UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First Minimate (If you can remember)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark Mags and Brown Wolverine, not the best set. Then a few days later I got a loose Juggernaut and Green Goblin with a free unmasked Spider-Man that he would of came with had I bought them in box. Those three are the ones who made me fall in love.

Yellow Daredevil/Elektra. The original Daredevil costume was always one of my favorites, and I remember desperately looking for the Spider-Man Classics variant, but never finding one. Then my dad came home from the comicbook store one day with this set and I was totally hooked.

I actually didn't like minimates, or the idea of them at least. I bought the Ben Reilly/Black Cat pack, because I liked the characters, and loved them instantly. Many more were bought.

I sometimes wonder how many more minimates would be sold if you could just get one into someone's hands.

Easy.

pack0846f_lg.jpg

(Heil Ivan)

I had just started my MvC3 high by looking up stuff about it to find guides and stuff.

Saw an article on Joystiq about these figures, with wave 2 recently shown (and having some of my favorite characters) and wave 1 having been released or was about to.

Drove about 30 minutes to my closest LCS, bought this pack first, and just fell in love.

Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. I only bought them because I loved the characters, and would have bought any collectible of those guys put out.

Not my first, but that's the set that turned me into a collector. I think the first ones I had were C3 sets, either the Superman/Darkseid set or the mini Batmobile. I also had a few Marvel sets from Target, Cap/Absorbing Man and Iron Man/Doc Doom. But it was the DC Direct ones, and Beetle and Booster, that really got me excited. And once I went down that road... well, here we are.

Really, really, really hope that Lego makes Blue Beetle's Bug at some point.

Giant-Sized X-Men 6 pack, found in a random shop on a trip to London. Because it was a 6-pack, it started off my habit pretty rapidly. I think within a couple of weeks I had tracked down the Xavier/Magneto set and Civilian Logan/Juggernaut.

My local comic shop had always carried minimates, but I never thought I would like them as much as I did. After looking at some of the sites (minimate central, minimate database HAIL IVAN), I thought I'd give it a try. I picked up the Angel/Multiple Man pack and was HOOKED!! The next weekend I got the 90's Cyclops/90's Jean Grey and never stopped after that.

Snooping around eBay, I got a loose Magneto.

A few weeks later, I found out that minimates could be found at Toys R Us and picked up the Wolverine/Sabertooth, I was happy.

Those are the first few minimates I got. As you can see, I'm a big X-Men fan.

I don't exactly remember my first set (I spent many years seeing them in stores and going "those aren't for me" then a friend convinced me I could easily make Doctor Who customs and I started buying Minimates for that purpose) The first sets I remember picking up to keep as is were the Ghostbusters 2 Egon and Ray sets.

I was surprised at the amount of detail on the figures and silently cursed myself for passing up all the 1st Ghostbuster Minimates I had seen previously

The first I ever acquired was the DC promo Jon Stewart Green Lantern from SDCC. I have 2 of that one. Next was a BSG Cylon giveaway from SDCC (think I have 2 of that one as well) then nothing until I snagged a couple Iron Man 2 2-packs from TRU (Mark IV / War Machine & Mark V / Whiplash). Didn't get any more after that until the Thundercats showed up (only way to get all the 'cats in the same style/scale) and the rest is 2" history.