UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No more Fantastic four Minimates/figures?

Mattallica

I was just reading on CBM about Marvel possibly canceling the FF comic so as not to support the forthcominng Josh Trash Trank film. in the article ( http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108727#1q1hslr13VRjQubj.99 )

it stated "Diamond Select Toys being banned from making any Fantastic Four action figures." has anyone heard this before? Zach care to comment?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight from the ask DST...

http://www.artasylum.com/2014/09/ask-dst-255-modern-marvels/

"DSTChuck: Right now we are not able to make characters from the FF, but as soon as that changes we will consider them."

Glad we got that nice wave of FF in before that!

Edited by JeffBohn

I was reading about the final issue (FOREVER, FOR REALS!) coming out next year but it didn't mention this. Honestly, I don't buy it. After Hickman, the F4 went downhill and any attempt to re-launch it has proven futile (not to mention the horrendous scene at the end of FF).

Plus, the film will be a flop. Everything from the leaked pics to the interviews has been awful. They have no respect for the source material, instead, they want to make a "hip and cool" cash-grab. The FF supporting characters are far too good to be butchered by Fox and I do hope they revert back to Marvel.

But, I don't think Marvel would do something like this because it doesn't make any sense. The only people who were reading FF were comic fans to begin with, canceling the book and all merchandise isn't going to magically make the forget about it and boycott the movie. I "get" the motive but it doesn't make much sense.

EDIT: Just saw the AskDST thing. Damn, that's sad. Thank god we got pretty much all the important FF characters (Annihilus, Blastaar, Puppet Master). I'm assuming this doesn't expand on the cosmic characters like Galactus and the Surfer, because otherwise pretty much all cosmic characters are locked.

Edited by Kostisfire

I'll be somewhat sad if we actually can't get movie FF minimates just because I like having this massive Minimate Cinematic Universe and the movie minimates are the only ones I collect obsessively.

So :( on Marvel for trying to kill this movie so hard that fans get screwed over. But I can understand why. I'd want Galactus back myself.

Dang it'd be crazy if they canceled FF.

On the Minimates side, I won't mind if we don't get FF Minimates for a long while. I've never been a big fan of FF to begin with, and how many variations of FF costumes do we really need? Though if some secondary characters who have never been made get snuck in a random assortment, that'd be cool.

Hmm I guess that probably means we won't be getting The Amazing Bag-Man anytime soon.

Not likely. This is easy for Marvel to do as, really just a symbolic protest against Fox holding onto those rights, b/c the FF aren't hugely popular. No way we'll see Spidey and Wolvie merchandise drying up.

So :( on Marvel for trying to kill this movie so hard that fans get screwed over.

Normally I'd agree with you, but considering the approach with this movie was to keep the name Fantastic Four but treat everything else as expendable, I'm hard pressed to feel any sympathy for Fox. I thought we had finally gotten away from this idea that comic properties need to be "fixed" before they can make a movie. I guess not.

X-men is still "consistently" Marvel's better selling comic property, with Avengers taking a close 2nd and Spider Man in 3rd (only by virtue of having less titles than the other pillars). It doesn't mean much to Marvel anymore, but I mostly keep faith that by doing any sort of rebooting/retooling Inhumans as X-men analogues, it will sever a ton of goodwill with the fans.

Marvel's recent push with the Inhumans hasn't gone anywhere for example. Inhumanity flopped hard.

Another issue is that Marvel treats the F4 like its a property they are forced to put out with little care or understanding. They tried pushing Fraction, one of their biggest critical writers at the time on it, and it failed immensely (writing was to blame if you ask me). Robinson tries to use lore and continuity well, but it doesn't really keep things interesting like how PAD does with the same type of use.

I'd rather they take F4 off the market in terms of comics if Marvel can't actually try with it, rather than watch it shamble its way to shelves.

i always kind of wanted a Psycho Man.... mostly out of my nostalgia for 90's ToyBiz action figures.

I wonder what this means for from of the big hitters in the MU that are traditionally tied to the F4 like Doom & Namor?

Sounds like someone's been using the Psycho Ray on the execs at Marvel. Fear, doubt, hate. . .yep, it all fits.

Namor's film rights are apparently associated with Universal (who own no other major comic character that I'm aware of), so I don't think he would be lumped into all of this. Doom definitely would, though. Which is too bad, seeing as how he is the Lex Luthor of the Marvel Universe.

Edited by karamazov80

I am a big FF fan, so this is definitely a bummer. At the very least I was hoping for a Wizard some day. And I agree with Nessex that a Psycho Man minimate would be most welcome. I still think that Series 48 and the accompanying TRU wave were some of the best Minimates ever made.

Been reading about this for awhile now. For me it boils down to Disney wanting to get the rights back for movie projects. I think the only character safe from the Disney comic axe will be Spidey. IMO anything else is going to be fair game. FF is being moved away from the marvel core. X-men are being pushed aside for the Inhumans and the good thing about this for me is no Wolverine for awhile.

Next in the crosshairs I'm guessing will be Deadpool. If there is any grain of truth to the rumours seems that the Deadpool movie going ahead will fit in with the Fox X-men universe and not the Disney Marvel Universe so as it is that Disney dont promote other projects as so well I would guess Deadpool will be moved down the comic ladder.

i always kind of wanted a Psycho Man.... mostly out of my nostalgia for 90's ToyBiz action figures.

I wonder what this means for from of the big hitters in the MU that are traditionally tied to the F4 like Doom & Namor?

Namor has already started moving away from FF with the Cabal

X-Men is definitely next. You'll be seeing a lot less of Deadpool as well, I imagine. They stand to make much more money if these properties revert back to Marvel. For now, the relative pittance they receive isn't worth the effort of even mentioning these films on Marvel.com.

Spidey is safe because Marvel controls all merchandising for that. Not only do they get a cut of the box office but they get 100% of all merchandise, unlike the Fox deals where they have to share.

I'm guessing this is why Marvel's positioning The Inhumans to replace X-Men, if there's any truth to that rumor.