UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spongebob Minimates

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has an assortment of minimates cancelled by DST?

Sponge Bob Square Pants!

It's a shame cause they looked great like that boxset from Rocky 3.

Sponge Bob Square Pants!

If more Spongebob minimates be somethin' ya wish.

Sponge Bob Square Pants!

Then write a letter to Chuck begging at "Ask DST"!

Sponge Bob Square Pants!

Ready?

Sponge Bob Square Pants,

Sponge Bob Square Pants,

Sponge Bob Square Pants,

Sponge Bob Square Paaants! laugh.png

I believe Muppets did fine, but they will also be at TRU, which helps. Spongebob was not. And we hope to do more with BB, animal prejudice or no.

Bob did have a TRU boxset.

But Series 2 did not, which made specialty orders crucial.

Mm things make sense now.

Why would you not try to market these to tru? If anything they shouldve been exclusive to tru. Most specialty stores arent going to invest in merchandise based on a primarily kid driven show, kids arent exactly dominating the market of comic shops afterall

C'mon man, you don't think DST didn't want to sell these in TRU stores? Your constant criticism of DST's decisions is making you a bit irrational.

TRU didn't want more Spongebob Minimates, and Specialty orders of Wave 2 were too low to justify the cost of production moving forward without TRU's support.

I noticed the Megabloks sets are all over TRU, including figures packs:

Mega-Bloks-SpongeBob-Collectible-Figure-

This is one saturated sponge. Hopefully not oversaturated, for DST's sake.

Looks like this sponge was oversaturated after all. Too bad because AA did an excellent job of adapting the characters. :(

My tru has the spongebob block figs in the lego area, and all kinds of spongebob mini's with playset's and other cool stuf in the action figure area. Over saturated is right, and with the competition having more fun in the package with more products versus 1 boxset, why would tru keep buying them? This sucks for sure but the spongebob market is tapped right now.

Edited by arnim zola

• 1 year later...

Hi Zach,

Not sure if this should go in the ask Zack thread, but what happens to the promo minimates that get canceled? Like the Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider movie or the awesome lookin Sponge Bob series 2 mates. Do you guys pack the sample mates away or do you auction them off?

Just curious.

8 hours ago, spidermatt said:

Hi Zach,

Not sure if this should go in the ask Zack thread, but what happens to the promo minimates that get canceled? Like the Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider movie or the awesome lookin Sponge Bob series 2 mates. Do you guys pack the sample mates away or do you auction them off?

Just curious.

"Promo" Minimates is a term we use for bagged giveaways. "Sample" minimates are the first production figures off of the factory line, which are reviewed for errors and quality.

The Spongebob 2 Minimates were as far as I know, hand-painted prototypes, made for catalog and con displays, and we generally archive those. I don't remember exactly from the one time I handled them at a show, but I never got any unpackaged or packaged samples of Spongebob 2. I was not here for Ghost Rider, but I'm fairly certain those were just painted prototypes, as well, which were also archived (as far as I know, maybe someone got a hold of them).

I have given away painted prototypes at various events, but I have never given away a figure that was never made. I don't think we have ever auctioned them off for charity or anything.