UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

buttheadsmate's TMNT review .

buttheadsmate

I've been pretty vociferous about this line so I've decided to generally comment on them now that I have received them .

As soon as you open the blind-bag you are completely overwhelmed by two things in ascending order ...the Minimate & the toluene that wafts deliciously from the packet . If you're unsure what toluene [toluol] is don't worry ....don't worry at all.... just be happy . Maybe I sniffed too long because I can't find much to criticise .

The various Turtles are superb in most every way ..........especially small ways like..... 'they stand up' & 'they don't fall apart' which are important to me . I now like the keyring idea .... because they don't fall apart .

Did I mention the toluene ? If I didn't then I'll happily mention it ....very happily .

Falling apart : These are without question some of the loveliest & most innovative Minimates in years & someone somewhere must have demanded (not asked) that these minimates should stay in one piece unless its owner wishes otherwise . That's not a criticism by any means but the blurb on the front of the blind bag "swap parts & accessories " is kind of ironic when these are, in relative terms' the least-swapable Minimate line yet ............I can elaborate if pushed but as I said, I feel that these 'mates suffer little because of it . In a nutshell [turtleshell?] I understand their design & for what it's worth I approve.

This line is a huge leap for Minimate design .....mainly forwards......... I do however have one major criticism ............Shredder .

I'm not going to elaborate too much.....I'll just wait & see whether I've just got 3 identical runts or whether they're all the same . If they are [all the same] then even the toluene isn't going to help.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Mine seem to suffer from genetic disorders known as 'tight-helmet' & 'fused-jointivitis' ...............biggrin.png although I'm grateful grateful very very grateful youbagstards .

I'm boiling mine in hot water.....

...........& the minimates .

The helmet does come off..yes? The bottom halves of their legs seem ill-made leading to an inability to stand ..........so far anyway.

Mine seem to suffer from genetic disorders known as 'tight-helmet' & 'fused-jointivitis' ...............biggrin.png although I'm grateful grateful very very grateful youbagstards .

I'm boiling mine in hot water.....

...........& the minimates .

The helmet does come off..yes? The bottom halves of their legs seem ill-made leading to an inability to stand ..........so far anyway.

Yeah, the first thing I tried to do with my Shredder was take his helmet off. I still cant get the damn thing off. It's on there tight!

OK, stopped by a Kmart while out of town today and was able to pick up 3 Mikeys (YAY Muta Mikey!) and a Foot Bot....Unfortunately it appears my Foot Bot is missing at least a lower left arm, is he missing anything else? The artwork looks like he comes with a saw blade as well.

Here's everything that came in the bag (sans clear stand)

TMNTFootbotMinimate_zps65269bff.jpg

Yep, you are missing a forearm and a saw-blade attachment. On the bright side, you do have the pair of hands and therefore a complete Foot Soldier. Boy, customer service is going to be busy this year!

Thanks for the info! I'm enjoying these way more than I thought I would

I seem to be missing that same part ?

BTW :

Kraang has a gun .

I found the Foot soldier's switchblade only by chance .....in the weld of the blind bag . You really need to be careful opening these bags.

As you say Shredder's tampo is very extensive & that may be why the helmet was initially seized but I'm having no luck at all moving his left hip-joint or elbow . I'm also still very concerned about the seized knee joints on both 'Foot' guys ....they're solid confused.gif

Regards 'feeling the bags up' prior to opening, I would be useless in a real-world situation ..............no sense no feeling I guess .

Shogi's truly epic TMNT review inspired me to persevere with what I had believed was a lost cause ..... seized joints . I've handled a fair few minimates in my time & I can honestly say that with perhaps 3 notorious exceptions * I have little problem with breakage & I really didn't want to add either Shredder & the 'foot ' guys to the list ,I therefore just left them seized . That was until today when I took the bull by the horns .........& Hey Presto I managed to free the lot of them banana.gif

Shredder however (leastways my Shredders) ain't never going to stand up straight .......there is something wrong with the mouldings/design of his legs.

I'm not really sure what my conclusion is except to say that I have never ever had this problem with minimates before ..........I'm hoping that mine is just an isolated case ?

*Hydroman , GSX Nightcrawler & TRU 14 Iron Man .

This line begs for a TMNT themed minimate carrying case .

given the array of all the TMNT toys out there now, combined with the mass amounts of random stuff produced in previous years. This line begs for ridiculous amounts of stuff.

Edited by Ninja Mate

Sorry, you asked if it was widespread. If you seriously think you have defective legs, contact customer service. But I think it's a design quirk. His knee pads may prevent a 100% straight leg, unless you apply a little extra pressure, but that is going to be universal. Plus you've already got his cape weight to contend with, which is a problem for most caped characters. But if you tilt him a skoche forward or put him on his base or have him walking, he seems to be fine.

OK . My thread is about my TMNT Minimates....the ones that I have........ not the ones everybody else might have rolleyes.gif

My 3 Shredders do not have defectively designed legs ...... my mistake ,silly ol' butt . I have the 3 that are wrong which is great news for everbody else .

The knee pads may prevent "100% straight legs" wallbash.gif

laugh.png

Shredder however (leastways my Shredders) ain't never going to stand up straight .......there is something wrong with the mouldings/design of his legs.

I'm not really sure what my conclusion is except to say that I have never ever had this problem with minimates before ..........I'm hoping that mine is just an isolated case ?

Sorry, thought this was a question. Didn;t realize this was a private thread. I'm off. Ta.

His knee pads may prevent a 100% straight leg, unless you apply a little extra pressure.

Just generally ............I'm one of the guys that buys the Minimates so forgive me for indulging myself on the forum that I belong to & saying what I think . My only negativity about the whole line was 'Shredder' & for the record I love that figure as well, despite his gait .

I saw a problem & hoped it was isolated ....& TBQH I could give a shit either way in the scheme of things except for one thing ......I bloody well care* .

I am fortunate enough to have friends in the US who will ...

1.Search for a Kmart

2.Pay for the stuff

3.Pack the stuff

4.Send the stuff

I don't mind ......

5.Paying the $$$

6.Paying the shipping

7.Paying the £££ to British customs

8.Boiling the stuff

9.Freezing the stuff

So forgive me when I get a tad frustrated when one of the figures doesn't come up to scratch .

More importantly forgive me for giving a fuck * whether Shredder stands up or not . no.gif

Most importantly WTF would the new, one piece lower legs have an L or & R moulded into their 'sole sockets' ? Why would that be necessary ? Maybe it was important .

* unsure.png

Edited by buttheadsmate

Why do people always say "I'm allowed to say what I think", after I in no way told anybody not to say what they think?

I apologize if I had trouble understanding what you were saying. As usual, the meaning of things you write in this forum is often open to interpretation. Must be the language gap. I interpreted it as a request for info, and I gave the info I had, based on a packaged sample I had. I pointed out that you had to invest a small amount of effort to make the toy stand up, due to the dynamic cape and the added sculpted details. Or you can use the supplied stand. I don't think this is asking too much, but you're right, I am not the one buying them.

The knee is a tight fit, but it gives fairly easily. There's a learning curve with every new part. If we never made any new parts, as much as people LIKE the bare-bones Minimates, I do not think it would be anywhere near as successful as it is.

Can't tell if that last bit is sarcasm or genuine, but they are obviously different parts. If we've never labeled left and right feet before, it's overdue. If you got a Shredder with two Ls or two Rs, then you should contact customer service and get the proper foot. If they're swapped, I would put them on the correct feet. Otherwise, it should be able to stand up, with a stand or a bit of effort.