UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First Minimate (If you can remember)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pack0077f_lg.jpg

(Hail Ivan)

Purchased this pack when my local Walmart opened back in 2004; Played with them until they broke. Canada stopped selling Minimates shortly after and that was it until 2009 which is when I purchased the enchantment under the sea BTTF set which is when the addiction started.

You all make me feel like such a noob! My first minimate purchase was The Assault Terminator & Swat officer, but I didn't even know what I had. I didn't dive in to the pandora's box that is minimate collecting until 2013!

Not sure how to classify which ones came first as I got a large selection all the same day. I suppose chronologically it would be X-Men Darktide Box and Marvel Zombies box. Hastings had the Darktide DVD on clearance So I got that for the movie and then decided to go ahead and pick up their clearance Zombies box as well. Then when I stopped at Target the same day they were liquidating the minimates they had at $1 a box so I went ahead and picked up Ultimate Wolverine/Cyclops, Iron Man/Dr. Doom, Unmasked Spider-Man/Dr Octopus, Punisher/Blade, Torch/Mr. Fantastic, Ghost Rider/Daredevil, Spider-Woman/Riot Attack Spider-Man, and Beast/Kitty Pryde.The next day I went back and picked up everything Target had left.

After that I stopped collecting until Wave 34's '90s Cyclops and Jean Grey, when the local Hastings started getting them in again, and haven't stopped since.

I had seen them as singles at ShopKo, but I couldn't justify $6 on one minifigure back then. I liked Spidey and Marvel at the time, but not hugely into figures of them. I had been eyeing up the 5-packs at TRU but wasn't sure.

After finals were done my first semester of college, I headed to TRU and they had a buy 2, get one sale on them, so I picked all three of the 5-packs up. I loved them and looked at Art Asylum's website to find out there were more available!

I was addicted. I believe the Rocky sets are the only ones I do not have at this point (not counting 3-inch and promos).

Pretty sure the first set I had in-hand was the Target Iron Man/ Dr. Doom set. I think I may have bought it after I ordered Spider-Man 2099 and leather jacket Logan online though. I distinctly remember that it was Logan that finally pushed me over the edge though.

Mine was the Carnage / Spidey 2-Pack. I saw it at Suncoast Pictures, and I really loved the block style. I was just getting back into comics after a long hiatus. I told myself I was just going to get that one 2-pack, and no others. Two weeks later I had all of the Minimates released up until that point.

Mine was Spidey 2099 (same as my first superhero comic from that other thread). I think I must have seen him while I was buying Muppets figures at a comic shop, and then grabbed another few packs I liked soon after. I actually came across an old 2004 photo recently that shows my original "display" in the background:

post-1800-0-56156900-1421642772_thumb.jp

It was another couple of years before I really started collecting them and found this place.

I grabbed all of series one at Suncoast after passing them up a few times. I would grab them, look at them and thought they were cool, but never got them. At that time I was collecting Spawn/McFarlane figures and figured that was enough. I gave in one day though and bought all of series one and then picked up the box sets at Toys R Us when they came out. I thought they were so cool back then. Now I look back at them and ask myself why I ever got started with collecting them. They were so basic and cartoony looking, especially Green Goblin. I'm glad I bought them though because they have turned into my favorite toy line ever and that is saying a lot coming from a kid growing up in the 80's. I have collected everything from G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Silverhawks, MASK, MOTU, Voltron, Star Wars, Lego, etc. back then.

My first set was unforgettable, i was around 10 years old and at a target when I saw this set on a clearance aisle for less than 5 dollars

R8FyPnt.jpg

I pleaded with my mom to get me this set and another set that had The Thing and Gajin Wolverine but she said I had to choose.

As a kid who wasnt allowed any GIJoes I chose the toy that would get me the most weapons.

I was instantly amazed and excited by all the accessories and maneuverability of the figures. Over the course of the next year id go to every toy store and comic shop I could find to see what other minimates I could add to my collection

some 9 years later and im still here and have almost every marvel minimate ever produced, my collection is well over 1000 figures and still growing

thank you DST for producing some of the highest quality, diversified and all around best toys that will continue to entertain me for years to come!

Tower Records exclusive Silver Surfer cool.png

You bastard, I actually had a tower records and I never saw this there.

I wasn't even a huge Silver Surfer fan; but it was the first Marvel 'mate, so I bought it because I wanted them to make MORE.

Guess that worked out.

Mine was the first set of 3-inch Star Trek figures. My mother was at Target looking for a present for either my 36th birthday or Christmas and asked if I wanted them. I wasn't into block figures at all (didn't understand the appeal) but liked Trek and thought, "What the heck. They're free." Mom had to chuckle that she was still buying toys for her son.

AR87450LG.jpg

Over 1,701 Minimates later, I'm still hooked. Thanks, Mom.