about a lack of detail where detail could arguably help a minimate. There's always been some give and take in this line. There have always been "MAXIMUM EFFORT!" waves with tons of new tooling and sculpts and pieces, balanced by, "WHAT CAN WE RE-USE!?" waves that use minimal new tooling and stretch the boundries of creative use of existing parts and minimal tampos. I got used to that years ago... I'd think most of you would have to. Be happy when a character gets released. If the design doesn't suit your liking, wait out the next one and hope it's better. In a line that has two Thunderbird minimates, one god awful, one completely beautiful, anything can happen. I never dreamed after that first Thunderbird, the world would bless me with that update, but it did, and I thank it. Do you think I, as an X-Men fan, was happy with THIS Cable for all the years he was the only Cable?

fig0072flg.jpg

No. But I waited, and eventually time brought me a new Cable. And ALL of the minimates in this new wave are WAY better than the first Thunderbird, or that Cable. I personally like that we're getting modern Power Man & Iron Fist. I LOVE that we're getting 616 Jessica & Purple Man. I don't mind the Moon Knight update, I like that his cape appears less clunky than the original. I dislike a clunky minimate. I hate capes that make minimates fall over. The original Moon Knight had these problems. Burying this one in armor may have re-created them. I'm a little "Eh" on another Daredevil and Punisher, but whatever, they fit the theme well. Overall, I'd much rather have this wave than more Netflix minimates.

BUT to each his own? *Shrug*

Edited by Gillbob316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not arguing with you @Gillbob316, but there is a factor here that does not apply as cleanly to MCU stuff as it does to the MU.
Zach will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong because my information is certainly from waaaaay back when we were trying to figure out why the couldn't just slip the blue Loki, Fandral and Hogun into another regular MU wave. We were told then that each movie is considered it's own license entity, with it's own limited number of slots and time frame to get the product to the shelves. And as a by product, no real second bite at the apple if it didn't come together. Hence, MCU SHIELD Agents, Lightinged up Thor and Khaki suit Banner remain unreleased as well. I do not know if the Netflix shows are treated any different from the regular Marvel movie stuff, say if it's one master license covering the whole of it all for whoever long it runs. I suspect each show getting a separate boxed set per season is our answer.
So the argument then becomes, if space is limited who gets the space? Sometimes that's easier to see, sometimes it's messy and you make your best guess. And sometimes we disagree with those choices. (Davros over 2nd Danny would have been my call. But then I'm never invited to those meetings.) And I think that's were some of the disagreement lies on this issue.

although I would happily attend any of those meetings you'd care to include me in. "Consulting Comics Geek"... not quite the same ring as "Consulting Detective" but that one's taken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Not arguing with you @Gillbob316, but there is a factor here that does not apply as cleanly to MCU stuff as it does to the MU.
Zach will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong because my information is certainly from waaaaay back when we were trying to figure out why the couldn't just slip the blue Loki, Fandral and Hogun into another regular MU wave. We were told then that each movie is considered it's own license entity, with it's own limited number of slots and time frame to get the product to the shelves. And as a by product, no real second bite at the apple if it didn't come together. Hence, MCU SHIELD Agents, Lightinged up Thor and Khaki suit Banner remain unreleased as well. I do not know if the Netflix shows are treated any different from the regular Marvel movie stuff, say if it's one master license covering the whole of it all for whoever long it runs. I suspect each show getting a separate boxed set per season is our answer.
So the argument then becomes, if space is limited who gets the space? Sometimes that's easier to see, sometimes it's messy and you make your best guess. And sometimes we disagree with those choices. (Davros over 2nd Danny would have been my call. But then I'm never invited to those meetings.) And I think that's were some of the disagreement lies on this issue.

although I would happily attend any of those meetings you'd care to include me in. "Consulting Comics Geek"... not quite the same ring as "Consulting Detective" but that one's taken. 

Wait whats this about blue loki, shield agents and khaki Banner? I've seen the others you mentioned but I've never heard of these

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FightTheDead118 said:

Wait whats this about blue loki, shield agents and khaki Banner? I've seen the others you mentioned but I've never heard of these

Among the unused designs for Thor was a Loki showing his Frost Giant heritage like the scene from the movie. Unlike Thor, Fandral and Hogun, I have not seen control art for it, and it may be simply a long ago forum legend. But it would have been cool looking I'm sure. As to Khaki Banner... If you'll recall for Iron Man 2, Captain America: the First Avenger and Thor DST did army builder cases, each case came with at least one chase figure, like Justin Hammer, that was one packed one per case. They did one full of Ultrons for Avengers 2. They had planned one for the first Avengers movie full of different generic SHIELD agent, and one Bruce Banner sporting his movie look chase figure.  Sales for weren't quite what they wanted to see, so the Avengers case was scrapped. I don't know if control art exists for these either.

 

Speaking of which... did you guys stop asking for control art while I was away? Haven't scene any since I got back

Edited by Mirymate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the JJ set thanks to Onyx. So many jackets and extra arms and it just makes me wonder even more why the Iron Fist set couldn't have a Danny with the suit and tie look and bare chest and arms look in one figure. Jessica, Trish, Luke, and Killgrave all have alternate arms 3 of them have jackets. There's a TV, Cell phones, a Chinese box and chopsticks, etc...

@DSTZach is the extra accessories in Jessica Jones why the Iron Fist accessories have not been as prominent? Is it a balancing of budget? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't know what the final accessories will be, but hope to have a tray shot soon.

And it's possible that set went over budget, so we're scaling back here, but also, those characters had removable jackets, with shirts underneath, that was the look for all of them. So alternate arms made sense. I don't know if we could have "fudged" the color of Iron Fist's pants in the martial arts look, but probably not -- we have to be accurate. So new pants, new arms, new facial expression, new hand...that's a lot of parts. And it's not like you can show them all off in the small windows. There may not have been a fourth character they thought exciting enough, or we had reference for at the time. I'm sure a fourth character was considered.

Edited by DSTZach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DSTZach thanks for the response. If this set comes with some cool accessories too it'll definitely help. An iPod would be killer. I was looking through my fodder and found some awesome flashlight accessories that were awesome. Sometimes the accessories are the deciding factor that gets me to buy 2 or so of a set. (I'm lookin at you inventor Don and fanboy Leo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 episodes into The Defenders and I hope we get the outfit for Elektra but if there isn't a Defenders box I guess the chances are slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since people started posting spoilers for Defenders on Friday, I finally started Iron Fist.

I'm 9 or 10 episodes in, and I really enjoy it. I know everyone has differing opinions, but I don't see any of the problems everyone has been b*tching about, and I'll admit a project's shortcomings regardless of how much I like it.

The earlier "less dynamic" fight scenes I saw as him being so much more experienced than his opponents, that he was able to beat them without effort. Some of the later fight scenes are pretty awesome.

 

Except for this fight with Bakuto where Ramón Rodríguez's stunt double's face is clearly seen in half the shots.

:lol: 

I also don't think Finn is charmless or whiny. I've only ever seen him in Game of Thrones, but I think his acting is way better here than there (I have a good ear, and his American accent is so well done to me, it makes his natural British sound fake - except one line in the last episode I watched or the one before it, he slipped up on a word, and it bled through, lol).

Same with Jessica Henwick - I never disliked her (or him, to be fair) in GoT, and her role in Force Awakens wasn't big enough to leave an impression, but d@mnit, if I'm not in love with Colleen. :wub:

David Wenham gets a little hammy at times, but it's nowhere near as eye-rolling or laughable as Erik LaRay Harvey (Diamondback) in Luke Cage.

Maybe the last 3 or 4 episodes are hot garbage, but so far I've really liked what I've seen. It's the weakest of the four, but the bad parts are no worse than the bad parts of the other three (seriously, the last 4 episodes of Luke Cage were AWFUL; and I've been less bored than I was in some episodes of Jessica Jones or Daredevil).

I definitely wish we were getting Gao instead of suited Danny. Coulda done a second "Rand Enterprises" set with suited Danny and the Meachums.

I also think it's funny that everyone agreed that 13 episodes was too many, and that all the (at least first 3) shows were great in 8 or 9, but now everyone is complaining that Defenders is "only" 8 episodes. Nerds will never be happy. :rolleyes:

Edited by TENIME_art

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...