UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Your First Comic

Gmonkey2k

Hey man thanks! I actually think this is a great idea for a thread, maybe im alone in that but it'd be pretty cool to see what people consider their first comic book and the story surrounding reading it

ill start with mine and pose a few questions to all of you

the first comic I read cover to cover, was in 2007, im sure im one of the newer comic readers on the board (as im part of the demographic of members under 20), I was in 6th grade at a K-8 charter school and the 4th grade teacher was this awesome dude named Patrick who would always bring in his comics (current stuff at the time mainly) for the middle schoolers to read. My first week at the school Patrick came up to me (after overhearing a game I was playing with some friends) and handed me seven issues in a nice little stack that according to him "I had to read". Those seven issues were a miniseries of a small but popular event in Marvel comics, some of you may have heard of it :P

hOhbkbp.jpg

after that I was sold on comics forever, Ive been avidly reading them for the last 8 years now and plan to continue to read them for many years to come

my questions to you guys are:

1. What was the first comic book you ever read? (any comic any company, you just have to have read it cover to cover)

2. What was the first comic series you ever followed (more than 3 issues)

if you guys have any more ideas for the thread, chime in!

I recieved a few hand-me-down comics from friends of my mothers.... they were things like Mighty Mutanimals. I think they were unsold issues from a newsagent, as they had no covers on them.
The first in tact comic i remember receiving was this baby:

m5UbykP8Za_D_pAm6TUXJMg.jpg

I had been collecting the Fleer Ultra X-Men '94 cards (a beautiful set, by the way) without really knowing much about the X-Men. I mostly bought them because friends of mine were, and they looked cool.
My Dad worked near a comic book shop and bought me a couple of packs of the cards once he found out i was collecting and also came home with the above comic for me to read. Shortly after which i saved up some pocket money and went to the comic shop with my dad and bought this back-issue:

28009_4_732f7a.jpg

Annnnnnd - i was hooked. I had gleaned enough information from the card collection to know who almost everyone on the cover of Uncanny X-Men 304 was, and the story surrounding the events.

Shortly after this, i found a place closer to home who sold comics. They had Uncanny X-Men 318 for sale.

uxm318.jpg

I bought it and have been collecting ever since.

Edited by Nessex

My first comic was Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos that my uncle had left in a box of odds and ends he'd left behind during one of his moves between A.F. bases. I can't say that it hooked me on comics but I do remember reading it.

Then for a while I'd get a G.I. Joe of Transformers comic if I liked the cover but what really hooked me was getting a used copy of The Dark Phoenix Saga. After that I couldn't get enough. In fact it really did become an addiction to the point that at one point I had over 6,000 comics. Then around about the end of Heroes Reborn I quit collecting and gave away nearly everything in order to make a clean break.

Now I'm back to reading comics again; however I'm severely restricting myself to less than ten series. If I get to seven then I start considering which titles I have to cut. Fortunately I don't count trades so I can pick up important story events every once in a while.

post-6743-0-57828600-1420269394_thumb.jp

My first comic was a reprint of 'The Amazing Spider-Man' #3. It was published in 2004 and given away at Best Buy stores to promote the release of Spider-Man 2. I had already been a fan of Spider-Man though the movies and action figures, but this really cemented my love for the character. From then on I got new issues weekly, and started to try to get the full run. (I have just about 40 issues left to get EVERY issue).

I'm not sure if it was my first ever comic, but I vividly remember reading a UK reprint of the below story when I was a kid. It was the first time I'd seen Superman outside of the movies and I loved it.

Within the same book, (as is common in the UK) there were other stories, including the first issue of Batman Year One. I was about 5 and I found it very dull, although I love it now.

post-2082-0-33627100-1420282325_thumb.jp

post-2082-0-41135000-1420282338_thumb.jp

The first comic I read from cover to cover was an English comic called the 'Hornet' , it was the first issue & it was published September 14th 1963 ....I was 8 years old . I still have it ....& every single copy published until 1976 when it packed in.

post-638-0-74235200-1420290476_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the first Marvel comic that I read from cover to cover ........that was Avengers #19 which was the (then) current issue .............August 1965 .

I was 10 years old...................... everything changed yes.gif

post-638-0-76792200-1420290423_thumb.jpg

Edited by buttheadsmate

Great idea for a topic. I have been thinking a lot about what initially got me into comics lately. My Dad was always a DC fan and I used to pick up his Batman and Superman anthologies when I was around 5 years old to look through. I had the Beano and the Dandy delivered to my house when I was younger too, but the first Marvel comic I picked up was this; which was just on the shelf at my local newsagents. I think I was about 6 or 7 and it is still one of my favourite events.

post-1790-0-37661200-1420302974_thumb.jp

I then collected the remainder of the Secret Wars event and would get my Dad to draw superhero posters for me to stick to my bedroom door.

X-Men_Classic_Vol_1_70.jpg

This was a freebie when I bought the original Toy Biz Nightcrawler figure at KB Toy Works.

I liked it, having only ever really known the X-Men, prior to this, in Pryde of the X-Men. I had no idea who or what Binary was. Within a year, I found myself at a Toys r Us with money to burn and nothing I wanted to spend it on. There was an... 8?... Pack of comics that I grabbed that netted me the entire X-family relaunch all in one fell swoop. New Mutants 100 and X-Force 1, X-Men 1 AND 1e, Uncanny 280 and 281, and X-Factor 70 and 71? Something like that. I was hooked. For better or worse, tell death do us part.

Is this thread specifically designed to make me feel old? sad.png

I couldn't tell you what my first comic was. I have vivid memories of my dad reading a Batman comic with the Riddler. I also have vivid memories of reading this comic:

Justice_League_of_America_Vol_1_195_001.

but it is undoubtedly not my first. But rest assured, it was either Batman or the Justice League.

NOW YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN. mad.gif

I think this was my first comic:

post-1800-0-94541300-1420321887_thumb.jp

It was a UK magazine-size collection that reprinted stuff from licensed TV comics mostly, but with some Spidey and Death's Head thrown in.

The first proper title I 'collected' was probably ALF or the Archie Ninja Turtles comic or Groo -- I never had consecutive issues though because they were picked up at random news stands.

The first superhero comic I bought and followed was Spider-Man 2099 from issue 1. Similar to Nessex, I knew a lot about Marvel comics going in from collecting a ton of trading cards, plus I'd "read" the Secret Wars Sticker Book:

post-1800-0-95916100-1420322961_thumb.jp

And this old prose book I had when I was even younger:

post-1800-0-00876900-1420322989_thumb.jp

Wish I still had all this stuff!

Edited by battlecat

I got my start with the Marvel G.I.Joe and Star Wars comics in the early '80s, but some of my early favorites were the mini-comics that shipped with the Masters of the Universe figures.

mastersuniversecomic00.jpg

Star Wars #35 was one of my very first, I will always remember that cover. It was also the first title that I went back and bought backissues for when I started attending the annual Mid-Ohio ComicCon that was held at the local fairgrounds. That's also where I met Dave Prowse. :)

Star_Wars_Vol_1_35.jpg

G.I. Joe #21 was where my true love for comics started though, that was when I was hooked.

gi_joe.jpg

My mom got me a subscription to G.I. Joe and the first subscription issue I ever received was #26, the first part of the origin of Snake Eyes.

G.I._Joe_A_Real_American_Hero_Vol_1_26.j

Mine wasn't actually a single comic, it was this bad boy:

001.jpg

Given to me, along with an empty comicbook box to fill, by my dad on my 5th birthday. It was followed shortly by this:

xmen1a.jpg

which to this day remains one of my favorite pieces of reading material. I've read it cover to cover about a hundred times.

Edited by Glantern

My dad was a real big Batman fan as a kid and all throughout his high school and college life. This means that there were many Batman comics and comics featuring the Dark Knight around me as a lad.

The one I remember him reading me is the first issue of the series entitled, "Batman:Hush"

WOOMlAb.jpg

This featured Batman saving some kid (to this day I have no idea who the kid is) from an attack from Killer Croc.

To answer the second question, I remeber my dad taking me to my local comic shop and me picking up a revamp of the Uncanny X-Men from the Claremont era. I enjoyed it because the first two issues were a two parter which was a crossover with a group I had never heard of called, The Inhumans. That was when I was about 9. Since then, the Inhuamns have been one of my favorite groups in comic books.

4WJuCJb.jpg

I'm not totally sure what my first comic was. Something from the early '80s, no doubt. I was exposed to comics by my older cousins (about 10 years older than me), who were mostly Marvel guys, so I read lots of the X-Men and Avengers stuff. They also had Crisis. I remember seeing Spiderman vs. Wolverine, Secret Wars 2, and Kraven's Last Hunt on the stands. First comic-related book I recall being exposed to though, was this, which is about the JLA, and written by Marv Wolfman. It was a cross between a kids' story and comic book, and had an audio tape using some of the Muppet performers doing voices. I bought a copy for my oldest daughter a couple years back and we've read it a couple of times.

1023577.jpg

I was in California at my cousin's house and he took me to a nearny comic store. I had already been collecting Marvel trading cards so I was familiar with the characters and when I saw this Deadpool comic I had to have it. It was the first comic book I ever bought and the first one I ever read. I read other comics here and there but the first series I bought and read the whole series was Star Wars Legacy.

. post-1769-0-72302200-1420386936_thumb.jp

my first comic book or at least the earliest time that I can remember owning a comic book was "ultimate spider man" #26.

i remember really wanting to know more about the story and more importantly know more about the Goblin, sadly I never did since I was around 7 years old and toys and basically everything else took priority over reading. luckily that couldn't be further from the truth as currently reading and gaming is all that interests me any more.

026.jpg

Edited by infinte fathom

I bought this from a comic store that is long gone. I was probably 10 years old, I collected the "real" comics and bought the animated versions since they always showed the characters in costume. The artwork was often simpler and I used them as drawing reference. This one gave me the X-Men ' s costumes and the Brotherhood.

I've gotten rid of so many comics however I still have this actual comic and will never get rid of it.

post-6474-0-52214100-1420420287_thumb.jp

I was in California at my cousin's house and he took me to a nearny comic store. I had already been collecting Marvel trading cards so I was familiar with the characters and when I saw this Deadpool comic I had to have it. It was the first comic book I ever bought and the first one I ever read. I read other comics here and there but the first series I bought and read the whole series was Star Wars Legacy.

. image.jpg

You and Nessex both have Ian Churchill books, which makes me happy. I LOVE his art, particularly in this style (he also does a cartoony Ed McGuiness style). If you're a fan of it, check out The Coven by Awesome Entertainment and Revenge or Revenger, I forget which. Both are short series with darker stories and his art is amazing in each