UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Your Five Favorite Albums

karamazov80

In a selfish attempt to learn about some good music, what are your five favorite musical albums, today (I know it changes all the time for me)? Here are mine, without giving it too much thought:

1) Steely Dan: Aja (if not in the interest of spreading the love around, Katy Lied would probably also make my list)

2) Bill Evans Trio: Waltz for Debby (Live from the Village Vanguard)

3) Wes Montgomery: Full House (Live from Berkley)

4) Sugar: Copper Blue

5) the Police: Synchronicity

I've listened to each of these albums dozens of times, and they just seem to get better whenever I listen to them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorites? Hmmm....

1. Starbomb (By Starbomb) (Explicit)

2. Mandatory Fun (By Weird Al Yankovic)

3. Player Select (Also By Starbomb) (Explicit)

4. The Green Album (Miss.)

5. ??????

Not sure about the last one

Edited by Gmonkey2k

Siamese Dream is an important one for me. One of the first handful of CDs I ever picked up, and it was my favorite for the longest time. That one, Versus from Pearl Jam, and Green Day Dookie are probably the most important albums of my youth. My cousins exposed me to A Kind of Magic even before I had a CD player because of the Highlander connection. I about wore the tape out.

Autobiographically speaking:

Star Wars – John Williams. While I listened to plenty of 50s, 60s, and 70s pop music in my youth, this was my first album and it continues to inspire.

Thriller – Michael Jackson. Say what you want about the man-child, his work was entertaining and got me onto the dance floor.

Dream of the Blue Turtles – Sting. His first solo album and music that helped get me through college.

Coverdale•Page – David Coverdale & Jimmy Page. I was never a fan of Whitesnake or Led Zeppelin but for some reason this collaboration was my muse to get through many a deadline drawing battlemechs for FASA. Go figure.

Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morrisette. I was going through a very rough patch when I was introduced to this young lady, who seemed like she was screaming at me. It was actually my conscience.

No definitive top5, since you asked for "today". I guess these are the albums I am listening to the most in, say, at least a year or two.

Order is arbitrary.

Yoko Kanno - Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack (I usually do not listen to soundtracks, since they are more of a compilation. this here is different.)

Morrissey - You Are The Quarry (I was born too late to be a Smith-fan, but you gotta love the Mozzer!)

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Good Morning Susie Soho (probably one of the best modern jazz trios)

Macklemore - The Heist (Grew up with hiphop in the late 80s, but don't like modern stuff. Except this guy. He states a real opinion on things and is refreshingly self-deprecating)

Laura Mvula - with the Metropole Orkestra (This is just fantastic. I think this really shows what "pop-music" can actually be nowadays.)

K80: Smashing Pumpkins were important for me, too. I never really got into Pearl Jam and I always thought Green Day were just blah. wink.png

YB: Wolfmother! I was really surpised when these guys came up. Who could expect this kind of music would be cool again? But yes, they are.

Edit: K80: I am listening to Wes Montgomery: Full House right now (thanks internet). I get why it's in your list.

Edited by Bob Harris

This changes often, but right now...

Deliverance - Corrosion of Conformity

Minor Threat - Minor Threat

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

War Child - Jethro Tull

Awesome Mix Vol 1 - GOTG Soundtrack

I realize I have trash taste in music, but I am proud of it, so lol.

Born This Way- Lady Gaga: I'm a pop music fan through and through, and this album has such a fun blend of genre's and pieces and just flawless instrumentals and fun hooks. Dirty gritty songs like Scheiße to fun heartfelt sax solos in Edge of Glory.

Heart Station- Utada Hikaru: Another pop masterpiece, for me. I don't understand Japanese, but something about nearly everysong makes me love it and appreciate it all the more.

Warrior- Ke$ha: the best bubblegum pop for me. Tons of fun little lyrics, good jams, and just plain smile inducing.

Kingdom Hearts1-2 OST- Yoko Shimomura: the perfect marriage of classic disney songs and Final fantasy esque OST's, addicting little melodies and emotion inducing background songs. Best video game ost ever.

And not really sure for number 5.

Edited by Zexion_Armando

Siamese Dream is an important one for me. One of the first handful of CDs I ever picked up, and it was my favorite for the longest time. That one, Versus from Pearl Jam, and Green Day Dookie are probably the most important albums of my youth. My cousins exposed me to A Kind of Magic even before I had a CD player because of the Highlander connection. I about wore the tape out.

Yeah, I got a copy of Siamese Dream through the Columbia House club back in the day that I wore out. :)

It's hard for me to pick a single Queen album, but I went with AKOM just because of my exposure to it over the years. The Flash Gordon soundtrack was where I really learned to appreciate them though.

Autobiographically speaking:

Star Wars – John Williams. While I listened to plenty of 50s, 60s, and 70s pop music in my youth, this was my first album and it continues to inspire.

Thriller – Michael Jackson. Say what you want about the man-child, his work was entertaining and got me onto the dance floor.

Dream of the Blue Turtles – Sting. His first solo album and music that helped get me through college.

Coverdale•Page – David Coverdale & Jimmy Page. I was never a fan of Whitesnake or Led Zeppelin but for some reason this collaboration was my muse to get through many a deadline drawing battlemechs for FASA. Go figure.

Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morrisette. I was going through a very rough patch when I was introduced to this young lady, who seemed like she was screaming at me. It was actually my conscience.

My brother had the Star Wars soundtrack on 8-track, fond memories of turning that on while playing with the toys as a kid.

I just relistened to the Coverdale/Page album a few months ago! :)

No definitive top5, since you asked for "today". I guess these are the albums I am listening to the most in, say, at least a year or two.

Order is arbitrary.

Yoko Kanno - Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack (I usually do not listen to soundtracks, since they are more of a compilation. this here is different.)

Morrissey - You Are The Quarry (I was born too late to be a Smith-fan, but you gotta love the Mozzer!)

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Good Morning Susie Soho (probably one of the best modern jazz trios)

Macklemore - The Heist (Grew up with hiphop in the late 80s, but don't like modern stuff. Except this guy. He states a real opinion on things and is refreshingly self-deprecating)

Laura Mvula - with the Metropole Orkestra (This is just fantastic. I think this really shows what "pop-music" can actually be nowadays.)

K80: Smashing Pumpkins were important for me, too. I never really got into Pearl Jam and I always thought Green Day were just blah. wink.png

YB: Wolfmother! I was really surpised when these guys came up. Who could expect this kind of music would be cool again? But yes, they are.

Edit: K80: I am listening to Wes Montgomery: Full House right now (thanks internet). I get why it's in your list.

After having not watched it for almost a decade, I just got Bebop on Blu-ray and can attest to the quality of that soundtrack. When I first heard Wolfmother, I had a hard time believing that it was (at the time) a current day release. I would have lost a bet that it was some kind of unearthed album from the 70's.

Really tough to choose just 5 and it changes regularly, but here goes:

Tori Amos: Boys For Pele. The first Tori album I saw her tour. It's a complicated listen but her arrangements are incredible here.

The Shins: Chutes Too Narrow. This is the ultimate pop album for me. I love the way the songs rarely follow a typical pop-song structure.

Aimee Mann: Lost In Space. Aimee is probably my favourite-ever lyricist. All her albums are stand-outs but this one is particularly special to me.

Interpol: Antics. Another incredible live act. Love listening to this through headphones, loudly.

Moloko: Things To Make And Do. For dancing!.

This has taken me ages and I already want to swap some out.

Edited by Psyguy

Thumbs up to Psyguy for Chutes Too Narrow. My wife and I danced to New Slang. thumbsup.gif

Can't believe we have to whittle our lists down to five; I've gotten my personal list down to top ten, and now I've got to divide it even more? Damn.

1. Jesus & Mary Chain: Honey's Dead (though I often ossilate between that and Psycho Candy)

2. Belle & Sebastien: The Boy With the Arab Strap

3. The Cure: Disintigration

4. Morphine: Cure for Pain

5. U2: the Unforgettable Fire (though I reserve the right to change that)

But I have to say two things: Gish is better then Siamese Dream; and the GotG soundtrack isn't an album! It's a collection of songs! nono.gif

Lots of stuff here I need to check out! I also love the Bebop soundtrack. I picked up the 3 or 4 disc version over a decade ago, and for awhile it was the main thing I was listening to. To Shanester's post, when I turned about 16 or so, I shifted to more of the punk rock stuff, and Minor Threat was one of my favorites. I had about 10 shirts that I wore to school at the time, and they included about 4 Bad Religion shirts (that pissed all the teachers off I'm sure), Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, Slayer, Misfits, and. . .uh, No Doubt laugh.png In my defense, this was early No Doubt, when their Tragic Kingdom album was out. I'm pretty sure no one else at school knew who they were or what my shirt meant.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

60RNLCt.gif

Though Gish ain't bad. My second favorite Pumpkins album is Pisces Iscariot, their collection of b-sides, demos, etc.

Edited by karamazov80

Lots of stuff here I need to check out! I also love the Bebop soundtrack. I picked up the 3 or 4 disc version over a decade ago, and for awhile it was the main thing I was listening to. To Shanester's post, when I turned about 16 or so, I shifted to more of the punk rock stuff, and Minor Threat was one of my favorites. I had about 10 shirts that I wore to school at the time, and they included about 4 Bad Religion shirts (that pissed all the teachers off I'm sure), Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, Slayer, Misfits, and. . .uh, No Doubt laugh.png In my defense, this was early No Doubt, when their Tragic Kingdom album was out. I'm pretty sure no one else at school knew who they were or what my shirt meant.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

60RNLCt.gif

Though Gish ain't bad. My second favorite Pumpkins album is Pisces Iscariot, their collection of b-sides, demos, etc.

handle-the-truth.gif

EDIT: This wasn't my original response gif. On my commute it occurred to me that this is much better. Can we all just pretend I always posted this one? I'm already dealing with the dismissive Jennifer Lawrence gif, the hydrogen bomb of gifs. Cut me some slack here.

Edited by hellpop

Very fun seeing what everyone is in to.

Pavement- Slanted and Enchanted

Weezer- Blue Album

Amiina- Kurr

Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Nolan Batman Trilogy (Yes, technically three separate albums, but they make one nice, cohesive album. Pretty cool. And they're nice to listen to while reading at night.)

(Some worthy mentions: Takk... by Sigur Ros, Ultima II Massage by Tobacco, and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.)

Edited by Turtle

Back to you hellpop. Belle and Sebastian were almost on my list, but If You're Feeling Sinister is my pick. smile.png

Love it, but I think Arab Strap is a better overall album. There's a couple songs on Sinister that just don't do much for me. But Judy and the Dream of Horses and Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying might be my two favorite B&S songs.

Tough to list just five, but these would definitely be in a deserted island box of music for me.

1. Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

2. Doolittle - The Pixies

3. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Pavement

4. Perfect From Now On - Built to Spill

5. Blur - Blur

Despite the fact that I enjoy music I have never been able to sit down & truly enjoy it.....my loss .

I've been thinking about this for hours & my contribution is this .........

Pet Sounds ... Beach Boys

Please Please Me....Beatles

Dark Side of the Moon ....Pink Floyd

Bridge Over Troubled Waters....Simon & Garfunkel

The Doors...guess

Most of those albums were enjoyed whilst I was lying down.....not sitting down...make of that what you will wink.png