UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dioramas and you!

ChazVoltaire

If you fancy trying to make some yourself, I would suggest buying a few bits of foam core/board and experiment.

Its easy to cut and stick together for structures and you can carve into it or stick printed images to it.

As much as I would like a whole street diorama I haven't gotten quite that ambitious yet.

I've just started on this though. A 50's style 'house of the future' for Machine Man and Jocatsa, because the idea of robots in the futuristic 1950's suburbia amused me.

post-3031-0-76592200-1421663954_thumb.jp

Edited by Liney

• 1 month later...

I like to use Depron Foam, it's a more "structured" foam. Its harder but easy to cut and don't leave that small foam "balls". Them, use a simple pencil you can sculpt it to make textures like bricks, cracks and anything you want. I use acrylic amd enamel paints, proper for hobby.

Sometimes I use cardboard too.

Due to the minimates figures' style, even a simple dioramas match perfectly. You don't need a lot of realism to use with the mates.

Here are some of the dioramas I made or still finishing! The Hershel Farm I made with cardboard one day I was bored. The others are made of depron. The rooftop outdoor still need an Ad!

post-9915-0-00951300-1426119538_thumb.jp

post-9915-0-37822600-1426119562_thumb.jp

post-9915-0-55992700-1426119601_thumb.jp

post-9915-0-55262400-1426119646_thumb.jp

Edited by Gregio

Also, if you aren't crafty, there are a lot of different playsets that are in scale with minimates. Like BHM said, Megabloks are good for that, and some of the Spider-man sets are perfect. And, if you can hunt down complete ones on eBay, the older Imaginext city builder sets are right in scale.

Edited by Tommy Wiseau

Thanks, guys! I'm mading too small dioramas for each spot of my shelf, simple things like just floor and walls to improve the visual and give to each group a better display! Each spot will be an "environment"

Edited by Gregio

• 2 weeks later...

first time making a dio and i gotta say i like the wall alot. dont know what im going to do with the floor most likely a cement sidewalk 20150326_021236_zpsxcz1rykh.jpg

Also the wall can hold mjolnir and i added a wolverine claw mark20150326_021314_zpskgjc12ff.jpg

Edited by AceSimba

Man, really great!!!

Here in my country is hard to find dioramas or good playsets for sale. The the toy stuff with bright colors and weird acessories/gadgets.

One option is use WWII model kits/dioramas that requires assembly and paint. To have this kind of work is better to make one from scratch too.

@Gregio

From where do you get your Depron foam? I was thinking about trying a diorama, but I couldn't find the foam you suggested. Thanks!

@Gregio

From where do you get your Depron foam? I was thinking about trying a diorama, but I couldn't find the foam you suggested. Thanks!

That´s great, Onix! I liked much more when I started to make my own diorama instead of trying some existing playset and bases. Sadly, I don´t know if I can help you because I´m from Brazil. The first search I made was on the Brazilian Ebay but then I googled it and find the Depron Foam in stores of handicraft materials and party decoration.

You can try too some Hobby Stores. I doesn´t know but they used Depron in R/C airplanes (to make them light and durable).

I hope that these can be a good start to you!