UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Diorama Backdrop Help

So, I've been working on street scene diorama for the past few months to display my 'mates. It's been coming along pretty well, but I've hit a little snag.

I've filled it out with buildings and such, but behind it is just beige wall that I want to cover up with a city skyline. I've been coming up totally blank with ideas for how to go about it. The space I need to cover up is about 1'5" tall and 4'5" wide. I figure I'm going to need to get something printed, which isn't a problem. It's that I need to find some kind of image, and need to make sure it's big enough.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm game. Thanks in advance!

post-6503-0-23712200-1407897945_thumb.jp

Alright, managed to take a pic. So I'm gonna add in a couple more taller foreground buildings, since the Bugle is kind of gigantic compared to the others, but that's essentially it. The line of comic pages is where the ceiling starts slanting inward. I can cover up as much of that as I need to.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if you have any more questions.

A good street level shot that is panoramic is actually really hard to find at a good resolution, and for a display like this you would need something at least 4000 pixels wide. Most of my stuff is rooftop level, but I am attaching 3 options here that might work. They are all scaled to 4.5' wide by 1.5' tall. Let me know if you need help getting anything printed, as I have a local guy who I trust, and would do this size for about $30.

post-3-0-36281700-1407931764_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-49606100-1407931801_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-84016500-1407931839_thumb.jpg

A good street level shot that is panoramic is actually really hard to find at a good resolution, and for a display like this you would need something at least 4000 pixels wide. Most of my stuff is rooftop level, but I am attaching 3 options here that might work. They are all scaled to 4.5' wide by 1.5' tall. Let me know if you need help getting anything printed, as I have a local guy who I trust, and would do this size for about $30.

That first one looks like it'll fit great. I'll send you a PM for specifics and what not. Thanks a ton, Luke. :)

Dude...where'd you get those buildings?

Mostly just scouring eBay and doing tons of Googling.

The Daily Bugle is a 90's Toybiz set that you can find pretty easily on eBay. It can be a little on the expensive side, but I managed to snag mine for $60 with free shipping. It comes with those two side buildings (which aren't attached and can be moved around), and that big blue dumpster.

The police station on the right side is an older Fisher Price Imaginext set. It's part of some city builder line, so if you get enough sets you can build structures however you want. The auction I won for it included the building, the police bike, and squad car which I think come with the set if you can get it brand new. Also came with some furniture, a couple police officers and horses. Whole bundle only set me back $25.

The gas station is a Mega Bloks Alien Agency set that I've seen mentioned on here a few times. The whole Alien Agency series is pretty great, there's a fast food set that I was thinking of getting, too. The only problem is that the building style doesn't fit in too great with the others, so I might retire it from the display to free up some more room.

The Sanctum Sanctorum all the way on the left is a print out I found on a Heroclix site. It's a mix of cardstock and a sheet of foam board that I threw together in an afternoon. There aren't any small cutouts or pieces, so it's pretty easy to build. They have a couple other buildings on the site, too, so it's worth checking out. There's a gigantic Baxter Building I was thinking of doing, but I wouldn't have anywhere to fit it. Let me know if you want a link. :D

The bus stop that Alicia, May, and Max are waiting at is a Medicom KAWS set. It comes with a couple artsy Kubrick guys. There's a UK seller on eBay who keeps putting new ones up that start at $1.64, and with shipping only end up around $9.00, so definitely worth it.

The telephone pole, streetlight, and billboard on the police station are all papercraft models from WorldWorks Games. They have a ton of city props like telephone booths, benches, and trash cans that I've been putting together of the past few days and adding in. Since they're supposed to be for tabletop gaming they're scaled a little bit too small, but they work nicely as is. I'm sure if people have photoshop they can just scale them up to the perfect size.

I have my eye on some more buildings at the moment, so I'll test them out and put up more pictures when I get them