UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Your Five Favorite Albums

karamazov80

I've been checking out all the music that I'm not familiar with on youtube, this is a fun thread. It has also gotten me to seek out a lot of music I haven't listened to for a long time.

I want to amend a "Top 5 guilty pleasures" albums list, not necessarily your favorites, but ones that you periodically go back to and still enjoy...for whatever reason. Albums that might get you weird looks from others, or teased about on an internet forum. wink.png

Here are my "guilty pleasures", in no particular order.

- These Are the Good Times People (Presidents of the United States of America)

- Doubt (Jesus Jones)

- The Boy Who Knew Too Much (Mika)

- Pocket Full of Kryptonite (Spin Doctors)

- So Much For The Afterglow (Everclear)

[Mods, I didn't want to clutter the forum with another music thread, so please move this to a new thread if it makes more sense.]

Pet Sounds ... Beach Boys

Wow...that's one I haven't thought of in a looooong time. I used to listen to my parents' record all the time. God Only Knows is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Edited by youbastards

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really tough to choose just 5 and it changes regularly, but here goes:

Tori Amos: Boys For Pele. The first Tori album I saw her tour. It's a complicated listen but her arrangements are incredible here.

The Shins: Chutes Too Narrow. This is the ultimate pop album for me. I love the way the songs rarely follow a typical pop-song structure.

Aimee Mann: Lost In Space. Aimee is probably my favourite-ever lyricist. All her albums are stand-outs but this one is particularly special to me.

Interpol: Antics. Another incredible live act. Love listening to this through headphones, loudly.

Moloko: Things To Make And Do. For dancing!.

This has taken me ages and I already want to swap some out.

Things to make and Do was HUGE for me. I couldn't get anyone to come with me when they toured here, saw I went to their show alone, and it was possibly the best fun i have ever had at a concert in my life.

Dolittle is probably in my top 10, and Kind of Blue is probably the most "essential" modern jazz album out there. One of the first I was exposed to, and I've given it as a gift more than once. Miles, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and Cannonball Adderley together makes it a kind of dream team of jazz musicians. I would also put "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck, the Quintet (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, Max Roach) Live at Massey Hall, and Duke Ellington Live at Newport on that list.

Guilty pleasures!

1) with a bullet. . .Debbie Gibson: Out of the Blue. I challenge anyone to put this on and not start tapping your toes laugh.png

2) Garth Brooks: Ropin' the Wind (nostalgia. . .it's powerful)

3) the Jets: Greatest Hits (I wouldn't be bothered getting anything but a compilation, but I do enjoy the heck out of some of these songs)

4) Madonna: Madonna

5) Michael Jackson: Off the Wall (only a guilty pleasure for the disco connection. Actually a very very good album, 2nd best he did IMO).

Dishonorable mention: Dio: Holy Diver (I love Dio's work here and elsewhere--Rainbow and Black Sabbath--but if you ever watched his videos. . .man)

http://youtu.be/bkysjcs5vFU

Edited by karamazov80

Evanescence - Fallen

Billy Joel's Greatest Hits (cheap, I know, but too much to pass up)

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - anything, really, but Love Their Country is probably my all time fav

Dave Matthews Band - Live at Fenway (I was there =))

Transformers '86 motion picture soundtrack

NiN With Teeth, Fratellis Costello Music, and the Blues Brothers Soundtrack all want desperately for this to be a top 8 list

Thumbs up to Psyguy for Chutes Too Narrow. My wife and I danced to New Slang. :thumbsup:

Can't believe we have to whittle our lists down to five; I've gotten my personal list down to top ten, and now I've got to divide it even more? Damn.

1. Jesus & Mary Chain: Honey's Dead (though I often ossilate between that and Psycho Candy)

2. Belle & Sebastien: The Boy With the Arab Strap

3. The Cure: Disintigration

4. Morphine: Cure for Pain

5. U2: the Unforgettable Fire (though I reserve the right to change that)

But I have to say two things: Gish is better then Siamese Dream; and the GotG soundtrack isn't an album! It's a collection of songs! :nono:

R.I.P. Mark Sandman

Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix

London Calling - The Clash

Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead

Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

Thumbs up to Psyguy for Chutes Too Narrow. My wife and I danced to New Slang. thumbsup.gif

Can't believe we have to whittle our lists down to five; I've gotten my personal list down to top ten, and now I've got to divide it even more? Damn.

1. Jesus & Mary Chain: Honey's Dead (though I often ossilate between that and Psycho Candy)

But I have to say two things: Gish is better then Siamese Dream; and the GotG soundtrack isn't an album! It's a collection of songs! nono.gif

R.I.P. Mark Sandman

RIP is right. I probably saw Morphine more then any other band- they used to play Philly a lot- and they were surprisingly awesome live. He was a great frontman, with a really great dry wit. His death was one of the most devastating for me, right up there with Jeff Buckley.

This is one of my five favorite songs, although it's a terrible introduction to the band, since nothing else they ever did sounds like it:

http://youtu.be/qu0emZnpvnw

Edited by hellpop

I have only seen one of my album bands so far so my tastes might be varied and wierd.

Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen (although I love everything Ben Folds does)

Barenaked Ladies - Everything to Everyone

Collective Soul- Youth

The Carpenters - the Singles 1969-1973

That was more difficult than I thought. I love pretty almost everything from the above groups but those are my favorite albums from each.

Thumbs up to Psyguy for Chutes Too Narrow. My wife and I danced to New Slang. thumbsup.gif

But I have to say two things: Gish is better then Siamese Dream; and the GotG soundtrack isn't an album! It's a collection of songs! nono.gif

R.I.P. Mark Sandman

RIP is right. I probably saw Morphine more then any other band- they used to play Philly a lot- and they were surprisingly awesome live. He was a great frontman, with a really great dry wit. His death was one of the most devastating for me, right up there with Jeff Buckley.

This is one of my five favorite songs, although it's a terrible introduction to the band, since nothing else they ever did sounds like it:

http://youtu.be/qu0emZnpvnw

That's my favorite Morphine song but it kind of makes me cry so I cant listen to it often. There's a DVD about his life. From what I can gather this is a song about his younger brother who died young. Heartbreaking. Also, FUCK DREAMWORKS. His estate produced a double disc featuring outtakes and whatnot. Dreamworks agreed to let them use out-takes from "The Night" but then rescinded the request at the last minute. There's still some good songs on that set though. It's 'Sandbox' by Mark Sandman. Edited by pappymojo

Nowhere else to share my little secret........I have only ever had one pair of CDs in my truck because I'm more of a radio listener than a CD listener .

Kill Bill 1 & 2 .

I have had that truck for 14 years & I bought the CDs when they were released & they have remained in the truck ..... & I still love them.

Pretty sad though huh ?

Lonerism - Tame Impala

Chulahoma - The Black Keys

Reflector - Arcade Fire

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie

Congratulations - MGMT

I basically have those on repeat whenever Im customizing. Now if you asked me what kinds of bands I listen to,Id tell you The Black Keys,Arcade Fire,Tame Impala,MGMT,David Bowie,Oberhofer,Gorillaz,Soft Cell,New Order,Dead or Alive,Franz Ferdinand,Arctic Monkeys,The Strokes,Joy Division,Kavinsky, and Melodys Echo Chamber.

Nowhere else to share my little secret........I have only ever had one pair of CDs in my truck because I'm more of a radio listener than a CD listener .

Kill Bill 1 & 2 .

I have had that truck for 14 years & I bought the CDs when they were released & they have remained in the truck ..... & I still love them.

Pretty sad though huh ?

I have satellite radio, so mostly I listen to that in my car as well. But I also keep my Ipod in there a lot of the time, and always have some Steely Dan and Husker Du CDs on stand-by just in case.

These are five of the albums where I like all or at least 90% of the songs on the album

Nirvana - Nevermind

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters

Misfits - Pretty much any album from Danzig or Graves

Mindless Self Indulgence - How I learned to stop giving a **** and love Mindless Self Indulgence

Ooooh! I love music topics.

In no particular order:

Superdrag - head trip in every key

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy or Ten, a very hard choice

Shinedown - leave a whisper

Counting Crows - August and everything after

Cold - 13 ways to bleed on stage

And this list could be so much longer. It hurts my soul to pick only 5.

Love the crazy diversity around here.

Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun

John Butler Trio - April Uprising

INXS - Kick (first band/album I really got into and still love to this day)

Beck - The Information

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Runner up…

Weezer - Red album

U2 - Achtung Baby

AFI- The art of drowning

Gerard way- Hesitant alien

Johnny Cash- The man comes around

The misfits- Famous monsters

Billy talent- Billy talent I

It was too difficult to pick from preference so i just checked out my most listened to list on iTunes and these came up. my most listened to song on iTunes was Johnny cash- The man comes around. so I suppose that album get the top spot, the remaining four albums are not in any order at all.

This was hard for me, because i like so many different songs, from so many different people. I definitely go into different phases of music depending on time of year. I tried to narrow it by the top albums i recall listening to the most from cover to cover (which i find hard to do these days for various reasons) and this is what I've come up with. I'll leave it at five, although i could go on to easily top 25. Some of these do not contain my favorite songs from each group/singer/musician/etc, but overall better album in my opinion.

Nina Simone- Nina Simone sings the blues
Johnny Cash- At San Quentin
The Beatles-abbey road
Jethro Tull- Aqualung
Eric B. and Rakim- Paid in Full

I reserve the right to change my mind immediately, lol

Hozier - Hozier

Lana del Rey - Ultraviolence

Bastille - Bad Blood

London Grammar - If You Wait

Inside Llewyn Davis Soundtrack

This was actually a fairly difficult list to nail down. This isn't even including scores. They're also all pretty damn modern, which I'm sort of surprised by. Bob Dylan should have absolutely made it, but I've realized that I most frequently go to his compilations instead of original releases. Ace Frehley's solo album was pretty close, too.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 .

Pretty sad though huh ?

Those cds are bad ass, I LOVE Meiko Kaji's songs, and those soundtracks are supreme.

AFI- The art of drowning

Gerard way- Hesitant alien

Johnny Cash- The man comes around

The misfits- Famous monsters

Billy talent- Billy talent I

It was too difficult to pick from preference so i just checked out my most listened to list on iTunes and these came up. my most listened to song on iTunes was Johnny cash- The man comes around. so I suppose that album get the top spot, the remaining four albums are not in any order at all.

The Johnny Cash Unearthed Boxset is fantastic.