UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

February Previews Catalog Minimates Explosion (non-Rockafire variety)

DSTZach

I want more Image comics mates...

Me too. Spawn, Savage Dragon, Shadowhawk, Youngblood, Wildcats, Ripclaw....

I also want Madman, Judge Dredd, Star, The Darkness, Judge Death, Conan....essentially I want the Legendary Heroes line in minimate form. I would love to see all sorts of cool Indy comics characters get made.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pondering the animated property a lot, and I've settled on two I think make a lot of logical sense: Spongebob Squarepants and My Little Pony. My reasoning:

1. Zach mentioned in another thread before all this madness began that DST is looking at doing more TV shows.

2. The fact that this is an assortment rather then a box set leads me to think it's a property with a wide character base and fairly wide appeal. The thing about items solicited in Previews is that your audience isn't really the customer but the retailer. It's very hard to convince retailers to buy an assortment, because they have to believe they will be able to sell through a full case of twelve. We've seen examples in the recent past of properties that were done as assortments rather then box sets (SFvT, Tomb Raider, Battle Beasts) with poor results. I don't think DST would go with an assortment at this point unless they were absolutely certain it was a home run.

3. Zach's "it's the opposite of Archer" comment leads me to believe it's not an adult-skewing animated show, so not the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, or anything along those lines. Some of those (South Park in particular) probably wouldn't make for very good Minimates anyway.

4. DST already has a relationship with Nickelodeon thanks to the Turtles, and they are producing MLP product already. Not that either means anything; this is kind of like where sports pundits speculate "Free Agent X may sign with Baltimore because his favorite food is crabcakes". But if your looking for logical clues, those kind of things make sense. There are plenty of other properties that would fit the other three criteria, but the last makes these two seem a little more likely.

Frankly, the biggest drawback to these two is that they might be too big for an assortment, and would be better candidates for blind bags. I would think, though, that Hasbro at least might not want blind bags, since they already have small scale ponies sold in that packaging.

So, those are my guesses, Spongebob and MLP. And that's my logic, which is not based on my own biases. Both guesses make sense. And both are probably wrong. *shrugs*

Looking at the solicitation text for the February Previews catalog, we have six Minimates items in there:

- 1 Valiant two-pack, never shown

I wouldn't say Never....

It's not the one we showed.

Please Archer and Armstrong, oh PLEASE...

Classic. Ninja/Shogun era is where it started to all fall apart....

If we got the Zords, they could fight Godzilla mates!

are they all cartoon related or cartoon esque? because I've been saying for years now that Power Rangers would be amazing as minimates....and I would buy them ALL!

Would you go classic Rangers or the more modern teams?

I've been wanting some MMPR Mates too! You have to start with the classic team from the first/second season and then I don't really care where they go after that.

Except I still don't have more than Picard from ST:TNG, thanks to the mixing up of eras, and the only Rangers I ever cared about were the originals (though the movie Zords are my favorite).

Give me these, White Ranger (which I prefer over Green), Alpha, Bulk & Skull, and some bad guys (Rita, Zedd, Goldar, Baboo, Squat, and a Putty army builder), and I'm good:

MMPR_Rangers.jpg

Red, Black, and Yellow can come with spare heads (Jason/Rocky, Zack/Adam, Trini/Aisha).

Except I still don't have more than Picard from ST:TNG, thanks to the mixing up of eras, and the only Rangers I ever cared about were the originals (though the movie Zords are my favorite).

Give me these, White Ranger (which I prefer over Green), Alpha, Bulk & Skull, and some bad guys (Rita, Zedd, Goldar, Baboo, Squat, and a Putty army builder), and I'm good:

MMPR_Rangers.jpg

Red, Black, and Yellow can come with spare heads (Jason/Rocky, Zack/Adam, Trini/Aisha).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of mixing up the eras although I get why they would want to do it. My Street Fighter collection doesn't look quite right either. I wouldn't want just a random classic red ranger and green ranger and then they never get around to the rest of the team.

The fact that they have had three bites at the Street Fighter apple and we never got Vega or Balrog is the precise reason I don't want to see eras mixed together unless it's a license like Marvel where it's not likely to get cancelled.

Or Blanka or Dhalsim.... crazy.

I'd be all over MMPR! My dream license.

Not worried about support cast, just the Rangers, alpha and the villains would do for me. Throw in some putties to beef out the lines, and then we can get powered up Red and Black (and blue?) with the green ranger shield to give some variation.

Like the Figuarts we could also get a male and female yellow. Trina can have the 'male' body, and then we can get the skirted version for Aisha.

Follow up with the zords, and then we can move on to the movie versions....not that I'm asking for much :lol:

post-2082-0-93884800-1420295225_thumb.jp