UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NEW Minimate Factory Customizing Blog

• 2 months later...

The 2nd post in this series, with a 3rd coming as soon as I need to make a 2-part mold:

Molding and Casting: Part 2

Also I moved the entire site from minimatefactory.com/blog to just minimatefactory.com and got rid of the landing page. So there might be some older links on MMV that don't work anymore. However I did update all of the ones in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, hellpop said:

Very useful! I have several customs I've made requiring collars, and it's always a pain. This solution is ingenious. Do you know if these collars fit well over a cape or other chestpiece?

I just checked and it works fine. :)

J8WbKMD.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have been forgetting to post updates here! Earlier this year, I announced 2019 as the Year of Minimate Customizing on my Facebook and Instagram pages. This means an entire year of customizing guides, free accessories, and contests. Here is the content I have released so far:

We have been sending free accessories with store orders as available, and also some customizing recipe cards to create specific characters. Our next customizing contest will be announced soon. :)

Love it; I had no idea you were doing all this! But now I'm following you on Instagram, and I should probably start using that a lot more.

I've been customizing a lot more recently; I find that I go through phases where I don't really do it much at all, and then when I do it fairly obsessively. in 2018 I only made a few, but this year I've made dozens. I feel like our customizing community has gotten a little quiet recently, so I'm glad that you're restarting the conversation a bit.

I really enjoyed your piece about picking out parts. This is both my favorite and least favorite part of the process. There's nothing quite like cracking the code on a character and realizing that you've got all the pieces to bring them to life, especially if it's a unique part that's been cluttering your bin for ages (last night, for example, I realized that the Squadron Supreme villain the Scarlett Centurion wears basically the same cape as Raven). But I *hate* searching for parts. I feel like I spend way too much time sifting through my bins looking for that one foot that has the printing that I want. I recently moved all my parts to a setup like the one you have, and that's helped at least.

I never considered using a spreadsheet to track customs. I do keep a list of all the characters that I want to make, and when I finish one and put them away I write Done! next to their name and boy is that satisfying. My biggest problem is that I sometimes set aside parts for a custom and then forget who they are for. That's embarrassing....

31 minutes ago, hellpop said:

My biggest problem is that I sometimes set aside parts for a custom and then forget who they are for. That's embarrassing....

I have done that more times than I can count. :lol:

I have about a dozen minimate customs that I have pieced together that are waiting on one thing or another to be completed. Either decals, paint, pieces off of shapeways or some small finishing touch like a collar that I don’t own and have been too lazy to track down. Thanks for the resources, Luke! These were great reads!

Don't know if it helps anyone but I keep all my 689 completed customs in Plano cases. This keeps them manageable and easily stored. It also makes it easier to keep track of in progress projects by giving them their own slot with a small scrap of paper listing the custom's name and the parts still needed to complete it. Then for good measure I take a picture of the completed custom, similar to Ivan's Minimate Database, and add it to a dedicated SD card just to be sure I don't loose track of who the character is supposed to be. Yes, I admit it, I am a complulsive organizer when it comes to my minimate collection.