Valiant Minimates

Lobsterman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like some backstory for the characters. Am I missing something?

No, I mean “what is this?!” in “what is the meaning behind this shoddy art?!”

It’s like it couldn’t decide if it was going to be realistic or minimates and decided to just split the difference and be the worst aspects of both.

Yeah, the "people" who did the Minimates comic covers is Barry Bradfield, the lead Minimate designer. Many of our posters were done by Barry and Uriel Caton, our lead Minimate artist. They are both pretty busy actually designing Minimates, and Valiant was willing to do it. So we get a Minimates strip done by actual Valiant creators. I think it's pretty cool. The alternative was a strip done NOT in the Minimates style, which still would have been cool, or no strip, which is less cool.

Valiant isn't the household name that Mavel and DC Comics are so I understand the desire for an introduction to these characters.

Personally and professionally, I tend to go with people's strengths so if I couldn't get someone who could render Minimates well, I'd have had them render what they do best. This gets the job done but the execution is lacking, possibly due to the skill of the artists (not every artist's comfortable drawing everything) or possibly due to a rushed timeline. As it is, the strip tries to represent both Valiant and the Minimates brand but does neither the justice each deserves.

twocents.gif

When the line is canceled, and Minimates are long forgotten, you can blame this strip.

Actually, you can blame TRU and their terrible distribution at this point. But that is an entirely different discussion. I am super glad they order Minimates, but I am very not glad that they will not sell me any of them.

When the line is canceled, and Minimates are long forgotten, you can blame this strip.

Did your 8 year old nephew draw this strip so you take this all as a personal offense? I understand it's your job to sell the product but this Neitlichian level of over exaggeration doesn't put the best face forward

The comic is badly drawn, if the option is that or nothing, nothing isn't such a bad option... You could have at least made the insert smaller and put the digital download code on the inside instead of naked to the world on the back of the box where anyone can get the comics for FREE (not free with purchase, just free) by snapping a photo of the web address and code

Edited by dr baghead

• 2 weeks later...

I think Zach was just posting tongue-in-cheek, as was I.

Sorry Shanester, but I have to agree with dr baghead on this topic.

On too many occasions, this DST employee has responded to board members in a condescending manner just because he didn't agree with their opinion, which quite frankly is juvenile and pathetic.

Does the internet automatically thin everyone's skin, or are that many people really just devoid of a sense of humor?

I think of this message board as a hang out for friends. You know what my friends and I do? We joke around with each other. That's what Zach did. In response, DB got defensive and YOU have become down right churlish with your "juvenile and pathetic" comments.

Lighten up. We're talking about collecting stylized two inch tall action figures. You'd think maybe we could have some fun.