UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No more Fantastic four Minimates/figures?

Mattallica

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two F4 movies at least got the characters right, 3/4 of the casting right, and the tone right.

This misses 100% of those marks.

Is that your takeaway from the teaser? I know there's a lot of pre-hate for this flick but I still don't see how so much of it is deserved, especially after finally seeing official footage and not leaked pics or sound bites taken out of context.

I actually kinda liked it. I'll have to see more, but with news of reshoots is Romania I think Doom will be reworked to look a bit more like the classic Vic, which was my major gripe with the movie. It's obvious that they're going with the Ultimate origin, which I prefer to the 616, so I'm in the camp which is hopeful that the film will be good. TBH, I'd buy a wave of minimates...

Yeah, this looks good to me. I'm not sure what's not Fantastic Four-y about it. It's got science. It's got adventure. It's got Reed Richards- and that shot of him walking on the scaffolding or whatever, looking amazed at whatever he's seeing, that looked like a great take on Reed to me- it's got Sue Storm, it's got Johnny Storm (apparently Sue is adopted in this. I think we also saw Dr. Storm in the trailer.), and it's got Ben Grimm. As along as all of that doesn't change, Johnny and Ben give each other a lot of crap, and Ben says "It's clobbering time" at least once, I'll be happy.

I agree with Turtle pretty much entirely. The ONLY two issues i had with this teaser was that nothing said "family" to me and everything too dark in tone. But it's a teaser.

You know what would sell me? Open like the AoU second trailer, with the four sitting down to dinner on the eve of disaster. Johnny ribs Ben, Ben throws a roll at Jonny, so on.... THEN kick into the Prometheus-y sci fi. Because this teaser gets THAT right.

And yah, arnim...

MCU = 616

F4 = Ultimate

Looks cool!

Are you saying that as a fan like the rest of us of the material or as a person in a company that may or may not be selling stuff based on the movie/franchise. Hate to pull this line but having watched the trailer that is not FF in any thing I recognise. As found footage movie Chronicle was v good. but looking at that trailer it looks nothing less then a a ploy to keep thr francise.

The house of Mouse is going to drive down any comic franise bit they dontcontrol an after that we could be all doomed

MCU = 616

F4 = Ultimate

Considering The Avengers clearly took more than a few nods from Ultimates (right down to casting Sam Jackson in Iron Man as Nick Fury) I'd argue the Ultimate Universe was Marvel's first draft storyboard for the MCU.

And I'd take a naked Thing Minimate. I'm not proud.

I was very impressed with Chronicle so I have full faith in Josh Tranks direction. After seeing "Whiplash", Miles alone sells the movie for me. This movie from what we have seen is more "Sci-Fi" then "Comic" which I can definately get behind. I never was the biggest fan of the original F4 films so I appreciate this different take.

I think the main problem here is that most can't seem to separate the 616 universe from the movie universes. They are similar in some ways, but very different in others. That what directing is all about, creating your own vision, and since I have faith in Josh Trank, I have faith in his vision.

(There is an Interstellar stellar and F4 trailer mix up that is going around and the similarities in those are pretty creepy.)

Fantastic 4 = Chronicle 2

I keep seeing people say this, and just don't get it. Why do you equate the two? Because...same director?

Yes, the fact that alongside Josh Trank directing; both films are gritty, rooted sci-fi esque comic book movies that features a young group of protagonists.

Edited by DarkRedShadow

I don't get why people are saying that this looks nothing like FF, I mean there's a man on fire, a nerdy looking man, a pretty blonde woman, and a rock man. Seems that they have everything in place...

Keep in mind, we are all basing this on about a minute's worth of footage, whether you feel optimistic or pessimistic, a minute that did not include some of the more troubling details we've been hearing about. I didn't see Dr. Doom furiously typing away, for example.

I think I'm just irritated because the changes that were made are so unnecessary, it reminds me of the days before Iron Man when studios thought they needed to "fix" the comic concepts to make them work. Also, I think if any property needs to go home to Marvel it is Fantastic Four, and this movie is going to prevent that from happening. It also means Namor, Galactus, and Dr. Doom may never get a quality movie representation for a decade or more.

Namor rights are at Universal, not Fox, but I share your frustration.

Funny you should mention studios fixing comic concepts pre-Iron Man because back in my day, Jarvis was a dude, not an A.I. gopher.

And Disney doesn't need FF. They've got The Incredibles 2 hitting theaters right around the same time the FF sequel is scheduled for release. (Coincidence?)

I didn't realize that about Namor, I assumed based on his relationship with the team that he was part of the Fantastic Four license. I wonder how long before he goes back to Marvel as well.

I kind of like Tony Stark talking to a Siri-esque AI, but I do think they shouldn't have called it Jarvis, especially since they're trying to bring the human Jarvis into AOS.