UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bronze Meddling Wave 6: Villains for Hire [pg12]

elhonez

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good looking customs, man. A couple of them could totally pass as official ones.

That H'ylthri is giving me some ideas based on how to customize the animated wave's Man-Thing depending on how cartoon-y he comes out looking..

I really appreciate these customs. Marvel has such a rich library of characters, I love when somebody goes outside the box.

And Constrictor is a great character that deserves to be made. I loved the story where he screwed over the Serpent Society. You know if you're looking for ideas for another project, Gru's Cap run wouldn't be the worst idea :)

Edited by bigvis497

I'm sure I've got some Cap stuff on the "master list." But at the moment I'm fairly obsessed with the Heroes for Hire and related characters. Unhealthily. My next batch keeps growing in scope, despite my intentions to keep it small. I may even have an idea for Shao Lao. :D We'll see how the R&D goes...

Love Steel Serpent. I never thought to make him, but I should. BTW, if you don't know, Dave has a Misty Knight hairpiece available in his Shapeways shop.

I made Constrictor a couple years ago; you can see him here:

http://dinosaursinf14s.blogspot.com/2011/10/minimate-customs-bring-on-bad-guys.html

One of my favorite characters and designs. I agree that he makes for a swell looking toy.

Holy crap Hellpop - that Constrictor looks GREAT! I love the use of Omega Red tentacles. Arnim Zola - what do you have up your sleeve? Is there a particular corner of the MU you're interested in de-obscurifying?

Muahahahaha,

Well, Ive been sketching out minimates in scale before attempting them as customs. So far its difficult and everything is by hand and my sculpting is not where I want it yet. Also with a baby time is a big factor on what I get done. Ive been tackling ghost rider villains/allies Ive always liked as the supernatural/magic side of marvel and it has less representation than the cosmic side.

So now Im rereading old back issues and remembering more and more GR and midnight sons related material that I loved growing up and would love as mates, making them my priority.

There are some characters like constrictor I would like but as soon as I start Im afaid that he will lead to all the serpent society for a cap beat down. Then everybody is going to need a beatdown. Mr Hyde, Living laser, chemistro, ultimo, kurse, ulik, ymir, enchantress, skurge diablo, wizard, frightful four, Ufoes, zzzax, Xemnu the titan, bi beast, the circus of crime. And these are just avengers tree villains. Mutants and spidey, and avenger heroes have plenty of representation. Is it too much to ask for a Graviton or Purple man minimate?

Love Steel Serpent. I never thought to make him, but I should. BTW, if you don't know, Dave has a Misty Knight hairpiece available in his Shapeways shop.

I made Constrictor a couple years ago; you can see him here:

http://dinosaursinf14s.blogspot.com/2011/10/minimate-customs-bring-on-bad-guys.html

One of my favorite characters and designs. I agree that he makes for a swell looking toy.

I like Dave's hairpiece... it would make a good upgrade to my Nightshade I think. I did a Misty years ago, but (probably unsurprisingly) it was a classic version...

4933193647_472ceeb8d2.jpg

based on...

Misty_Knight_001.gif

That's not bad at all, actually. That's the Athena face? I think with new hair that would still work. You might want to try this one:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1889&n=Sofie+Fatale

Hair wise, I'd probably go with this one:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=686&n=Starbuck

Can be hard to find, though.

Thanks Netglow!

And thanks Hellpop for the hair suggestion - that Starbuck hair looks much better than what I've got going... dare I say "perfect?" I'll try it with Athena first, see where that gets me.

Also: I have finalized my next 12 figure plan. A little bit of glue, more paint than usual, and LOTS of decals. I'm thinking of it as a proper "wave", with a 4-pack, three 2-packs, one variant pack, and... a BAF? Early September or mid-October, we'll see...

Making good progress but in a bit of a parts desert at the moment... I don't guess anyone has an old school (1st release) Iron Fist mask laying around, or a Kidpool hood? Joker (from Harley pack) trench coat & arms? These three things are kinda pricey to buy a whole figure for. PM me if you happen to have 'em. I'll also update my trade thread later.

You might reasonably guess what the fist hood is for, but you'll never guess what the Joker trench will be used for. :) I heart obscure.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, he turned out really well! Doesn't sound like that hard a formula either. I might have to borrow that.

There's one character in particular I'm really hoping you do. He plays a major role in the very last issue of Power Man and Iron Fist. Don't want to say any more then that.

About that character you were hoping for... I may have done it for this upcoming batch. Who was it?

Latest batch is more or less done, and this time I've focused mostly on the Heroes for Hire supporting characters.

I imagined it as a wave, that starts with a four-pack of the Sons of the Tiger:

20965018040_a4feccab3d.jpg

Back in the Marvel kung fu craze, they were imagined as a rainbow team of martial arts experts who squared off against some inter dimensional foes and blah blah blah. If their amulets look familiar, it's because they were later reunited on one man, Hector Ayala, the White Tiger. Apparently, these dudes just threw their powerful amulets that gave them super-powers into the bin, because Lotus Shinchuko over there Yoko-Onoed the band and they broke up over a love triangle. I don't know the exact circumstances, but I think if it were me I'd just hang on to that little super-powered amulet, irreconcilable differences notwithstanding.

The rest of the lot is a proper wave in my mind, with a BAF in the form of Shao Lao the Undying, the dragon that Iron Fist bear-hugged to get his chi powers. The army-builder is an Incinerator, Marvel's low-rent version of a dalek. He comes packed with Professor Alphonse Gamble, Marvel's Dr. Who "tribute." The alt character is one Captain Hero, a Billy Batson-alike powered adult version of a sick young boy, who ended up "killing" "Iron Fist" in the last issue of PM/IF. Of course, he turned out to be the Super Skrull, and Iron Fist was just a sentient plant doppelgänger. Because Marvel.

The two-packs are El Aguila, who needs no introduction, along with the Thunderbolt, who probably does. Next up is the K'un-Lun two pack of Yu-Ti, the "August Personage in Jade," with Lei Kung the Thunderer. I can't hear Yu-Ti's name without thinking about

with his name inserted...

Anyway, enjoy! Recipes available on request.

21142928922_bb2198f567.jpg

20966348669_cb88be84f6.jpg

20965251378_c738c59bfe.jpg

There he is, Captain Hero! My man!

BTW, Elhonez, I saw you mention Alien Legion in Dave's thread. I didn't want to hijack his custom thread, but I've made a few Legionnaires using the classic Cylon chests, and they work really, really well. Here's a photo of Tamara and Torie Momtroc:

post-1943-0-36957900-1441492995_thumb.jp

I've also made Sarigar (the snake guy) since then, using the Battle Beast snake body (naturally) and a Nightcrawler head. His face isn't perfect (he's too happy looking), but the match is too close not to use it. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good helmet for Jugger; the Silver Age Cyclops is probably the closest match.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you. You're right, the book still holds up very, very well.