UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C2E2 2015 (April 24 - 26)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone provide me a dime tour on what c2e2 has become?

I lived in northern IN and was there for its first show, and 2nd, moved away, and have always wanted to get back, love this time of year there, and downtown chi can be a blast.

Stopped going to cons, because the lines, and crowds are just not worth it to me anymore. But I think I'd try c2e2 again with my friends up north.

I've only been to two different conventions multiple times, so I'll give my thoughts based on C2E2 and WW Chicago.

The first year of C2E2 felt really different than the WW-Chicago conventions I had been to. It seemed more comic oriented, it was in the Lakeshore building so it was gorgeous, lots of room, didn't feel overly crowded.

Since then it has slowly gotten closer to what WW Chicago is. Still seems way better, but it seems more like just any comic convention with all the celebrities, etc. Seems to have gotten more crowded, which is a good thing in the long run I guess. Still way cheaper than WW Chicago, but I can feel that changing too. The first 3 years on Kids day my daughters was able to get sketches from a bunch of people, but as she gets older and the show gets busier she isn't having as much luck.

I really want it back in the Lakeshore building!

I've only been to two different conventions multiple times, so I'll give my thoughts based on C2E2 and WW Chicago.

The first year of C2E2 felt really different than the WW-Chicago conventions I had been to. It seemed more comic oriented, it was in the Lakeshore building so it was gorgeous, lots of room, didn't feel overly crowded.

Since then it has slowly gotten closer to what WW Chicago is. Still seems way better, but it seems more like just any comic convention with all the celebrities, etc. Seems to have gotten more crowded, which is a good thing in the long run I guess. Still way cheaper than WW Chicago, but I can feel that changing too. The first 3 years on Kids day my daughters was able to get sketches from a bunch of people, but as she gets older and the show gets busier she isn't having as much luck.

I hear ya, that first year was quite nice lakeside

I'd agree with Jeff - the first year was really unique. Even the second wasn't bad; more like WW but still has its own flavor. Now it just feels like WW done right. Which still makes it a great con, don't get me wrong, but if you're feeling burnt out on the scene, this won't change your mind

I have only gone to the last three C2E2 events and they have been great, if you can get through the Chicago construction traffic. I only have two other experiences which to compare it, and both of those were tiny and over 15 years ago!

I have loved going to the DST booth and chatting with Zach at C2E2. The few panels I have wanted to attend I have been able to, with only one exception. I have gotten to meet a lot of cool celebrities; autographs are a little high, but this year I pretty much got to walk up to Stan Lee and the rest of the celebrities I wanted to meet. And the prices are reasonable: a 3 day pass to C2E2 was cheaper than going for three days to a WW con in my home city - the first year they offered it here!

And it wasn't that crowded. Even on Saturday, the busiest day, it was still relatively easy to get around on the floor.

I saw try it out next year for the multiverse 10th anniversary. See if you want to keep coming back.

No, no marketing at the booth either.

If the plan is still for the 10th Anniversary MMMV meet-up next year at C2E2 with families/kids present, I would recommend getting hotel rooms closer to Water Tower Place. My wife and I stayed at the Marriott (Magnificent Mile) and it was well within walking distance to all of the great restaurants and shops in the area.

The Essex was a nice hotel last year, but it was a little too remote.

Just something to consider.

Yup! Zach said he wasn't sure where they found it, but he had it so he put it out. I thinks I saw a few of those go.

Sponge bob was out, they didn't even sell a full case of those and no one wanted the variant set.

Aliens and Avengers seemed to sell well and I know the Pulp Fiction stuff got refilled a few times too.

I would like to try and go next year. C2E2 sounds like nice smaller con than something like NYCC or SDCC, and Houston's local con (while growing, since we are getting Stan Lee, Jeremy Renner, the cast of Gotham, some AoS people, Rosario Dawson, and Summer Glau, plus Peter David and some other good writers/artists) still has a ways to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my take...

Pretty sure I've touched on this several times around here in other threads, as the subject has come up. But I like ranting about it, so here I go again...

I’ve been going to Chicago Comic-Con/Wizard World Chicago since I was a boy. Young enough to get in free. And I’m 30 now. Only missed a year here and there, as I might have been out of state or something.

I’ve also gone to C2E2 every year since it started (What are we at like 5 or 6 now? I don’t even know…)

I do not at all believe C2E2, as it is currently, is the same, or even close to the same as what WW Chicago is, currently. It’s light-years better.

I DO believe… that C2E2, currently, is very similar to what WWC was a decade ago, which I think is a good place for it to be, to be honest.

I don’t have a very clear memory of “The Great Chicago Comic-Con” (before Wizard bought it) from my childhood. I just remember my dad taking me, and haggling with vendors to buy me X-Men toys I couldn’t find at the store, amongst the 100 peg-warming Longshots, Saurons and Ahabs. If I wanted Rogue, I had to get her at the con. So “It had vendor booths” is the depth of my recollection, lol…

I do however, remember Wizard World Chicago in my teens/twenties. This… to my memory, is the heyday of Chicago Cons. It had a good representation from both small business vendors (as any con does) and big business. Marvel, DC, Hasbro, Mattel, Wizkids, Mezco, Diamond… many others, would all have booths. And the big vendors brought CON EXCLUSIVES! Something Chicago Cons haven’t had for almost a decade now. We used to have dozens every year. I miss them dearly. This was when Wizard World was at its best. It had decent celebrity meet and greets, but autographs were usually free, and the con wasn’t over-saturated with 200 Celebs charging $50-$200 bucks a pop for an autograph/photoshoot. There were panels I wanted to go to, even if I wasn’t up on the current day geekdom: One dedicated to nothing but upcoming movie trailers I hadn’t seen. Kevin Smith telling jokes/stories. Star Wars Panel (an official one, w/ Lucas Reps, not just a ho-hum one). Marvel Trivia (for prizes!). Speaking of prizes… I loved the Wizard Wheel. Answer a Trivia Question. Spin the Wheel. Win a Prize. Small detail, but a fun one I looked forward to every year.

I’m pretty sure I even remember Zach’s face working that wheel back in those days, though back then I had no idea who he was.

Then as I understand it (and I admit, this is just what I’ve heard, I don’t know hard facts) the story goes… Wizard was bought-out. The new owners wanted to do things their own way. And they quickly lost business and support from most of the industry. And now Wizard World is the crapfest that exists today. Marvel and DC did panels for 1 year after the new owners took over, no booth, but still panels. They flat out said, “We think it’s important for you, the fans, to still have a presence at the con.” I didn’t know of behind the scenes politics at the time, but apparently that important presence had died off by the next year, where they were completely absent. No big business Vendors come anymore. I think Diamond was actually one of the last to bail, to their credit, I think they did 2 or 3 more years after the switch. Celebrities still come, but you’re paying money to see them. Panels might as well not exist, imo. Maybe 1 or 2 of interest, if they can convince one of the bigger celebrities to talk for a while. The con is 50% Celebs charging money, and 50% vendors. I still go every year, but basically just to shop at the vendor booths. Because it’s 10 minutes from my house.

The decline of WWC, as we all know, gave rise to C2E2. That first year, I totally agree, C2E2 was quieter. Less crowded. But… there was also less to do imo. They had half as many vendors as WWC, and of those, some were largely unrelated, like… candy companies. They didn’t have the support to draw any major celebrity or panel presence yet. The first couple years, the biggest draws were the cast of Kick-Ass, before the movie premiered, while they were still unknowns, and the next (or previous?) was Chris Hemsworth, again, Pre-Thor’s release, while he was still unknown. This was good in that there was no horde of $50 autograph celebs, but bad in that… it made things a big ho-hum. You want SOME celebrity presence. I think you need a good balance for a good con. *Shrug* C2E2 however, had some of the big booths that had abandoned WWC. Marvel, DC, Diamond. Still no major toy companies. I miss the toy companies. What I wouldn’t give for Hasbro and Mattel to make a triumphant return to Chicago cons. (Because we still have no exclusives).

Still, C2E2 has improved its shortcomings by leaps and bounds over the last few years. Their Panel and Celebrity presence has been upped significantly (They have Kevin Smith now, which I love, lol). As has the amount and quality of their vendor booths. They feel up to par now, after struggling to get themselves going a bit the first year or two. The $50 celebrities have trickled in a little, but they’re at least not taking up 50% of the con, like WW. It's much closer to what WW was in the good old days, than the crapfest that is current WW. Current WW sucks, and doesn't feel like it cares that it sucks. C2E2 feels like the con organizers are at least trying to put on a good con, even if it's not the best I've ever attended.

My biggest complaint about either con is still no con exclusives. Frankly I miss them. I want them. I know people who can’t attend get cranky, but for those who do, they’re a perk that I miss. It was explained to me at some point that, C2E2 doesn’t get exclusives because it’s early summer, and companies basically don't start turning their creative design wheels until mid-summer for SDCC. WWC was after San Diego, and would often get a healthy selection of its own exclusives (even if only repaints), Shared Exclusives, with other midsummer cons, AND leftover San Diego exclusives. I’d scoop up the leftover SDCC exclusives every year at WWC. But C2E2 gets none of that. That killed one of my biggest motivations to come to cons. Now I also have to order all my exclusives online at a markup, and I hate it.

Meanwhile, WWC also gets no exclusives anymore because, none of the big vendors come. Oh sure, you might find a SDCC exclusive on one of the vendor booths at a 600% markup... but... generally you don't want to pay that. Can buy it cheaper online (if I haven't already by that point).

My biggest hope for C2E2 in the coming years is the return of companies like Hasbro and Mattel, and the exclusives they bring. But… there are some who fight this kind of thing too. Don’t want toys. Don’t want celebs. “Make it all about the comics!” they say … I like all three. Comics alone, make for a boring con, imo. *Shrug* Bring on all the geekdom, imo. BUT anyway, who knows if that will ever happen.

My second biggest complaint about C2E2 is I HATE that it’s in the city proper. With a firey passion. It’s more expensive, and a bigger pain in the ass to get to and from. WWC was and still is, O’Hare adjacent, and 10 minutes from my house. But the out-of-towners, and con-organizers, like to put it in the city, because to them it’s more fun, more of a draw. It’s “Visit Chicago!” not “Visit the suburbs of Chicago!” … but to me it’s just a pain in the ass. I see Chicago all the time. I prefer WWC’s 10 minute drive to having to get up at the buttcrack of dawn and take a train to and from the city 3 days in a row. > : P

Alright, nearly 2 pages, *High Five* /endrant

*No one is going to read this... TLDR...*

Edited by Gillbob316

Yup, I used to work the Wheel of Doom at the Wizard booth. I must have worked WWC around a half-dozen times between 2000 and 2007. I think we even did a Twisted ToyFare signing as an experiment, when our first collection came out. I was also in the Dr. Doom costume half the time.

We start working on SDCC con exclusives well before C2E2, they take just as much time to develop. But not having exclusives at C2E2 is less due to timing and more due to sales history. HIstorically, I think, it has not been a big sales show for us, even when we had exclusives there. Not sure recent shows have changed our minds, but I'm sure we'll keep looking at the numbers and seeing what's realistic. Until then, we'll keep bringing previously released, hard-to-find exclusive sets to the show.