UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ant-Man Minimates?

MisterPL

The troubled Ant-Man movie is just ten months away and buzz has been cynical since Edgar Wright left the production. Still, Marvel's keeping the project on schedule and doing their best to remain optimistic. And if they can polish this turd, they're the next Pixar as far as Disney's concerned.

Avengers: Age of Ultron will own May and The Fantastic Four shows up in June. I have doubts that retailers will be as enthusiastic about the Ant-Man property in July. It could surprise everyone and become the next Guardians of the Galaxy or it could shock no one and be Marvel Studios' first big bomb.

Either way, there doesn't seem to be a lot of support so I'm wondering what collectors here are expecting in terms of Minimates.

Should DST simply offer a 4-pack based on the film? Or should they offer a full series based on the comic to coincide with the film's release? To be honest, I'm not seeing a lot of toyetic potential even when it comes to characters but I may be wrong.

That's kinda why I was leaning toward a 4-pack. Aside from Ant-Man and Yellow Jacket (per IMDb) I'm not seeing a ton of potential.

That said, they managed to squeeze two series out of The Wolverine and didn't even offer Silver Samurai or Viper in her action togs.

Maybe the trailer will be more revealing.

I've actually been more enthused about his project since Edgar Wright left.

I don't think it would be too hard to get to a regular wave with this movie. If you have Ant-Man, a flashback Ant-Man (assuming that scene ends up in the movie), civilian versions of Pym and Lang, Hope Van Dyne, and Yellowjacket you're most of the way there. Throw in a tiny Ant-Man accessory or two and you have a decent wave.

We don't know all the characters yet, but a wave isn't too much of a stretch. I'm assuming there are 2 versions of the Ant-Man suit, though. But the Iron Man three armors formula worked for the first 2 movies so I would hope there might be a final battle Ant-Man armor. Listing off possible characters:

Scott Lang in Ant-Man Suit

Hope Van Dyne

Yellowjacket

Old Hank Pym

Young Hank Pym in Ant-Man Suit

Howard Stark (I remember reading he was back, the IM2 Howard Stark)

Scott Lang Civilian

Civilian Yellowjacket character

Army Builder (Some high tech thug? No idea.)

I'd like to see a young 70s Nick Fury (Shaft?) but that is wishful thinking on the flashback scenes, haha. There might not be a lot visually appealing civilians which seems to be the worry. But I like Mystery Man's suggestion to balance it out. Add the tiny figures hanging on to the civilians!

Yeah I agree with the above comments. Full wave for sure. The only thing I'd change is the Hope Van Dyne slot. Just speculation on my part, but I'm almost certain she'll put on a Wasp suit. I don't know maybe I'm stretching a bit, but you can't have an Ant-Man without a Wasp.

It really depends on what content there is in the film & what DST has access to prior to the films release.

Marvel films like to have a 'reveal' at the end of the film, which often means we don't get looks or characters we might want (FB Whiplash, Silver Samurai, etc...), and a wave made up completelty of civillians can be hard to sell.

I don't know very much about the film yet - but from the sounds of things a 4 pack with Pym, Lang, Hope & Yellowjacket might be enough?

We don't know all the characters yet, but a wave isn't too much of a stretch. I'm assuming there are 2 versions of the Ant-Man suit, though. But the Iron Man three armors formula worked for the first 2 movies so I would hope there might be a final battle Ant-Man armor. Listing off possible characters:

Hope Van Dyne

Yellowjacket

Old Hank Pym

Scott Lang Civilian

I'd like to see a young 70s Nick Fury (Shaft?) but that is wishful thinking on the flashback scenes, haha. There might not be a lot visually appealing civilians which seems to be the worry. But I like Mystery Man's suggestion to balance it out. Add the tiny figures hanging on to the civilians!

Is the Ant-man film taking place in the 70's? That's what I'm getting based on your post.

Hope Van Dyne

Yellowjacket

Old Hank Pym

Scott Lang Civilian

Is the Ant-man film taking place in the 70's? That's what I'm getting based on your post.

Hank Pym is a product of the 1970s. The film takes place now, but Pym was doing Ant Man stuff back then. Scott Lang's story is the current one.

For the record, Michael Douglas has said he never puts on an Ant-Man suit.

But please, no. At this point, I don't even really want the movie anymore, and nothing I have seen or heard makes me want merchandise from it either. I would rather see a year with relatively few comic movies give way to a surplus of comic based waves for a change, we have to draw the line somewhere with all these movies and TV shows.

For the record, Michael Douglas has said he never puts on an Ant-Man suit.

I wouldn't expect him to either. But couldn't there be a flashback scene with a younger Hank Pym (younger actor, not Michael Douglas) in a "Mark I" suit? Pure speculation, which is always the fun part when we are going on nothing. smile.png

I feel for you Valo! But with Marvels plan of 2 films per year, plus whatever Sony & Fox put out.... you might be out of luck sad.png

Oh I know, and as much as I love the films, mostly anyway (that new FF....ugh), as Marvel spreads their releases throughout the year and other studios who have some of the licenses try to build a cinematic universe (good luck with that Sony) it's going to get to a point where some properties are going to have to get skipped if we're going to continue to see a fair number of comic waves, which is the whole reason we have Marvel 'mates in the first place. And also, there's something to be said for profitability. Is anyone excited for the new Fantadtic Four? I haven't heard a single person who is eager to see it, and the buzz on Ant-Man since Edgar Wright left is mostly negative to ambivalent.

Just because they could make 'mates for a film or show, it doesn't mean they should. (Thanks Dr. Malcolm.)

I think part of the reason Wright left was because Marvel changed direction.

When he originally started, this movie wasn't necessarily supposed to tie in with the rest of Marvel's films. Now they're dead set on making this part of the MCU. Obviously the former scenario allows for a lot more creative freedom while the latter is like working on comics themselves, with an editor sitting over your shoulder making sure everything fits with all the other titles.

It's that process that's given Marvel Studios an eviable track record, from Iron Man through Guardians of the Galaxy. If a director is willing to work within certain parameters, you get some entertaining stuff. Otherwise you get drama.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Ant-Man but I was curious to see what Wright could do with what I considered then to be a C-list character at best. Now there's a lot more pressure for each film to succeed so treating this movie like a back-up story ain't gonna happen. Knowing the Disney Hype Machine will be going full tilt to promote this property, I'm hopeful that it'll do well and be a fun flick.

I'm also curious to see exactly how they tie this movie in with the others, by a few simple Easter eggs or a stinger featuring a recruiting Avenger.

Hope Van Dyne

Yellowjacket

Old Hank Pym

Scott Lang Civilian

Hank Pym is a product of the 1970s. The film takes place now, but Pym was doing Ant Man stuff back then. Scott Lang's story is the current one.

Oh I see! So Ant-man was a hero in the 70's as Pym, but the film takes place in current times as Pym has passed the mantle of Ant-man onto Scott Lang. BTW, Ant-man first appeared in 1962.

FYI, I wasn't 100% sure at the time about the 70s timeline thing, but I did a quick Google search before that post that said the Stark Expo in IM2 was in 1974. Since the actor playing Howard Stark was representing that time and is reprising his role, I assumed Hank Pym's story starts in the 70s. But I've read nothing that explicitly mentions the 1970s. It might be out there, though. Just putting 2 and 2 together on my part. smile.png

What if... just throwing his out there... DST expanded each wave. 5 distinct sets per wave. The wave prior to a movie release could be three movie sets/two comic sets. Then, as reference art becomes available and hype builds, the series after the movie could be three comic and two movie. Maybe you'd lose a wave or two per year to offset the increased offerings, but perhaps the spacing would make more sense?