UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A Question for all who have seen Guardians of the Galaxy

Nervous Rex

Hello all you wonderful moviegoers. I haven't been able to go see the movie yet due to some real world stuff thats been going on, but I may be able to go this weekend.

My question to you all is: In your opinion, is it a suitable movie to bring my 5 year old too?

please no spoilers when replying, thanks in advance.

I made my own topic because i have avoided opening any posts or threads that are dealing with the toys or movie so far. if this is not allowed, my apologies, and feel free to delete.

thanks again, your pal Nerv

I'm not a parent, but nothing leaps to mind that would be really objectionable, there's no blood even when there's fighting and things like that, and the violence doesn't ever come across as really harsh or threatening, at least to me. Peter Quill makes some innuendos that might be questionable, but when I was five I definitely would not have understood them, so I think you're pretty safe there. As I said though, I'm not a parent myself, so I would maybe see what other people say over my own opinion. I hope that helps, at least somewhat.

We actually discussed this recently in the other thread, and I think the opinions were a bit mixed. I personally don't think I would let a kid younger than, say, 8 or 10 years old see it anyway, but then again, my oldest is 4, so I don't really know how she'll be at that age yet. I would not bring her to see this yet, but so far she has only really seen Disney kind of stuff. I would let her see, say, Star Wars before GOTG, because I don't think the violence is as explicit and in your face, the themes aren't as "mature," and the language isn't as bad in the former.

Here is a website that reviews sites for that specific purpose:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Guardians-Galaxy-It-Safe-Enough-Your-Kids-66551.html

He does post spoilers, but some of his non-spoilery summary thoughts:

"As a parent, I wouldnt make Guardians of the Galaxy your kids first Marvel movie. If they have followed the trajectory of the Marvel movies to this point as my 10-year-old son has then they can handle the level of comic-book combat on screen in James Gunns movie."

". . .One is language, which is becoming less and less an interest in our house as I learn all the delightful curse words my 10-year-old picks up at school. (Thanks, classmates!) But there are a handful of "shits," a few "dicks" and a well-timed "bitch" in Guardians. I told you. The Rolling Stones."

He also notes that the opening scene, which involves a sad death, might be hard for some, and that the story may fly over some kids' heads.

There are some lewd jokes, but I don't think most will bother kids because I don't think kids will understand what's being discussed.

I would blush a little at bringing a 5yo to this one, Nerv. There's quit a lot of violence in it (depending on how you feel about that), and while they're not pervasive, there's enough language and innuendo in it that could lead to some uncomfortable questions.

I'd say it's been the least kid-friendly of the Marvel Studios films so far.

Coming from a guy who doesn't have kids and who saw the Terminator when he was like... 7... yeah okay my opinion has no value... But I say let the kid go. (S)he can laugh at the funny raccoon and adorable dancing tree.

There's nothing in this movie that's worse than Avengers. (Well okay there is but it'll zwing right over the kid's head) If your child handled that well enough then Guardians will be fine.

Edited by Trekker 42

Josh, I would take Nick and he will have a great time. I saw it just this last weekend and IMO the most heinous thing he would see is a middle finger by Starlord that was already revealed in previews. As Lobsterman says, there is some suggested innuendo, but nothing hard core and I don't think it would be easily detected by a 5 year old. Basically, Starlord loves the ladies...

Hey Gang! thanks for the responses. seems pretty split between thumbs up and down. Not sure what I'll do yet, i haven't even proposed this idea to my wife yet (so it could all be for nothing anyway, lol)

He did see avengers when it was on TV, and I don't think it really got to him that much. We dont ever have anything on at home in that has a lot of violence in it. The only time he was at the theatre was when we saw the lego movie, and he loved it.

I do appreciate the feedback, thanks again!

Having raised three kids into young adulthood: I would rate Guardians as okay for your 5-year-old on TV, but not in a theater. The theatrical impact is incredibly heavy on those little kids and there is a fair amount of violence in the movie (akin to Avengers). Perhaps most dangerous: near the end civilians (including kids) are put in danger (hope that's not a spoiler for you).

So yeah, my concern is not the graphic-ness of the violence, the but the impact the large screen would have a pre-schooler not used to such. My kids pretty much saw only Disney movies at that age. I remember we took them to Jumanji when they were tykes and we (the parents) had no fun -- the baby cried because of the volume, the 4-year-old got so freaked we had to leave half-way through and I'm pretty sure his older brother, while stoic, was glad for the excuse to bolt. So there's a measuring stick for you. smile.png

Edited by Cappy

So yeah, my concern is not the graphic-ness of the violence, the but the impact the large screen would have a pre-schooler not used to such. My kids pretty much saw only Disney movies at that age. I remember we took them to Jumanji when they were tykes and we (the parents) had no fun -- the baby cried because of the volume, the 4-year-old got so freaked we had to leave half-way through and I'm pretty sure his older brother, while stoic, was glad for the excuse to bolt. So there's a measuring stick for you. smile.png

My oldest got taken to see Frozen last year, and they had to leave the theater because of the scary wolves. Never had a problem on DVD, though. She still feels more comfortable sitting next to me or mommy when Mordu the bear appears in Brave, though. I don't know if she could handle that at the theaters or not.

I guess I read the question as: "is this a movie with themes/values that would be appropriate for a five-year-old to consume" vs "is a five-year-old going to be scared of the talking space raccoon?"

I think it comes down to what kind of conversation you're comfortable having with him afterwards.

I work at toys r us but have no kids of my own. After I saw the movie, I was telling everyone "Take your kids. The only bad jokes will be over their heads." Then I thought of three things: one is the emotional impact of a certain scene, one is when they ask at school what the joke that went over their head means, and finally? The language. I wouldn't want to take a five year old to see/hear this language. I agree with the eight-at-the-youngest assessment

I took my 5-year-old daughter, but we went to a drive-in and she sporadically lost interest and eventually fell asleep. I don't know if I would have taken her to a regular theater.

In regards to the emotional scenes, have you guys ever seen Disney movies? Jesus Christ, I'd never want to be a parent or loved one in a Disney movie, they drop left and right and rarely make it out of the first 30 minutes. Up has the saddest montage in the history of cinema.

In regards to bad language, there are some shits and dicks, but nothing too pervasive. Your 5-year-old has probably heard worse already. My daughter has yet to use the term "batshit" because she heard a talking raccoon say it.

In regards to sexual references, they will all go over a 5-year-old's head. If your child does ask you an "uncomfortable question," for God's sake, answer it honestly. Talk to your kids about sex: early, often, and age appropriately.

My wife and I saw the movie and loved it, that being said I have a 8 year old and a 4 year old and I wouldn't take them to see this movie. Not because its not age appropriate for 4 and 8 year olds ( it's not) but like others have said, its the combination of foul language, violence, and mature themes experienced on the BIG SCREEN that would be to much for them.I am by no means a super strict parent but I believe it is our jobs as parents to ease our kids into mature subjects not slap them across the face with them.I will let my 8 ( soon to be 9 ) year old daughter watch GOTG at home on dvd though. My four year old son. Probably not. Just my 2 cents, no diss to anyone who did take their young ones to see GOTG in theaters.

I guess my parents didn't care about my maturation process because they took me to see Lethal Weapon 4 when I was 8... I just don't know about movies having such impact on youngsters, outside of wanting to be your favorite character from the film. To each, their own.

Edited by Zak Katz

I guess my parents didn't care about my maturation process because they took me to see Lethal Weapon 4 when I was 8... I just don't know about movies having such impact on youngsters, outside of wanting to be your favorite character from the film. To each, there own.

I wasn't implying that. What I meant to say is my kids don't normally watch shows/movies like GOTG.If they did then taking them to see GOTG at the theater wouldn't be a big deal. If your kids normally watch shows of the caliber of GOTG and it has no noticable effect on them besides them wanting to be action hero X or whatever then more power to you. No judgement here.

That makes complete sense Lokash. My kid is appalled by "bad words" it's like Voldemort in Harry Potter, she gets mad. But she also had seen Chris Pratt in Parks and Recreation so she knew Star Load was Andy! Curious to anyone with little boys who have seen the movie, who are their favorite characters? And because I think that's a fun question lets open it up to everyone, daughters, sons, nephews, nieces, yours! We are a Groot household over here, and I'm looking forward to the baby dancing Groot that hopefully will be coming this Christmas season.

My nephew's favorite is Rocket with Drax and Groot tied for second.

As to language and themes his only problem was trying to understand how Rocket was the only one that seemed to understand Groot. After a long discussion about body language, tone, inflection, and how after being around someone for a long time you can just understand what they mean he hits me with "Oh you mean like R2-D2 in Star Wars?".

Needless to say I felt stupid for not making a such a simple connection as an example.

I'll add my two cents. The biggest part (imho) was toward the beginning -- Ronan's introduction scene. It basically shows how much of a fanatic whack-job he is & it may be a lil much for someone that young. It's not overly graphic, but you do see the immediate before & after.

I loved the movie tho & can't wait for the Blu-ray!!