Valiant Minimates

Lobsterman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Retail at some stores. Check TRUs website and you can check which store has them in stock.

My local stores don't carry it, so had to order from TRU.com. Now I want another, fun set.

Finally found this set at the TRU by my mom's house. Nice 'mates, though like everybody else I'm disappointed by the lack of a helmet for X-O. I'm still shocked that TRU took these; the fact that I seemed to be the first one to take one off the pegs makes me doubt we will see another set there. But hopefully they do well enough so that we might get more at specialty. If the Valiant Minimate line ends up as X-O, Bloodshot, and Battle Damaged X-O and Bloodshot that will be quite a disappointment.

My 2 cents on this:

I got my set this Friday and these are some of the most well-made mates I've ever seen. Crisp details, no colour bleeding or rubbing off, vibrant colours and all around, there's a good balance between the classic minimate body and the sculpted pieces. I'd have liked a sculpted helmet and a sword, but I understand that budget cuts had to be made. I'll probably buy a second set when the BD one hits so that I can modify that X-O a bit (helmet, shoulder pads, more leg detailing), but as it stands, this is a really well made set.

As for the line's future, I really hope we get at least all the main characters (Ninjak, Rai, Geomancer, Eternal Warrior, Quantum&Woody, Shadowman, Archer&Armstrong, Ivar and Harada). Valiant is currently publishing some of the best books right now, which are miles ahead in front of both Marvel and DC. Heck, I reacently modified my pull list and I've got almost all Valiant titles and only a handful of Marvel/DC ones. IMHO, it deserves another shot and I'd hate for it to turn into another Sony/Calico/Invincible/Max type of deal. Mass Effect and this are my two favourite lines besides Mavel, and they're the only ones we haven't heard anything about concerning their continuation.

PS: My package contained some Alien(s) stuff as well, so while I was posing them X-O ended up next to a Xeno and it totally looked like a scene out of Metroid. I'll try to snap some AlienxValiant pics later, as they make for some pretty nice combinations.

Edited by Kostisfire

I'm not sure there's a lot of "balance" with this pack; it's pretty heavily tilted towards basic minimate. That's fine, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of confidence when you axe the only new parts that were planned, especially when they would have made such a difference.

This pack hasn't shown up at my closest TRU yet while everything else new has, so I assume it's not available to all stores. Besides Marvel boxsets, is there anything that lasted beyond one offering that wasn't available everywhere?

I'm not sure there's a lot of "balance" with this pack; it's pretty heavily tilted towards basic minimate. That's fine, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of confidence when you axe the only new parts that were planned, especially when they would have made such a difference.

This pack hasn't shown up at my closest TRU yet while everything else new has, so I assume it's not available to all stores. Besides Marvel boxsets, is there anything that lasted beyond one offering that wasn't available everywhere?

I was mainly thinking of Bloodshot but yeah, X-O is pretty basic. The upper body is just fine, but the legs seem like they're from a figure from 2007.

A helmet certainly wouldn't hurt, but I gave him an IM helmet w/out the faceplate, and it doesn't really blend well. You'd need to have sculpted shoulder pads and maybe boots and hands for it to look okay. As it stands, I think the tampoed face looks best.

I'd blame TRU 20% for their really strange distribution. Two stores in El Paso, TX but nothing within 50 miles of Orlando or Miami?

And I'd blame TRU 80% for continuing to use the wrong pictures online.

The specialty version should do a lot better with Bloodshot Reborn #1 dropping in April. If I were a comic shop owner, I'd try my best to have people purchasing both the comic and the Minimates set.

I snagged this set yesterday, and wish I had picked up a second set. Bloodshot is very cool and comes with plenty. The extra torso and arms really sell the set. X-O looks cool. The tampo came out really well on him, and they really needed to. I'm not sure why DST nixed his sword, but that was a mistake. I'm also not sure why DST opted to show off his sword in the mini comic. Seems weird to pinup something not available. Having him in hand, in actually fine with the tempo helmet, for the reasons Kostis pointed out. At any rate, I'm stoked to see more comic mates, especially ones so well done. This set isn't perfect, but aside from that conspicuously absent sword, it's pretty close.

New tooling was not possible with this set, for timing reasons. We didn't see the comic until it was too late. Sorry.

As for the line's future, I really hope we get at least all the main characters (Ninjak, Rai, Geomancer, Eternal Warrior, Quantum&Woody, Shadowman, Archer&Armstrong, Ivar and Harada). Valiant is currently publishing some of the best books right now, which are miles ahead in front of both Marvel and DC. Heck, I reacently modified my pull list and I've got almost all Valiant titles and only a handful of Marvel/DC ones. IMHO, it deserves another shot and I'd hate for it to turn into another Sony/Calico/Invincible/Max type of deal. Mass Effect and this are my two favourite lines besides Mavel, and they're the only ones we haven't heard anything about concerning their continuation.

...Didn't I say that we were working on a second two-pack? I'm pretty sure I did. Not sure if it'll be at TRU, but we'll see.

New tooling was not possible with this set, for timing reasons. We didn't see the comic until it was too late. Sorry.

...Didn't I say that we were working on a second two-pack? I'm pretty sure I did. Not sure if it'll be at TRU, but we'll see.

Yeah, I know, I'm just hoping that it goes beyond that. Sony was supossed to get a second 4-pack and it never materialized. Same for Calico Jack Wave 2. I also saw some Kratos concept art, though I don't know whether that was from Sony or something else (it was part of a prize someone won and posted on FB a few years back).

Either way, Valiant is getting more and more exposure (they just closed a deal with DMG, who was co-financed Looper and Iron Man 3, to produce block-busters, alongside their already in development movies with Sony) and I'd love for this to eventually turn into a full line with waves/box-sets. Granted, they don't have as many characters now to support such a line, but who knows what the future holds.

PS: What was the comic? I got mine loose and I didn't receive the code. Was it an already existing issue or something else?

Edited by Kostisfire

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my set from TRU.com, the mates are terrific (I have no clue who they are, but a vampire-looking Punisher called “Bloodshot” is just too fun not to own)

But WHAT. THE. HELL. is wrong with the little comic it comes with?

Why are the drawings so off model?!