UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Roccothegreat

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Heinous said:

Would you say the same thing about Ironman or captain America? 

Apples and oranges and bananas but, yeah, I would.

Iron Man is about the suit. Tony spent a huge chunk of the movie developing something that resembled what we saw in current comics.

Captain America is about the creation of a symbol. He went through a couple iterations before settling on something to wear in his final act.

Iron Fist is a legacy. The costume was around long before Danny assumed the role and abandoned it to go back to NYC. If Iron Man or Captain America were about Tony or Steve abandoning their respective roles, it wouldn't make sense to keep them in the suits. 

Why does Danny wear a mask in the comics? Is it to inspire fear? To protect his identity? Is it simply tradition? I'm all for exploring that on TV but I'm not sure The Defenders is the venue for it, especially given the way Iron Fist ended. 

He doesn't necessarily need THE costume, but I think he should have some kind of signature look.  Some of the promotional materials show him wearing a green hoodie partially unzipped to reveal the tattoo.  I think that works.

I'm sure Danny Rand will get a more signature costume, once he decides to accept the Iron Fist legacy. The Orson Randall costume we saw was pretty comic accurate, and I'd guess we'll get a variation on that for Danny when the time comes. It's just that his current plotline seems to be about the rejection and reclamation of the Iron Fist identity, so we have to wait for the reclamation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Oh, I get that it's your personal preference, I'm just saying that Heroic Age Jessica Jones is a short-lived look that's a fairly easy QC.

And [Series 75] IS the Defenders assortment. There is no TV Defenders assortment, or TV Defenders box set -- if you want to assemble the TV Defenders, three box sets are already available -- and readily available, as you said -- and the fourth is coming soon. The new season's costumes are really not that different from what we've done.

So much for this being another shot at a decent Sigourney Weaver likeness.

Welo that sucks but i get it, would've been nice to get Gao and weavers character, and a better Jessica ( the first one is horrible, thats not just me right?) and maybe Danny in the green hoodie and Luke in his yellow shirt, but at the very least skipping over this gives me some hope that Dst will skip over some of the unnecessary redos for Infinity War

Edited by FightTheDead118

Gao and Alexandra would have been nice, but this doesn't really bother me. It makes the sets for the individual series seem more essential, I was considering passing on the Iron Fist set because I was only really interested in shirtless Danny and Colleen, but I'll definitely get it now.

Hopefully Gao shows up in Iron Fist season 2 or something.

6 hours ago, stack32 said:

Well, that makes me dislike 75 just a little bit more.

Why would anybody dislike Series 75? Honestly curious. Two new characters, one of them classic; one highly requested (by Kostis) re-do, and five modern versions of characters who have not had updated non-classic looks in a while.

Well, since you asked...

I have zero problem with the selection of characters, I just dislike the results. I loathe that lame, unimaginative Bruce Lee ripoff Iron Fist costume. Cage and Daredevil have only slightly better bad costumes. I think Jessica Jones isn't as good as the Netflix version though I understand taking a different approach to differentiate the two. I like Purple Man well enough, he's just not that exciting and I'll probably end up putting him in a suit and tie instead. Quake is only okay, the gauntlet reuse takes away the one point of interest I have in the design and I'm really not that enamored with the BAF concept to begin with. I probably wanted this Moon Knight as much as anyone besides Kostis but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the results. The hood looks bad, the way it comes together with the cape makes it seem like both parts are re-purposed from other figures even though they're new to this one, I still think the figures needs at least sculpted chest armor to capture the look correctly, and he needs a baton and throwing moons instead of a staff (though I suppose there may be more accessories than we've seen or they could change). It's an example of "good enough" design which I'm afraid might be becoming a trend. Punisher is an excellent minimate that I'll be happy to add to my collection. So out of nine figures there's one I really like, one I'm disappointed in but will end up getting (no choice since he's packed with the one I really like), two that are are slight positives (and one being a BAF makes it less attractive), one I don't care about either way, and four that I dislike to varying degrees. That equals disappointment.

Another thing would be that if this is an example of DST treating movie/TV and comic characters as interchangeable, well, I really dislike that idea because it's exactly the opposite of how I feel about collecting. I think that's true of the vast majority of collectors, maybe the rest of the market thinks differently. Now, if Netflix Defenders just aren't selling as well as hoped and 75 is a replacement that's a different story.

@stack32 I think Zach said in another post that the Defenders didn't offer enough "new" to warrant another boxed set. Sure there are still a few missing villains like Goa, and whoever Sigorney Weaver is... but then most folks wouldn't buy it without the heroes, the heroes are still wearing what they've worn previously. Let's say they split the heroes between two sets and picked up the bad girls and whoever else is left in the last two slots... then there's be complaints about asking us to pay for the same characters twice so close together.

So they took the "comics tie in" idea they have done before, comics versions of the main characters. They did it with Iron Man, Cap, and Thor at times so there's precedent. So, no, I get why there's a comics wave to tie into the Defenders whether or not there's new MCU product for it.

That said... I agree about Luke and Cage's new designs. It's not DST's fault, they're actually good representations of designs that just leave me cold. And the new Moon Knight hood does look... odd. Not going to say it sucks yet, could just be poorly photographed... every time... by different photographers... but we've seen stuff at shows that looked iffy online that turned out fine in hand.
Not disappointed by 75... but I guess I'd built it up too much in my head after 50.  :Dunno:

It sounds like we don't need a Defenders 4-pack as much as we'd like a general villains assortment. I'm not sure how that would even be branded since we're probably talking about five different licenses but if not, these could be the Marvel Netflix Bad Guys:

Madame Gao

Nobu

Shades

Weaver's character

This is kinda like saying, "Well, we're skipping Infinity War since most of the characters wear pretty much what you've seen so, sorry, no Thanos for you."

Comic and TV are not interchangeable, we have simply made all of the main TV characters in these looks already. So why not deliver more of the sweet, sweet 616 that fans love? Sorry some do not like it.

Sales on the Netflix box sets could be better. Creating a single box set that allows everyone to continue to skip the previous box sets is not a good idea. Plus, a box set would not have any room for villains anyway.

And a villain box set is a non-starter, especially these villains. Comparing any of the Netflix villains to Thanos is preposterous on numerous levels. Four civilians, most of whom are fairly easy QCs, most of them made up for the shows, some of which were not exactly well-reviewed? Not really a sales dynamo.

Hopefully Defenders spikes sales of the Netflix sets. Iron Fist may hit soon, before August ends.

Surprised and disappointed there won't be a Defenders set. I was really looking forward to getting a new Elektra, Weaver's character and whatever else interesting the series will bring. 

Hopefully this isn't the end of the Netflix mates. I want a set for Punisher and Daredevil season 3. If the sales of previous sets haven't been great I don't see the coma-inducing Iron Fist set doing well at all (especilly considering the series wasn't good either).

1 hour ago, fwoosheyman said:

Surprised and disappointed there won't be a Defenders set. I was really looking forward to getting a new Elektra, Weaver's character and whatever else interesting the series will bring. 

Not having seen it yet, I'm certainly hoping the villain is interesting as a character, because so far she doesn't seem particularly interesting visually. Elektra may work as a QC, maybe with an unmasked Elektra head, a comic Elektra or even a Red Dress Six, and Colleen Wing's hair.

Hopefully this isn't the end of the Netflix mates. I want a set for Punisher and Daredevil season 3. If the sales of previous sets haven't been great I don't see the coma-inducing Iron Fist set doing well at all (especilly considering the series wasn't good either).

I don't know what our plans are specifically, but I'm fairly certain those are happening. Hopefully Punisher and Daredevil 3 are great!

And while I'm still one episode away from finishing Iron Fist (not particularly motivated), I'm not sure how we could have made that set more exciting. The Bride of Nine Spiders is barely in it, and people's suggestions of Madame Gao, Beardy McHand (I forget his name) or ANY of the Meachum Family doesn't exactly get me all hot and bothered. But then, Colleen Wing is all the excitement I need!

Edited by DSTZach

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

Not having seen it yet, I'm certainly hoping the villain is interesting as a character, because so far she doesn't seem particularly interesting visually. Elektra may work as a QC, maybe with an unmasked Elektra head, a comic Elektra or even a Red Dress Six, and Colleen Wing's hair.

I don't know what our plans are specifically, but I'm fairly certain those are happening. Hopefully Punisher and Daredevil 3 are great!

And while I'm still one episode away from finishing Iron Fist (not particularly motivated), I'm not sure how we could have made that set more exciting. The Bride of Nine Spiders is barely in it, and people's suggestions of Madame Gao, Beardy McHand (I forget his name) or ANY of the Meachum Family doesn't exactly get me all hot and bothered. But then, Colleen Wing is all the excitement I need!

I just don't know how Thunderer who was in the show for maybe 5 minutes was chosen over Gao who spanned like 2-3 seasons of Netflix entertainment. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider

Better visual, @The Scarlet Spider, Goa is sort of an in-action figure.
One thing that I don't like is Defenders looks to be Iron Fist 1.5 complete with a lots and lots of not ninja hand. How do you make a series about one of Marvel's premier martial artist and have him fight mostly guys in suits with guns calling themselves "the Hand"? The one series where fighting ninjas would be appropriate... and you whiffle ball it? Ninjas... with swords and bows and stuff, and hoods and such... or stop calling yourself the Hand. You wanna be white guys with black business suits, sunglasses and guns? Call yourself the Maggia. You wanna be the Hand? NINJAS!!!!! 

48 minutes ago, Mirymate said:

Better visual, @The Scarlet Spider, Goa is sort of an in-action figure.
One thing that I don't like is Defenders looks to be Iron Fist 1.5 complete with a lots and lots of not ninja hand. How do you make a series about one of Marvel's premier martial artist and have him fight mostly guys in suits with guns calling themselves "the Hand"? The one series where fighting ninjas would be appropriate... and you whiffle ball it? Ninjas... with swords and bows and stuff, and hoods and such... or stop calling yourself the Hand. You wanna be white guys with black business suits, sunglasses and guns? Call yourself the Maggia. You wanna be the Hand? NINJAS!!!!! 

I'd agree with you if she hadn't Tai Chi'd the shit outta someone in the show when the thunderer didn't have any action scenes. 

I guess he looks like he'd do more stuff than madame Gao and have a more striking appearance but still. 

Edited by The Scarlet Spider