UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Roccothegreat

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i just finished the series and

lei-kung appears for about 4-5 minutes in the entire series, so thats pretty much another wasted figure, the other two figures probably should have been Gao for sure, she was one of the best parts of the entire series, and Ward, I despised him in the beginning but by the end his character began to develop pretty good, and really they could have even packed spare parts to make Harold too, the only thing they'd really need is a second torso and head+hair. Danny seriously only needed one figure and really neither of these were really the right choice, throughout the entire series he never even did anything of note in either of the outfits the mates have, the suit was just during Rand business scenes obviously plus one early on fight scene, and the tattoo look was only during a couple meditation and after-fight scenes, he should've had the black hoodie look that he had for 70% percent of the action scenes, with the tattooed chest being an alternate look instead of the entire figure. Plus Coleen had that outfit for one scene, but I understand it was picked for comic accuracy

overall the set really just gets more disappointing the more you think about it

Edited by FightTheDead118

23 minutes ago, suicidewatch said:

Is Danny going to come with his magic first generation iPod that still somehow works after 15 years? 

I know people that have a first gen that still works, they built those first ones to last then realized that's bad business 

I'm still in Ep.5, but after reading some spoilers and whatnot, the line-up becomes more and more dissapointing by the second. Considering all the Alt-Looks the other Netflix sets came with, it'd be really easy to give us mre characters are Alts. Here's how I'd do it:

-Danny in his Hoodie: Extra pieces include a bare torso/arms, a pair of white shoes, the "iron fist" & a black jacket piece, with a white torso and tie, like DD/Murdock. So now you have three figs in the place of one. If the jacket/torso/tie/shoes combo is too much, just go the Luke Cage-esque route and give us the hoodie & bare chest combo. Or give us the suit as the default look and add the extra torso/arms combo, just like LC. Really, there were many options for a 2-in-1 Danny Rand.

-Coleen Wing: Same as in the set, really. I'd have preffered the green jacket/sword harness look, but this is more comic accurate, so, eh.

-Ward Meachum: Extra parts include a Harold Meachum head.

-Madame Gao or Joy Meachum. There are other characters that appear later down the line, but eh, I figured I'd go with the major characters. Hell, even Danny in his K'un-Lun Robe would've been great as the "costumed" figure of the set.

Considering Danny wore a black suit as well, it'd b much easier for it to be an Alt-Look for his hoodie look, instead of a whole new fig. And considering the Meachums were the main antagonists and part of the supporting cast, it sucks we're not getting them, but instead two Dannys, when he could've just had Alt-Parts. I can understand not getting some of the characters that appear Post Ep.6 or so, but these were all major players that were ommited. I found the LC 4-Pack kinda dissapointing as well, for not giving us Shades or Diamondback, and instead Mariah, but this selection is much worse.

I'm not pretending to know the ins and outs, or any restrictions placed by Marvel, but this 4-Pack's selection is very poor, at least IMHO. Considering how good the DD & JJ sets are, this is quite a bummer. But hey, maybe the extras will be interesting.

I've just started episode eight (and staying from spoilers), and I don't think the selection is that bad. The Meachums are fairly important, but I don't mind that they're not being included. My only real issue with the set is the two Dannys. My ideal line up would be:

-Hoodie Danny/shirtless Iron Fist: The hoodie look is (so far) much more significant than the suit. An alternate torso, arms, hood, and the Iron Fist would be enough.

-Colleen Wing: Her "Daughter of the Dragon" look is a bit scene-specific (like Claire and Trish before her), but it's by far her most visually interesting costume.

-the teacher (I don't remember his name): This was a good choice, IMO. He has an important role in the show, but he also represents the flashback sequences of the show.

-Madame Gao: She's a pretty major antagonist, and this is the third series she's been in.

For what it's worth, the only Netflix sets that I think have had ideal selection are the Daredevil sets. The Jessica Jones set was better, but making Luke instead of Will seemed kind of redundant with him getting his own series. For Luke Cage, I understand if there wasn't reference for Diamondback, but Shades would have been more interesting than Mariah.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

The Meachums are the Karen Page/Foggy Nelson/Fisk of the show, so it's irking that we're getting none of them. Especially when Ward/Harold could have been a 2-in-1 fig, taking the place of Suited Danny. Wing has to be in the set, same as Danny, so the choices of DST are sound in that regard, they just needed to give us Hoodie Rand with an extra torso. As for the 4th fig, it should've been Madame Gao, considering she's been in three seasons thus far. Hell, Hogarth would've made sense too.

As for Lei-Kung (and latter spoilers)...

Spoiler

I read that he's in the series for about 3 minutes, so this is a wasted slot IMO. Ideally the spot should've gone to Davos, but considering how late he appears, I wouldn't mind getting Robed Rand. Lei-Kung isn't the worse choice, and I imagine they included him because he had bright colours and they couldn't realistically add a 3rd Danny, but it's still dissapointing, considering all the stuff we're missing.

Jessica Jones IMO had a fine selection. It had the protagonist, the antagonist and 2/3 supporting cast members. I agree Luke is kinda redundant now, but back then, you'd have been omitting a very big player of the show by not adding him. Will got the Stick/Karen treatment, but with a Second season confirmed, I imagine he'll get a fig, ideally in some sort of "costume".

Not everything comes out great, but this set especially just isn't up to par. I mean, this is like making the Luke Cage 4-pack, but doing it this way: Suited Luke from Pops' funeral, "Power-Man" Luke (no tracksuit parts), Misty Knight, and Pops instead of Cottonmouth. And that'd be dissapointing as well.

I mean, sure, we don't have a Weasly or Leland from DD, but these were minor characters. Now we're missing the major parts of the series' supporting cast, and pretty much the main villain. 

Edited by Kostisfire

I see what you mean with the Meachums, but if we were going to get any of them, I'd want all of them, which would use too many slots. I agree that Harold and Ward could share a body, but DST has seemed hesitant to do that sort of thing (outside of Wave 60, Rogers/Fury Jr. and arguably Shepard from ME).

I think Lei-Kung is essential because the set (IMO) needs something to represent K'un-Lun, and as you said, another Danny wouldn't have worked. The character you mentioned would have probably worked too, but he's likely in the same boat as Diamondback, Silver Samurai, Kurse, etc.

I do think the JJ selection was good, but DST knew they'd be making Luke for his own series, and Will has at least as prominent a role in the series. I don't know, maybe I'm just biased because I really liked Will.

I agree with you on the Iron Fist selection, but for what it's worth, Danny appears shirtless and in a suit more than Luke did.

One other thing that bothers me about this set is that, unless Lei-Kung shows up again in a different role, there aren't any villains.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

I was about to say the same thing buffalo. I don't like not having any bad guys. Harold and Ward sharing a body would have been an easy way to get me to buy 2 box sets because I like being able to have them each have their own body. Heck same goes for Danny, I'm planning on buying 2 Luke Cage packs for the alternate look and another DD1 pack. It would have sent it over the top if they included Colleen's practice sword because that's a cool accessory and would have bolstered the reason to buy another pack in my mind. Alas it wasn't meant to be though. 

If I were DST I think I'd stop including all the extra parts for a while just to reset expectations. People keep acting like it's completely reasonable to expect 5+ characters worth of minimate parts in a 4-pack. That said, I probably could pass on suit Danny for one of the villains, preferably Madame Gao.

24 minutes ago, stack32 said:

If I were DST I think I'd stop including all the extra parts for a while just to reset expectations. People keep acting like it's completely reasonable to expect 5+ characters worth of minimate parts in a 4-pack. That said, I probably could pass on suit Danny for one of the villains, preferably Madame Gao.

Extra parts are part of the reason people like myself buy multiples and therefore can increase sales. I don't think asking for a set of different arms and a chest block and asking them to paint a face different is really asking all that much. I mean this pack is like 100% parts reuse, no?

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Extra parts are part of the reason people like myself buy multiples and therefore can increase sales. I don't think asking for a set of different arms and a chest block and asking them to paint a face different is really asking all that much. I mean this pack is like 100% parts reuse, no?

To be fair other than daredevils masks and s2 daredevils chain and duct tape hands, and i think elektras hairpiece, every thing else in the defenders box sets have parts reuses

49 minutes ago, FightTheDead118 said:

To be fair other than daredevils masks and s2 daredevils chain and duct tape hands, and i think elektras hairpiece, every thing else in the defenders box sets have parts reuses

Kinda reinforces my point. If a box set with the 2 in 1 characters has parts that weren't reuse I see no reason why a set that's all parts reuse couldn't have a 2 in 1. Especially since the box sets are more expensive than 2 two-packs would be. 

Not sure how much access we get to scripts/character imagery. There are things we don't know for a single movie, let alone a 13-episode series. We work with what we have, and in this case it may be that some guesswork was the trade-off for trying to be at least reasonably timely with a set. 

So a couple days ago, the @Minimates twitter posted a picture of Deborah Ann Woll (Karen) with a Season 2 set. The only reply was from Deborah asking for the account to DM her. I just thought this was an odd occurrence.