UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What Are Your Five Favorite Customs?

hellpop

So I just finished up a custom an hour or so ago, which I was really happy with; so happy I thought "that may be one of my five favorite customs". Which of course got me thinking: what are my five favorite customs? Which then got me thinking again: what are everybody's five favorite customs? Or, asked another way, what are the five customs that best represent your work? I'll share mine later (I don't want to be first!), but if this proves popular enough I'll turn this first post into an index.

So, post those figures guys!

Figured I'd just stick to Minimate customs, I have a ton of GI Joe/3 3/4" customs I've done over the years too.

First one is my latest one, Tur-fly-tle

TurflytleMinimate01_zps37cf2b1f.jpg

The rest of my list are the best of the customs I have displayed

Batman Beyond

BatmanBeyondBatman02.jpg

Blight

BatmanBeyondBlight02.jpg

Kolari (an original Battle Beast character)

Twig04.jpg

Shaun & Ed

ShaunEd02.jpg

Edited by Shogi

Figured I'd just stick to Minimate customs, I have a ton of GI Joe/3 3/4" customs I've done over the years too.

First one is my latest one, Tur-fly-tle

TurflytleMinimate01_zps37cf2b1f.jpg

Blight

BatmanBeyondBlight02.jpg

Freakin'. SICK.

20141116_220829_1.jpg

#5 Chemical Burn Viper - a simple parts swap with a vest and helmet from a Resolute Alley Viper to a 30th Anniversary Zombie Viper, plus a chemical container and some cotton batting = this poor victim

20141116_215316_1.jpg

#4 Thunderbolts John Walker - I don't recall the sources for all the parts; I think it's done Hawkeye hair, Dr. Connors arms, and Captain Stacy's shirt. And, of course, old school Professor X's Wheelchair.

20141116_220742_1.jpg

20141116_220719_1.jpg

#3 Blackout - using a Jungle Duke head, Firefly vest and goggles, Cobra Trooper legs, wrist guards from a different Firefly, a rifle from Zartan, and a trimmed down ammo belt, I was able to create a reasonable stand in for the Joe-washout-turned-Cobra-Sniper

20141116_215126_1.jpg

#2 Galvatron - the Transformers: Prime First Edition Megatron is a great figure, but never looked like Megatron to me. Add the orange gun barrel and crown from Generations Galvatron - as well as some purple paint, however - and you have a pretty damned fine Galvatron

Edited by Mnemosis

#1 this one's a cheat, since it's a group...

20141116_214951.jpg

20141116_215027.jpg

The Decepticons - from left to right: Ravage, Lazerbeak, Soundwave, Megatron, Shockwave, and Starscream

Ravage was a female Imperial officer head on a Black Widow body with all sorts of assorted armaments. The grappling hook gun came from a MiB figure and a Batman figure. The throwing knives come from an assortment of varied Joes. The gas grenades and earpiece are off of a Snake Eyes, though the ear piece was part of some night vision goggles.

Lazerbeak was an aerial attack drone from the Data Viper.

Soundwave, based loosely on a combination of G1 and TF: Prime, is a Viper head on an Arctic Destro body. The Backpack was modified from a Crimson Guard and a Data Viper.

Megatron uses Major Bludd as a base with Resolute Roadblock's head, a Resolute Trooper helmet, Bazooka's signature weapon, and a heavily modified assault rifle to resemble a beefed up version of Megatron's alt mode

Shockwave is a Battle Android Trooper with a Cyber Ninja head. Green stuff was used to reshape the torso window and the left arm uses the barrel of a standard issue Cobra laser rifle.

Finally, Starscream is a Baroness body with heavily modded Strato-Viper head, legs, and harness. The null ray gauntlets come from Wraith with the same laser rifles as used on Shockwave. The jetpack was prevalent through the 25th anniversary releases, though here it was heavily modded to accept the wings from the Starscream Mighty Mugg.

Damn. That Yelena is boss. One of my most wanted figures, in any line.

Yeah, plus I just upgraded her with that nice IM2 Widow belt, cause I liked that style.

And lol, you need to dust all your stuff cause damn.

YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER! ! !

Edited by Mnemosis

I did mean Minimates, but it's not like I'm the thread police. laugh.png Maybe everybody can show their top five Minimate and non-Minimate customs? I literally have one non-Minimate custom: a JLU Hal Jordan headcasting that I painted. So I probably won't show that....

I have a few only, but I don't think they really count as customs since it's swap pieces only.

Balrog (Street Fighter) - WIP - I need to finish him yet.

post-9820-0-28821100-1416236407_thumb.jp

Heimdall (comics version) - new head, a Wolverine movie.

post-9820-0-94572800-1416236431_thumb.jp

Neo (Matrix) - Esker from Resident Evil with a new hair. I updated him with new skin color hands.

post-9820-0-90973300-1416236477_thumb.jp

Buuut I already made one single custom a long time ago.

Jakeem Thunder & Thunderbolt from Justice Society of America. I made Jakeem using a Billy Batson action figure from SHAZAM Series (DC Direct) and a friend made Thundebolt using The Flash from Kingdom Come.

post-9820-0-29590600-1416236722_thumb.jp

post-9820-0-24915100-1416236747_thumb.jp

post-9820-0-16045700-1416236771_thumb.jp

So Im cheating here.

I work on customs in sets and for me to choose 5 favorites would just be picking my favorite set of customs. So Ive picked my 5 favorite sets, and then picked my favorite of the set to be favorite mate listed, although Im going to take a picture of all of them because thats how I roll, I cant choose a favorite baby.

Number Five....

MovieBlade_zps19b1782d.jpg

Movie Blade!

Starting things off is a quick custom (original Blade with Curse of the X-Men Blades torso and Mark 2 War Machines head) that is the only one I did make as part of a set, hes at home among the Walking Dead, the Universal Monsters, and both the comic and cinematic minimates.

Number Four...

WilliamFGuile_zps3a420016.jpg

Colonel William F. Guile

I have my fair share of problems with how DST handled the Capcom lines, from character selection to scale, butI wont deny the supply of new pieces the lines created was vital to allowing me to create versions of my favorite characters I could be happy with... I picked Guile because Im really happy with how his dog tags turned out (also let it be known that the flesh on him, Sagat, and Zangief do match the official paints better in real life, they just photograph VERY poorly.)

Number Three...

GDBatman_zps0cf748bd.jpg

The Goddamn Batman

All-Star Batman is a collection of parts to make him bigger then a standard minimate (Duckfeet, a riser under the belt, movie hulk chest) because I dont like 16 year old girls being as tall as Batman. Im really happy with how the shading turned out on him, I think it mimics Scott Williams inking style fairly well.

Number Two...

SuperFriendsSamurai_zps60df5c4a.jpg

Super Friends Samurai

After I found out I could make a pretty nice Apache Chief and El Dorado as quick customs (Black Lightning, eh, not so much Im not sure how to fix him) I *needed* Samurai to go with them. Im really happy with the smoothness of the paint on his... tunic? I guess is the word for his top.

And Dr Bagheads Number One Most Favorite Custom He Made For Himself Is....

drumroll

TruelyOutrageous_zps9753d0e7.jpg

Brave and the Bold Aquaman!

After my success in painting Samurais tunic, I realized my first attempt at tB&tB Aquaman http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Dr.Baghead/customs/bbaqua5a.jpg was utter garbage I could no longer live with. Using new parts that had just come out at the time I Mega Raged his upper torso to give him the heroic chest of his animated counter part while sculpting a more accurate championship belt style buckle, I also found a tiny dolphin so he need no longer adventure without his trusty pal, Fluke... truly he is one OUTRAGEOUS custom, no?

edit: ugh, just work coding...

Edited by dr baghead

But why is Apache Chief wearing pants?

“funny" answer: After the incident with the coffee he decided he wasn’t taking anymore chances letting the buffalo roam free and wild.

real answer: I didn’t have any legs that matched his flesh tone so he was forced to wear pants.

I want that Harley, bad...

I thought I had uploaded the decal, but I can’t find it. I’ll look for the file and re-upload it (other than the decal it’s just a Power Girl hair piece with the pigtails sculpted on)

Yeah, now I want a Sugar man. Has he popped up lately in any comics? I can't recall the last time I have seen him show up.

I THINK he was last seen in Uncanny X-Force? As part of the whole Dark Beast/AoA story arc?

I only have 3 so far

3 & 2

2w6xjlz.jpg

2vxlkk1.jpg

Bad. Ass.

Sorry, not X-Force. The series that spun out of X-Force that starred Stryker as a hero, what the heck was that?

Oh, right... Age of Apocalypse. Duh.

2w6xjlz.jpg

I know I don’t need to quote with image, I could just say “nice Hellboy and Abe!” and you’d get it, but this is such a nice set of figures it needs to be repeated as much as possible. Mignola shading always impresses me and these are two of the best examples of it.