UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Daredevil Netflix (& other show) minimates?

Roccothegreat

Retailers love tie-ins, whether they're feature films, cartoons, or ongoing TV series. Daredevil had none of those when Series 38 hit. I don't recall Shadowland receiving much critical acclaim, unlike the Netflix show.

And let's face it; Series 38 only had three Daredevil characters in it and one of those was nothing new. Offering an assortment of characters who appear on the show in a series that can be timed to be released when the second season hits – just like DST does with The Walking Dead – might not be a terrible idea.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said I would stay out of this thread, but there's a lot of talk about what DST can or can't or could or couldn't do.

We aren't really a "bandwagon" company, but seeing that a license has a proven merchandise sales history certainly helps, recent or otherwise. We look at the data we have.

But getting a license for just one box set (or even just Minimates) is not economically feasible, due to the amount of money a license costs, and how much money we can put towards that per Minimate. For instance, we're making more than just one boxset for Ant-Man, we're also making a con exclusive set, a Select figure and a Disney Store exclusive Select figure. So it's a much larger conversation, a much larger financial (and developmental) commitment, and release dates are a much bigger factor.

Edited by DSTZach

Retailers love tie-ins, whether they're feature films, cartoons, or ongoing TV series. Daredevil had none of those when Series 38 hit. I don't recall Shadowland receiving much critical acclaim, unlike the Netflix show.

And let's face it; Series 38 only had three Daredevil characters in it and one of those was nothing new. Offering an assortment of characters who appear on the show in a series that can be timed to be released when the second season hits – just like DST does with The Walking Dead – might not be a terrible idea.

I agree 100%, but if Chuck is truly a numbers guy and is making licensing cost decisions, Wave 38 is really the closest thing he has to go by for potential Daredevil numbers. Same with why we have never gotten a dedicated Hulk wave outside of the movie themed Wave 22. If sales of Wave 22 were soft, he probably is using those numbers to decide not to dedicate another entire wave to Hulk. It doesn't help that Hulk also most likely killed the chances of future 'Through the Ages' boxsets...

It doesn't help that Hulk also most likely killed the chances of future 'Through the Ages' boxsets...

No doubt they see it that way, but the fault with that one lies squarely at the feet of DST for including two weak filler figures. Fixit and Maestro had a ton of work to do to make up for the other two. I suppose that's unlikely to end up in any calculations though.

It doesn't help that Hulk also most likely killed the chances of future 'Through the Ages' boxsets...

No doubt they see it that way, but the fault with that one lies squarely at the feet of DST for including two weak filler figures. Fixit and Maestro had a ton of work to do to make up for the other two. I suppose that's unlikely to end up in any calculations though.

That's a pretty subjective calculation.

That's a pretty subjective calculation.
Well I do still think that set had one standout sad sack in Composite Hulk. I really just can't get behind that minimate. That said though, Maestro was goddamn magnificent.

Also one of the showrunners of Daredevil called season 2 straight up "Daredevil vs Punisher." Let's f**king do this. I can't wait for S2.

Edited by Trekker 42

the bandwagon comment sounded less asshole-ish in my head, but going with what zach said regarding antman i don't see how they wouldn't want to take the same approach with Daredevil...but then again I don't understand the business very well, i'm just hoping that something happens that will somehow make it possible for me to have that daredevil minimate

• 2 weeks later...

I'm honestly curious how well Gotham merchandise will sell. If it can, even in some small way, pave way to costumed DC Minimates, that would be amazing. But beyond that I find it difficult to imagine that more people would buy Gotham merchandise over Netflix Daredevil merchandise. I've mostly lost interest in Gotham, but might pick up some of the Minimates if I can use them as good generic civilians. Would definitely get all the Netflix MCU Minimates if they ever become a thing. With more series/seasons coming out, there's still time.

Maybe eventually with enough characters having appeared on screen (and more product opportunities beyond Minimates), DST will find it worthwhile to get the license.

Edited by SlushyFrog