UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

February Previews Catalog Minimates Explosion (non-Rockafire variety)

DSTZach

Hmmm I guess I always thought he was a dish sponge since he was played by one in the movie, during that scene where he dried up, you know with guest star Michael Knight.

So now I hope it is sponge bob! I want to see squidward and Gary the snail!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the "License has been guessed, and will be at specialty, TRU and KMart," I'd look at which properties would give those retailers the biggest sales erection.

Kung Fu Panda 3 is coming out in March 2016 so the timing's right. Lots of marketing between now and the release as well as time to develop and get product approved, manufactured, and shipped.

Kung Fu Panda is partnered with the same people DST already has relationships with. The animated series aired on Nickelodeon and the films are distributed through Fox. The property is owned and licensed by DreamWorks, which could open doors for Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, Madagascar, and other properties.

Seems like a good fit, especially for mass market.

I have trouble seeing it only in terms of adapting certain characters into the Minimates aesthetic. (Mantis, Viper, and Crane might simply have to be treated as accessories instead of poseable figures.)

kung_fu_panda2.jpg

Otherwise it's a proven property that is intended to be a six-picture franchise, not including TV specials and future animated series.

Kung Fu Panda is pretty darn far from Archer, and PL makes a good case for it. I just can't see that as an assortment, though. It's just not popular enough to drive all those other packs. Box set, sure, but not an assortment.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the animated license has been guessed, and we're just killing time now.

Kung Fu Panda is pretty darn far from Archer, and PL makes a good case for it. I just can't see that as an assortment, though. It's just not popular enough to drive all those other packs. Box set, sure, but not an assortment.

Like I said, I have trouble seeing the execution but there are plenty of characters for an assortment, especially if a retailer changes their mind and wants blind bags like TMNT.

There are ten featured characters in Kung Fu Panda 3 and three of them are pandas. I can kinda see Crane as a poseable Minimate but not Viper or Mantis. Tigress, Shifu, Monkey, and the new villain would all make awesome Minimates. There's also potential for some other army-builders, breakout secondary characters, and variants of already popular players.

Off the top of my head, I could see an assortment breaking out something like this:

Po & Shifu w/Mantis

Monkey & Tigress w/ Viper

Villain & Crane

Po's Dad & Panda

These are pretty colorful character designs (even the pandas) and we've seen far more obscure, less vibrant characters in Marvel movie assortments. (Shingen Yashida, I'm looking at you.)

All that said, it's probably Pokémon.

There's enough characters, sure, but the sets without Po would be MAJOR pegwarmers. I know that if I were a retailer, I wouldn't order that assortment. Box set, sure, or even blind bags, but not an assortment.

And I doubt it's Pokemon because there's no human characters in this wave. It's certainly possible that DST would do a whole creature wave, but that seems like a bad idea. Pokemon without Team Rocket? Please.

Just accept that we're getting Spongebob Squarepants Minimates!