UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What comics are people currently reading?

THE_CRIPPLER

I tried getting into the new Ghost Rider comic, but it seemed too...kid-ish for me. I think I managed to read the first two or three issues. I miss the dark Ghost Rider comics from the 90's. I also picked up the last two issues of Spawn. I haven't read a Spawn comic since around issue 100. I had no idea that Al Simmons was no longer Spawn (although I heard he is returning). I have also been rereading my Danger Girl comics again. I forgot how much fun those were!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried getting into the new Ghost Rider comic, but it seemed too...kid-ish for me. I think I managed to read the first two or three issues. I miss the dark Ghost Rider comics from the 90's.

I hear you, man. That new Ghost Rider series isn't super great. The pacing's terrible, there's not enough supernatural stuff, and any promise it had is quickly disappearing. That said, I thought Tradd Moore's crazy exaggerated art was amazing and so wonderfully kinetic I ended up just buying the book for it. Also, it is hands down way better than the last Ghost Rider series (the one that launched out of Fear Itself).

Personally, I'd love to see the return of the Spirits of Vengeance style book with a seasoned Rider taking a rookie under his belt. Which oddly seems like how the books always end up right before they get cancelled (John and Danny right before Aaron left, John and Alessandra(?) before that was canned, and what seems to be John and Robbie in the next couple of months). Bring on the darkness! More villains on Motorcycles! Give me Steel Vengeance or give me death!

I tried getting into the new Ghost Rider comic, but it seemed too...kid-ish for me. I think I managed to read the first two or three issues. I miss the dark Ghost Rider comics from the 90's.

I hear you, man. That new Ghost Rider series isn't super great. The pacing's terrible, there's not enough supernatural stuff, and any promise it had is quickly disappearing. That said, I thought Tradd Moore's crazy exaggerated art was amazing and so wonderfully kinetic I ended up just buying the book for it. Also, it is hands down way better than the last Ghost Rider series (the one that launched out of Fear Itself).

Personally, I'd love to see the return of the Spirits of Vengeance style book with a seasoned Rider taking a rookie under his belt. Which oddly seems like how the books always end up right before they get cancelled (John and Danny right before Aaron left, John and Alessandra(?) before that was canned, and what seems to be John and Robbie in the next couple of months). Bring on the darkness! More villains on Motorcycles! Give me Steel Vengeance or give me death!

I like the new GR vol but yeah, I echo that statement. The pacing is pretty slow and Moore was the central draw. Now that he's gone the book has become a bit more stale. It's good, but it could be better. Either way, it's ending in January so I'm going to keep getting so that I'll have the complete vol. But hey, Doc Strange and Scarlet Witch will be probably be announced in NYCC, so we'll get our Supernatural Marvel fix.

MARVEL: Thor God of Thunder, Black Widow, She Hulk, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, GotG, Uncanny X Men

DC: Aquaman, Aquaman and the Others

IDW: Samurai Jack, Super Secret Crisis War

Dark Horse: Star Wars, Tomb Raider

Image: Starlight

I am surprised that people who are reading current DC aren't reading Aquaman, I regularly hear it at the top of lists.

Sadly I am not current on most of these, I have them all purchased but have been super busy and haven't been able to read much.

Thanks to whomever mentioned Starlight, I left that off my list.

I tried a bunch of the "Millarverse" (did I get that right?) titles, am sticking with Starlight so far through #5 or 6 so far, I am enjoying the story.

The recent Planet X storyline from Uncanny Avengers could inspire about 40 awesome minimate designs.

Man, Krang's Chronos Corps alone would make for one helluva wave, put them alongside Rogue, Wasp etc, to round out the good guys we already got, that would make my year Minimates-wise. Such a good book.

• 2 weeks later...

There's only two titles I collect:

Afterlife with Archie - a great horror twist on the Archie universe. And just when you thought it's all about zombies, the series suddenly takes a Lovefractian twist.

The Manhattan Projects - to satiate my sci-fi appettite. One of the best series out there!

I try several first issues, but these two stuck with me.

Zach recently got me started on Saga. I'm not so sure I am in for the long haul, but so far, so good. Think Romeo & Juliet but instead of two pissed off families, there are two pissed of species of humanoids that are able to successfully intermingle...

Current reads are few for me, just can't get into all of the newer stuff. Still, I look around and enjoy a few titles here and there.

Currently reading Daredevil, Moon Knight and Savage Hulk from Marvel. Green Arrow is my only DC title and I'm probably dropping that with the creative team change.

I picked up a trade yesterday called "The Mercenary Sea" that looked intriguing. I had never heard of it but the art caught my eye, very different from most monthlies. I'll probably check this out later today.

Other than that it's pretty much re-reading old trades of classic stuff. Just finished the Korvac Saga again.

I'm currently reading everything 616 Spider-Man:

- The Amazing Spider-Man

- The Superior Foes of Spider-Man

- Superior Spider-Man

- Edge of Spider-Verse

- Spider-Man 2099

- The Amazing Spider-Man: Learning to Crawl (1.x's)

All of these together easily make the best Spider-Man runs in recent years. The new Spider-Verse story arc is great so far and the connectivity is spectacular (pun intended). My least favorite is Learning to Crawl. I'm only reading it because it's five issues. All it is is Slott bastardizing (retelling) Spidey's origins in the modern day while connecting it to some early issues.

Shanester (post 21) - I read Life-Eaters a number of years ago (it's somewhere in my boxes and boxes o' comics).

I really liked the story. Very different idea.

Saga

Manhattan Projects

Doctor Who (both)

Sex Criminals

Just started Multiversity and Anhillator both batshit Morrison business as usual

Spidey books (Spider-verse looks great)

Bendis X-Books.

She-Hulk

Ultimate Spider-Man

All New X-Factor

Grauniads of the Galaxy

Captain Marvel.

Thor: God of Thunder (Soon to become Thwoar!)

Think that's it.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about picking up the Original Sin comics but was wondering if I need to get all the other ones also to understand the story (Thor and Loki, Hulk vs. Iron Man, etc). I am hoping I just need to get the Original Sin comics since I have a lot of other comics I still need to read yet.

I only quickly scanned everyone's lists, but what I didn't see mentioned much if at all were:

Alex + Ada (think Her, but not)

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye

C.O.W.L.

Robocop

Mercenary Sea

Think Tank

Death Vigil

Dream Police

Those last two are the weakest of the above, IMHO, but still pretty enjoyable reads. Alex + Ada and C.O.W.L. are very intriguing concepts and MtMtE is just flawlessly executed comic bookery. Robocop is a fun read, and Mercenary Sea and Think Tank are two stylistic standouts. As for stuff I saw on others' lists that I'll second a recommendation for:

IDW Turtles

Saga

Sex Crimz

Wicked and the Divine

Masters of the Universe (the only book DC is putting out that I bother with; some changes ARE off putting, but it keeps things interesting)

Daredevil

I read a TON of Marvel - pretty much all of the Avengers and X-Men titles, Spider-Man, a handful of other monthlies, and any events. I can't recommend any of those books with any real conviction, and ESPECIALLY not Axis, which is just tripe.

I was thinking about picking up the Original Sin comics but was wondering if I need to get all the other ones also to understand the story (Thor and Loki, Hulk vs. Iron Man, etc). I am hoping I just need to get the Original Sin comics since I have a lot of other comics I still need to read yet.

You only need the main books. The others add NOTHING to that story, but instead show how the event effects some of the other characters and their respective status quo.

I do NOT recommend it.

For my money, X-Tinction Agenda, X-Cutioner's Song, Age of Apocalypse, and Secret Invasion have been the best Marvel events/X-overs of my time, with AvX and Civil War coming in close behind. On the "worst" end you'd have Fear Itself, Age of Ultron, Original Sin, and - so far - Axis.

Original Sin takes concepts that make little sense and characters you probably don't care about and throws them into a blender together attempting to make them all more important than they are or should be. The end result is kind of neat, but I wouldn't ride a bull bareback through live fire to win a hundred bucks, so I wouldn't recommend reading this crap just for the payoff.

Edited by Mnemosis

Marvel

Spiderverse stuff. (enjoying it, lots of characters I'd buy as mates.)

Nightcrawler

Axis with Hobgoblin and Carnage. (Main thing is a bit bland at the moment but the Hobby spin off is funny.)

DC

Anything Earth 2 really. The rest I avoid.

Other

A Town Called Dragon

Astro City

Mini Fiend UK, I agree... Hobgoblin has a GREAT spin off

I have also, thanks to wave 60, gone back and started reading old uncanny x-men issues starting with 250. There's a lot back there that I'd never gotten to, and I'm really impressed with how much foreshadowing and groundwork getting laid ahead of time was done. so many of their story lines back then were nice, slow builds

Now that the TV show is on the way, I need to get caught up on Powers.

That's funny, I had no idea they were doing a show. I had volume 1 for years, and just stumbled across some subsequent volumes at the library.

Mnemosis, MTMTE is maybe my favourite book coming out right now. I definitely wasn't expecting to suddenly find Megatron such a compelling character.

Saga is the other contender for me, I've been reading it digitally but the art's so great I'm going to spring for that big omnibus coming out next week.

Axis, yeesh, not sure what happened there, I've loved pretty much everything in Uncanny X-Force/Avengers. For some reason so many otherwise solid Marvel writers end up producing these lame events.

I just read issue 1 of Parallel Man

Great multiverse story without superheroes.

A parallel earth where the ability to dimension hop was developed instead of nuclear energy leads to a parallel world-enslaving dictatorship.

Our earth is the next to be annexed!

Fun!

Edited by Molybdenum Man