UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC News & Updates

thereasonsy

First image from the new Daredevil series.

Ok at first I panic'd as it reminded of the daredevil from the Hulk TV movie years ago. I dont read daredevil but it seems this is based of a comic look "Man Without Fear" suit which I guess a kinda daredevil year one thing.

I would say the series would build to the red suit not just go all out first episodes.

Daredevil-Netflix-Charlie-Cox-Costume.jp

Since I don't collect movie waves, more waves based on tv shows or movies mean less comics waves, which makes me terribly sad, but I guess you can't please everybody all the time...

Since I don't collect movie waves, more waves based on tv shows or movies mean less comics waves, which makes me terribly sad, but I guess you can't please everybody all the time...

that is me 100 percent I may have been here while but the 616 non love kills me at times and for minimates thats the linch pin IMO

an before some one screams the next waves are X and 616 styled. To me its now the exeception then the norm now

that is me 100 percent I may have been here while but the 616 non love kills me at times and for minimates thats the linch pin IMO

an before some one screams the next waves are X and 616 styled. To me its now the exeception then the norm now

If I'm not mistaken, this year we had more waves based on movies than on comics, right? My pocket never felt so glad, but what about ?! lol

Series 54/TRU 18 – Captain America (comic)

Series 55 – The Winter Soldier (movie)

Series 56/TRU – Amazing Spider-Man 2 (movie)

Series 57/TRU – Guardians of the Galaxy (movie)

Series 58 – Days of Future Past (movie)

Series 59 – All-New X-Men (comics)

Series 3 – Best of (comics)

Yeah, we've definitely had more comic assortments. (Four in a row!) However, if you add the SDCC Days of Future Past and Luke's Deadly Foes of Spider-Man boxed sets, we've had more comic Minimates. (And that doesn't include the X-Force and Zombie Villains expected to hit before the end of the year.)

Series 54/TRU 18 Captain America (comic)

Series 55 The Winter Soldier (movie)

Series 56/TRU Amazing Spider-Man 2 (movie)

Series 57/TRU Guardians of the Galaxy (movie)

Series 58 Days of Future Past (movie)

Series 59 All-New X-Men (comics)

Series 3 Best of (comics)

Yeah, we've definitely had more comic assortments. (Four in a row!) However, if you add the SDCC Days of Future Past and Luke's Deadly Foes of Spider-Man boxed sets, we've had more comic Minimates. (And that doesn't include the X-Force and Zombie Villains expected to hit before the end of the year.)

You mean we had more movie waves, right?

I was just talking about waves, not boxsets.

I think we've said this year was the exception not the rule, Danii and Minifiend. It was movie-heavy, so there were more movie Minimates than usual. BUT there will be more comic Minimates overall. TRU 19 should hopefully be out before the end of the year. 36 to 35. If you don't want to count the FIVE comic box sets, that's fine, but I think this is far from "non-love". Plus, 60 AND 61 are shaping up to be comic waves next year, so 2015 should at least start strong. Well see how things go after that.

Speaking as somebody else who laments over the lack of comic waves this year due to all the movie waves, I think there is another element to the discussion. That is that even if the number of actual comic as opposed to movie minimates released is similar, the vast increase in movie waves means that by the time the "heavy hitters" and redos of suddenly prominent "movie stars" are factored in there are much fewer spaces left for new characters, and as a long time collector that is what I want to see.

That may sound a little harsh having just had the excellent wave 60 revealed, but if you look at this year as a whole we will have had two new characters since wave 54 back in January, and one of those is thane who, with all due respect, probably wasn't high on many wishlists. Clearly if the line can only keep going in that format then it's preferable to no new marvel minimates at all, but it is very different to how the line started out - as classic comic based - and to what attracted me to it.

Thus, going back to Danni's original point (I think! lol), if we do end up getting waves from the Netflix shows, the potential problem with that for the "comic" fans is that it will just add to the movie waves and thus reduce the comic waves further.

Having said all of that I understand Zach's point that this year was the exception rather than the rule, and I'm liking the sound of 61 being comic based as well as 60. Personally I'm rooting for some new classic avengers and their villains!

Thus, going back to Danni's original point (I think! lol), if we do end up getting waves from the Netflix shows, the potential problem with that for the "comic" fans is that it will just add to the movie waves and thus reduce the comic waves further.

Having said all of that I understand Zach's point that this year was the exception rather than the rule, and I'm liking the sound of 61 being comic based as well as 60. Personally I'm rooting for some new classic avengers and their villains!

Yeap, that's what I was talking about. Anyway, I also desconsidered boxsets because the number of figures you get on a full wave ia obviously higher.

Even though I lament what happened this year, I still think DST does an excepcional job recreating real actors into minimates. Having less waves to buy allowed me to chase and spend my pennies on some rare and expensive figures that were missing in my collection, like Archangel, X-Factor's Angel.... to name a few.

I hope next year we get a wave focused on the new costume designs for the Avengers... but I still hope we have the chance to get some of the new designs for the X-Men as well... like Cyclops, Storm...

I can't help thinking the movie waves are being used as excuses to put out more comic waves. We had two Cap assortments and three X-Men offerings, two based on DOFP (comic and film). I don't know if Luke's Spidey exclusive was serendipitously timed to coincide with the ASM sequel but I don't think it hurt. Now we're getting more GotG 'mates and they're probably based on the comic (even though I'd be happy to add the movie versions to my collection as well).

I'm sure the Netflix series influenced the line up of "Best of" Series 3 and it's those evergreen assortment that will continue to be the gateway for new Minimates collectors to jump on board. That is until DST decides to offer "Best of" assortments based on movies but that doesn't seem likely. Comics are the bread and butter. Movies still seem to be the icing on the cake.