UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Thing Minimate

buttheadsmate

The pics I've seen of the very latest Beast minimate puts the other versions into the shade IMHO ,the new version looking great in every respect . There are many others characters that have similarly been 'cracked' /perfected ...............but not the Thing.

I really wish we could have a definitive version of the Thing & it's all about his head & whatever that is that sits upon it . I'm all for the ethos of interchangeability of Minimates but has anyone here actually used either Thing's head or Thing's head-thingy on any other Minimate ? I'm guessing somebody will say 'Yes!' & I can guess who but surely these two parts can be substituted for a single moulded piece which completely matches the colour & texture of the rest of the guy ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Thing is the one weird character that I agree Minimates haven't been able to fully do justice yet. My favorite Hulk is the Defenders version, which I think is just about perfect. But the Thing I use on display is still this one: http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=33&n=Thing Not sure why I don't care for the others, but that one I linked to has some real charm, and the face screams Kirby, even if he's very small.

It's the brow.

The original is still my favorite when it comes to portrait. As you can see here, many of the headpieces don't sit low enough on the head or the face tampos aren't high enough and it ends up looking like a knit hat.

I do like the bulked up "Best of" Thing but that body could either benefit from a wash to make those sculpted details pop or just go full tampo over a smooth sculpt.

Or maybe he needs a fully sculpted head to go with the fully sculpted body? Either way they're not mixing well.

The issue with a sculpted head piece for Thing, for me, is a question of aesthetics vs. uniformity. Beast is a perfect example - could a Jim Lee Beast look even better with a fully sculpted head? Sure. But do you lose the Minimate charm when you do that? I'm not opposed to bulked up figures, torso risers, or micro mates like Rocket and Snarf, so I guess it's odd to draw the line at sculpted heads, buuuut... I'm just never sure where I fall on this matter

I remember there was one Thing fig a while back where they had prototype pics with a new sculpted brow, and when it came out they used the original again because it was over cost or something and I was really disappointed. I've never really liked that first brow piece and after looking at the database link I can't believe its still being used today.

I think my fave so far would be the wave 37 thing, and Im going to put the powerhouse thing brow on him. I think that would look good.

I just want a consistent look from head to toe. If they can offer a fully sculpted body, offer a fully sculpted noggin. If they can offer a tampo'd face and brow, offer a tampo'd body.

I think I'm going to get an extra "Best of" Thing and add black line work to the sculpted details to see how it looks.

You know... someday.

If you look back in that thread, somebody (YB maybe?) did that with a Gundam marker and it turned out very well.

Totally off topic, but what happened to your avatar Rob? It's disconcerting to see that blank placeholder under your name.

How much different would a sculpted Thing head really be? It's already very close to the shape it is. The only difference I could see would be a sculpted jaw/mouth.

I dunno, I only like sculpting when the head is so inhuman that there is no other choice, Lizard, Brood, Beta Ray Bill, etc.

Edited by bigvis497

If you look back in that thread, somebody (YB maybe?) did that with a Gundam marker and it turned out very well.

Totally off topic, but what happened to your avatar Rob? It's disconcerting to see that blank placeholder under your name.

I was about to mention the Gundam marker thing. It was Nervous' work. I think it looks great- in fact, when presented like that, I don't think thing needs a sculpted head at all.

He's my favorite Marvel character...

I've found that Transforming Thing with swapping out the blue/black crotch from the series 37 one is the best version.

To solve the brow/eye issue I glue them together to fit perfectly. Of course, I also own 7 of the figure...

That said, I'm still unhappy with the hump on the torso cover's shoulders.

Edited by Mystery Man

Transforming thing is great, but when I see Thing in a comic, there's lots of black lines showing off his rocks. And transforming thing is missing that and looks a little too bright without it. But if 37 had ben grimm parts underneath with a matching orange and the powerhouse thing brow, I thinks I'd have a new favorite.