UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Roccothegreat

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasbro stated at their panel at SDCC they plan on releasing merchandise for the Netflix shows. They didn't say what exactly they are making, but they are definitely going to pursue it.

I look forward to finding out what Chuck's new excuse is.

If the motion of the ocean isn't getting through to Chuck, is us asking a question really going to make a difference? If so, I'll submit one, but I would think that the writing on the wall would carry more weight.

When I joined Netflix they sent me a survey asking me why, and I gave a one-word answer. Daredevil. So they know how I feel, short of pre-ordering product that doesn't exist yet or creating a Kickstarter, I don't know what else I can do to get through to Chuck.

If the motion of the ocean isn't getting through to Chuck, is us asking a question really going to make a difference? If so, I'll submit one, but I would think that the writing on the wall would carry more weight.

When I joined Netflix they sent me a survey asking me why, and I gave a one-word answer. Daredevil. So they know how I feel, short of pre-ordering product that doesn't exist yet or creating a Kickstarter, I don't know what else I can do to get through to Chuck.

plus the fact we are directing our interest to the MARKETING SUPERVISOR, hey there is a Minimate Market for DD and the Netflix shows

plus the fact we are directing our interest to the MARKETING SUPERVISOR, hey there is a Minimate Market for DD and the Netflix shows

Yeah, but marketing can only market stuff that's made. :P

And let's not forget; we are not the market. The retailers we buy from are.

Daredevil is a longer term investment than Marvel films (like Ant-Man) but I'm not sure it's any more expensive. I imagine the cost is akin to each of the three animated series DST just paid a bundle to offer as a Walgreens exclusive. Maybe if there was a retailer with a toy buyer who's a big Daredevil fan, it'd be less of a risk for DST.

Barnes & Noble just got the Gotham SDCC exclusive. Maybe they'd be interested in offering DD.

BAM! might want to counter B&N's Minimates exclusive with a Daredevil one of their own.

For what it's worth, every time I walk into Hot Topic with my daughter, I suggest Minimates as a brand they should look into. They're already selling more DD t-shirts.

All that said, I'm a little concerned that the best way to get some of the properties we want are to offer them as retailer exclusives. Marvel's cartoons makes perfect sense for a retailer like Walgreens that wants an exclusive line of Minimates but also happens to emcompass most of Marvel's most popular characters. I suppose CVS and Rite-Aid could counter with Fox Marvel assortments of X-Men and Fantastic Four if they wanted to.

Personally I'd just as soon see a Daredevil assortment offered to comic shops through Previews.

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions here. It's not like Chuck folded his arms and said "we will NEVER do Minimates for those Netflix shows!" Now that Daredevil has been established as a hit, I'm sure they will revisit the decision. At least give the man a chance to answer the question again before deciding what his answer will be.

I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I'm responding more to his comment about the shows being difficult to pursue because of the way they are released, that says to me that there is a lack of faith in the Netflix shows as a whole more than "it's something we might look at one day." It seemed to say more about the concept as a whole. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

The comment did seem dismissive. In my experience it's all about the metrics. If anything deviates from the established way of measuring success, some execs shut down.

Obviously TV ratings are a long-standing way of figuring out if enough potential consumers are interested in the brand. It gives manufacturers a number. Without that number, it's a bigger risk for licensees.

Just because a show gets a second season doesn't mean it's attracting a lot of viewers. One network's flop could be another network's hit. You could also make product based on one of the highest-rated shows on TV (Big Bang Theory) and find out that huge ratings don't always translate into huge sales.

Clearly DST is taking the safest approach, letting other licensees take the first steps into offering product based on a show that gets dumped onto viewers all at once to watch at their leisure. There's really no other model just like it so it's a little scary. I get that.

What I don't get is the lack of faith in the Daredevil brand.

Still no follow-up letters to Chuck...

the only thing i was/am addressing is this comment, when i say why should we need to send "follow-up " letters to Chuck when the Marketing supervisor, is aware that this market(us) are interested in them, dont zach and chuck ever talk?, If not as ive said before seems like a missed opportunity, for free marketing input that other companies PAY focus groups for. You've got a captive audience here just looking to help you out, it seems Steve Anne has the right Idea, he came here asked us what we would like to see in the line and Boom. seems like a no brainer.

Edited by Mattallica

Mattalica, I don't know what other marketing supervisors do -- they seem to be more involved in line planning at some companies -- but my job is not to gauge the market, it's to market existing or upcoming product, and the company itself, to customers. Fan relations, press relations, promotion, advertising and rambling late-night forum posts are all subsets of that.

I may occasionally get asked how fans feel about a license, but Chuck knows it's a critically acclaimed show, and the only thing in question is general public awareness of the show in particular and DD in general, as well as viewer data we do not have. He knows the numbers and the business better than most, and has seen toy lines (and Minimates sublines) live and die, both ours and other companies'. He's kept this brand alive for 12 years, so I trust his expertise, even though few here seem to.

I only suggested the follow-up because everyone was reading into his "dismissive" response as being cold and personally motivated and without possibility of alteration. I suggested a follow-up for clarification, that's all. Not to let him know that TWO people want Daredevil Minimates.

I don't know how exactly we finally hooked up with Walgreens, but I'm pretty sure we already had the animated license, and once they committed to a series or two, they were welcome to pick a couple of characters to do, and this is how they chose to choose them. Pretty cool of them. But we would never put it to public vote what license to get.

And we actually are going to be working with Hot Topic, believe it or not. Not on Daredevil, though.

Mattalica, I don't know what other marketing supervisors do -- they seem to be more involved in line planning at some companies -- but my job is not to gauge the market, it's to market existing or upcoming product, and the company itself, to customers. Fan relations, press relations, promotion, advertising and rambling late-night forum posts are all subsets of that.

I may occasionally get asked how fans feel about a license, but Chuck knows it's a critically acclaimed show, and the only thing in question is general public awareness of the show in particular and DD in general, as well as viewer data we do not have. He knows the numbers and the business better than most, and has seen toy lines (and Minimates sublines) live and die, both ours and other companies'. He's kept this brand alive for 12 years, so I trust his expertise, even though few here seem to.

I only suggested the follow-up because everyone was reading into his "dismissive" response as being cold and personally motivated and without possibility of alteration. I suggested a follow-up for clarification, that's all. Not to let him know that TWO people want Daredevil Minimates.

I don't know how exactly we finally hooked up with Walgreens, but I'm pretty sure we already had the animated license, and once they committed to a series or two, they were welcome to pick a couple of characters to do, and this is how they chose to choose them. Pretty cool of them. But we would never put it to public vote what license to get.

And we actually are going to be working with Hot Topic, believe it or not. Not on Daredevil, though.

since this seems to be directed at me, ill respond to it line by line.

"I don't know what other marketing supervisors do -- they seem to be

more involved in line planning at some companies -- but my job is not to

gauge the market, it's to market existing or upcoming product, and the

company itself, to customers. Fan relations, press relations, promotion,

advertising and rambling late-night forum posts are all subsets of that"

So are you saying that you dont have a back and forth kind of relationship with Chuck, where you would say something along the line of "the guys on the Multiverse, (or Fwoosh, or whatever fansite)", are really interested in seeing some products from that Daredevil netflix show" ? if so that seems like a missed opportuity for customer feedback.

"....so I trust his expertise, even though few here seem to"

That doesnt seem accurate or fair, i think most if not all here are Thankful for everything Chuck does and we understand how tough his job must be, we are passionate about the products your company puts out, realistically i think most here that offer their opinions on what is and isnt offered are just trying to help out.sometimes that may come across as overly critical but again i believe it is because we love the line and want to see it flourish.

"...Not to let him know that TWO people want Daredevil Minimates."

Really!? thats how many people here you think want them? Hmmm. Honestly im not super rabid to Have them I liked the show and would most likely buy them if they were made but. i can live without them but there are alot more than two people here that would really like to see these come out.

"I don't know how exactly we finally hooked up with Walgreens, but I'm

pretty sure we already had the animated license, and once they committed

to a series or two, they were welcome to pick a couple of characters to

do, and this is how they chose to choose them. Pretty cool of them. But

we would never put it to public vote what license to get."

Regardless of how you "hooked up " with them after the fact Steve took advantage of the fanbase for some free advertising and input, I think that was/is super smart. I dont think anyone(I certainly didnt) said ,or believes for that matter, that you would ever put anything to a free for all public vote, even the TRU polls have always been for preselected characters. but again from a marketing stand point it seems short-sighted to not at least take the free info we are giving you guys and consider it.

"And we actually are going to be working with Hot Topic, believe it or not....."

Ummm ok, great not sure what this has to do with the other stuff but im all for seeing Minimates in as many stores as possible, they may or may not have something that appeals to me but its good to broaden the brand so Yay.

Edited by Mattallica

And they love blind bags there. I know that we all hate blind bags, but if they can help get 'mates in more stores then they are worth the aggravation. I buy Pops at Hot Topic on occasion, and they are a good retail partner to have because they do like exclusives. On the other hand, their stuff is always marked up (expect the blind bags to be about $2 more than anywhere else), and of course they are always blasting lousy metal. It's not exactly a pleasant shopping experience.