UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Movie slate until 2020

Kostisfire

I can see Ezra Miller as Morpheus in a Sandman film but not as Flash. That's just some really disappointing casting right there.

You can certainly tell Jeff Robinov is out of the picture at WB. None of these would have been greenlit under him. The new powers that be are certainly being aggressive. I just hope they do things right.

Still trying to figure out how they could get Black Adam SO right and Flash SO wrong.

Im usually open to crazy casting, and I do think Ezra is a great actor; but after seeing Grant as The Flash, there is no way I can imagine someone else donning the suit.

At this point I cant trust DC and their dates; they confirmed a Flash movie to be released in 2014/2015 at Comic-con 2013 {Look what happened there}, They also have shifted the dates on Batman V. Supes a couple of times now.

Also, why wait 6 years for the Cyborg movie? That is quite a ways off....

Seriously, that was an impossible date to hit with NO production started on the film and Man of Steel just hitting theaters. I honestly don't recall anyone from the studio confirming that as their target. I'm pretty sure it was a Wall Street Journal reporter who clearly knew nothing about the process of making films.

I'm pretty sure they had confirmed an August 2015 release date before they moved to May. As I recall, Ant-Man claimed it's vacated spot. This is also, what, the third list of release dates to be floated about? And they've still yet to prove they know how to do anything but Batman right.

I could be wrong about the August 2015 date, and DC/WB could pull it off, but I'm just not convinced.

Edited by Glantern

There's every reason to be skeptical, that's for sure. Studios do a lot of shuffling but this schedule is really... wow. I know they're filling voids left by Harry Potter and Tolkien flicks but, boy, this is a lot to chew.

Now I'm starting to worry about superhero oversaturation. Marvel Studios has two films a year. DC's attempting the same. That doesn't count Columbia (Spidey & Villains), Fox (FF & X-Men), and whatever other genre films try to find a home on the calendar.

One other bit of news I found promising; HBO will be offering a streaming service for its content. Viewers will no longer need cable to watch HBO series and movies. What I've yet to see anyone mention is that this could be for DC properties what Netflix is for Marvel's. My dream of a live-action Batman HBO series – unhindered by broadcast network rules – may actually become a reality. :D

Im usually open to crazy casting, and I do think Ezra is a great actor; but after seeing Grant as The Flash, there is no way I can imagine someone else donning the suit.

At this point I cant trust DC and their dates; they confirmed a Flash movie to be released in 2014/2015 at Comic-con 2013 {Look what happened there}, They also have shifted the dates on Batman V. Supes a couple of times now.

Also, why wait 6 years for the Cyborg movie? That is quite a ways off....

It will take them that long to get anyone to care about Cyborg.

hellpop, on 15 Oct 2014 - 15:13, said:

It will take them that long to get anyone to care about Cyborg.

Cyborg has millions of fans, unfortunately they all of the jokey Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go version of the character so they’ll be very turned off by a grimdark movie with no Beast Boy where he doesn’t say “Booyah” even once.

Seriously. I'm waiting for the announcement of casting for the live-action Batman HBO series.

You know, to utterly undermine both Affleck's movie role and the success of Gotham.

One thing Robinov was very concerned about was consumer confusion. For example, he wasn't real keen on Aquaman showing up on Smallville because WB might do an Aquaman movie.

On one hand, you've got a core consumer base that's used to seeing variations of their favorite characters across different media, from multiple comic book titles and video games to cartoons and toys. I was raised on comics and cartoons and understood a long time ago that Adam West's Batman was not Super Friend's Batman and neither of those were Detective Comics' Batman.

But when you're trying to draw in the unconditioned mass market, consumer confusion can be a problem. I'm convinced that Marvel's The Incredible Hulk would have performed better if it had distanced itself more from Universal's prior Hulk film. Not enough people understood that this was a different take on the character. Even Batman Begins had to overcome the previous films so that The Dark Knight could become the box office juggernaut it was.

Now we're talking about multiple live-action incarnations of these characters presumably existing at the same time. The TV versions will be on The CW and Fox and NBC while the movie versions will be in theaters. Comic fans won't have a problem with it (for the most part) but I expect everyone else to scratch their heads at least a little bit.

Now we're talking about multiple live-action incarnations of these characters presumably existing at the same time. The TV versions will be on The CW and Fox and NBC while the movie versions will be in theaters. Comic fans won't have a problem with it (for the most part) but I expect everyone else to scratch their heads at least a little bit.

It certainly isn't helping DC's case to see how Marvel is tying their TV properties (AoS, Agent Carter, and the upcoming Netflix shows) to the MCU.

I had a fun conversation last night in trying to explain to a friend who is still convinced that Arrow and Flash are tie ins to Man of Steel... and especially at this point, it's hard to argue that the evidence doesn't seem to exclude the possibility of a crossover with those specific properties (no mention of Batman or Superman in the shows, but plenty of references to things they're connected to, like last night's nod to Bludhaven) ...

It will be even more confusing when Supergirl debuts (Especially if they decide that that one show is the only one tied to the DC movie universe. not likely, but still, a potential detractor if they went that route).

I get that they don't want to look like they're copying Marvel, but this may not be the best alternate course.

On a slightly related note, have we heard yet if Gotham is connected to Arrow/Flash?

Edited by Donny B

Flash has made mention of Wayne Industries merging with Queen Consolidated in the future. It's an Easter egg but they're at least leaving the door open.

I've read no official mention of Gotham sharing continuity with other shows yet, just that it isn't tied to films. Since it's a prequel I don't see why it couldn't crossover. I wouldn't mind seeing members of the JSA appear on Gotham and be alluded to on Flash. (Jay Garrick leaps to mind.)

On a slightly related note, have we heard yet if Gotham is connected to Arrow/Flash?

As MisterPL said, they have hinted at the merge of Wayne industries and Queen consolidated. All the shows do appear to be on good terms together, at comic con all the shows; Arrow, Flash, Constantine, and Gotham all shared a 5 hour panel together. The time period of Gotham seems to be early 2000's with the flip phones and TV's shown; So they could bring in somewhat aged versions of James Gordon and Co.

I've heard/read several theories and ideas on how they could be connected, but nothing official (in fact, I remember reading somewhere recently that one of the show runners insisted that Gotham is a separate universe. but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Circumstances could change easily). The Wayne Industries/Queen Consolidated thing could just be a nod to comic fans and not mean anything relevant. Or it could. Who knows at this point...

But my bigger thought is this: Gotham's time period is a point of massive confusion for myself and a couple of my friends. There are little things like certain articles of clothing that fit more with the last couple years, but then there are things like the TV's, computer monitors, desk phones/lamps, and some of the cars that makes us think it's more of a late 80's/early 90's setting. Then there was the mayor's presentation in episode 4 that was done with printouts on easels (I can remember even in the late 90's that big presentations like that were almost always done with projectors)... but then the photo journalists at that press event had DSLRs.
There are a thousand little things that seem to contradict themselves, and the conclusion we came to is that the aim seems to be timelessness - trying to give the impression of a setting that was back in the day, but to keep some modern touches so it still feels relevant, if only on a subconscious level (because relevance helps the audience feel more connected to the story. Thinking that you're watching something from before your time can lead to a bit of disconnect and a subsequent lack of interest in the characters, etc).

Or we could be completely wrong turned.gif

Gotham is too ass-backwards to connect with anything, including its own episodes

The Flash/Arrow universe is already more promising than the DC cinematic universe

Superman vs Batman will be successful, hopefully it is a good film to validate all these other announced films

also you say 2015 was ridiculous for SVB well i say 2016 is ridiculous for Suicide Squad

I am 99% sure Suicide Squad is DC's attempt to capture the lightning in a bottle that was Guardians

I want to go on record that i want all of these films to be fantastic and will see all of them in theaters and support DC but I have very VERY little confidence that any of these other than SVB will be in theaters on the planned release dates and I could see half of them cancelled or changed drastically in a years time

you'd think DC would have learned from Marvel's bad press surrounding Antman that you dont announce something you arent ready to deliver on

I haven't noticed any lapses in continuity on Gotham yet.

But I totally agree on The Flash and Arrow. I'd be perfectly content if CW announced a Batman series that had nothing to do with Gotham or any feature films. A Caped Crusader that shared a world with that Scarlet Speedster and Emerald Archer would be just fine by me.

You may be right about Suicide Squad. No one remembers The Losers, apparently. I don't know how effects-intensive a movie like that would be compared to BvS (less, I'd expect) but this whole schedule seems rushed.

Suicide Squad shouldn't even be remotely like Guardians of the Galaxy. The latter are made up of good guys deep down, who are misfits and have various character traits/flaws that lead to fun situations. The former are hardened villains. Scum bags. Only acting together out of threat of of death or prolonged incarceration. Like the Dirty Dozen but even darker, with multiple Telly Savalas types. Considering how gloomy and depressing the Snyderverse seems to be thus far, I can see that as being the closest they will come to approximating GOTG. But still, it's so damn different that I can't imagine they hope to reach the same audience with a similar kind of wacky movie filled with fun-loving, only superficially misanthropic super pals. If they wanted to capture GOTG's audience, they should have attempted Justice League International. If GOTG isn't a live action love letter to those comics, then I don't know what could be.

Edited by karamazov80

If they did, I would take back every horrible thing I've said about Man of Steel and beg their forgiveness. I wouldn't even care if they were going for a "gritty and realistic" G'Nort.

Edited by karamazov80