UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No more Fantastic four Minimates/figures?

Mattallica

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people really that bothered by this? I was a Marvel fan growing up but the FF seemed like an out-of-date comic even in the 80's. All of the movies have been horrible and, by the sounds of it, the new one will be even worse.

I'm of the mind that some properties work best set in the era in which they were created.

DC's Captain Marvel, for example, would probably work really well set in the 1940s if only because the notion of an orphaned kid living on the streets in a contemporary, urban American setting is a little far-fetched. Billy Batson was a paper boy and print has waned considerably. I don't see filmmakers being as faithful to the source material without maintaining the era.

Same with the Fantastic Four. These characters work great as a late 1950s/early 1960s band of brilliant scientists and astronauts. They're adventurers in the vein of Indiana Jones but instead of lost relics, they encounter weird science created here on Earth, below its surface, or out in the cosmos.

And maybe setting the FF in another era is a way to get them to share Fox's Marvel Cinematic Universe without crossing over. Perhaps the FF had their time back in the day just before mutants came out of the closet. Maybe the FF have been in the Negative Zone ever since or stuck in an alternate timeline. There's a way to make this work.

I'm gonna go grab a drink now.

I feel like the idea of other universes is a good way to bring in the other properties, if Disney ever wants to sign those checks. Even still, I'd be okay with them all being re-cast and re-developed.

With the exception of maybe Spider-Man... I'm actually a big fan of Andrew Garfield, even if not Webb's execution otherwise. What do you think, has that world diverged so much as to not be possible to be concurrent with the MCU? Should Disney just decide to coordinate story with Sony, rather than buying the property back? - Sony already has some depth planned w/ Venom, Sinister 6, etc., so a buyback seems unlikely for years.

The first movie could be in the same U. Lizard people in NYC, sure, but it was largely contained. Wouldn't need to have been necessarily addressed in the Marvel movies yet. It's also plausible they could not talk about Spidey - they hardly mention the Avengers in e.g. the SHIELD series as it is. Have the events in the Spider-U been "small" enough to be plausibly folded into Marvel should Disney pull a whammy and throw Garfield into the Infinity mix? Or is this a shitty idea?

Sony's in such financially dire straits lately that it not only makes sense for Disney to pay them for Spidey rights but maybe to make a bid for Columbia Pictures. After Fox's failed bid to acquire Time-Warner, I'm a little surprised they didn't go after Columbia themselves.

But in terms of the MCU, I don't see why Garfield's Spidey can't coexist with Marvel Studios' heroes. Marvel's already explaining why the Netflix Hell's Kitchen heroes have been flying under the radar; they're neighborhood heroes while the Avengers are global heroes. You can't get more "neighborhood" than Spidey!

where do I sign to get you attached to the next movie?

There's a petition site around here somewhere... ;)

There are so many blended families now that Jordan's casting really didn't bother me. In this day and age, it doesn't even really need to be explained. But as a period piece set back in the late 50s or early 60s? Oh, yeah. That would need some 'splainin'.

Sidebar: What's funny is that on The Flash, Barry was raised in part by his future wife's father, which makes his foster sibling-like relationship to Iris kinda icky to some people.

I remember when Marlon Wayans was cast as Robin for 1992's Batman Returns and I was totally against it. Even then it made no sense for a rich white guy who was already at the top of the list of Batman suspects to further implicate himself by adopting a non-white kid. They needed to be the same color so I was happy when Burton cut Robin out altogether.

But the FF aren't exactly concealing identities here.

That's the least of my concerns at the moment. Doom as an evil computer programmer, a description of their costumes as "containment suits," a lack of interest in the source material, and a general lack of understanding by the cast of what the director is going for are cause for concern.

Edited by karamazov80

If the intent is to make the FF as if they could exist in this world, then I can see fictional Latveria existing as part of Doom's online "community," World of Warcraft style. Therefore Doombots become viral malware and "Latverians" under his virtual control are his subserviant minions who could be terrorists anywhere. (Shades of Hail, HYDRA!)

What I saw of the Doom costume looked creepy enough. And Doom's anonymous online persona might make actually him look and sound more authentic than the last two movies did. Doom as an avatar could look exactly like a Kirby drawing.

As for the containment suits, isn't that kinda how the suits were explained in the first film? Suits that were specifically designed with each character's power in mind? Besides, "containment suits" make perfect sense in a real-world adaptation. Look at the recent ebola scare and it's not hard to imagine the general public overreacting to a quartet of astronauts becoming irradiated and mutated by cosmic rays.

People seemed mostly okay with that Dark Knight movie despite the fact that Bruce Wayne was a reluctant Batman who had nothing to do with the Joker's origin. The same people messed with Bane's origin, too, and Ra's al Ghul was a legacy character rather than an immortal who occasionally took a dunk in the Lazarus Pit. Sure, that bothered purists but from the sounds of things, this FF film could be to Marvel's First Family what Christopher Nolan was to the Batman franchise.

I think MisterPL is right. We all want "our" FF movie, and when the news and rumors indicate we're getting something else, we get pissed without ever giving it a chance. This movie has a good creative team and a good cast, and honestly what I've heard about it sounds fine. Remove the title, and I bet no one would be bashing the movie. And I think in the Ultimate FF, they also wore containment suits.

Edited by Turtle

After marvels success in showing that comic book movies can be done faithfully and that fans respond better to those films, it pisses me off that they still think they have to make the FF fit in to a real world setting this way.

I will probably watch this like I watched the Michael bay transformers movies, and like those, X3, wolverine origins, and the resident evil movies, I will classify as fan fiction.

Remove the title, and I bet no one would be bashing the movie.

But that's the problem: it's not a Fantastic Four movie in anything but title. If they want to make some movie about four random people who gain weird abilities from a lab accident, more power to them. But don't call it Fantastic Four. Fantastic Four was the comic that re-defined superhero comics in the 60s and directly led to the creation of the Marvel Universe we all know and love. They're Marvel's first family. They deserve to be treated with respect, and that's the exact opposite of what they're getting here. So much of what's being done with this movie (and the last two movies too, to a certain extent) seems to be a case of "that's lame or silly, we have to make it cool or bad ass." Making the costumes containment suits, renaming Doom and making him a blogger, the rumors of it being a found footage film; all of that spits in the face of how great the Fantastic Four can be, provided you don't come into it thinking they're "lame." That's the same kind of thinking that got us Man of Steel. They're super heroes; people need to stop being ashamed of that.

And, for the record Turtle, absolutely none of the above rant is aimed at you

Glantern, I'm with you.

Look at Thor. Marvel took the concept of Agrarian gods, tweaked it ever so slightly to imply that gods are just another form of alien race, but otherwise put out a story faithful to the comics, and look how great it has been

there is nothing about the classic fantastic 4 they could not translate well to screen, with just ever so slight a tug here and there